SmallNetBuilder Forums
Go Back   SmallNetBuilder Forums > Wireless Networking > ASUS Wireless > ASUS N Routers & Adapters

Old 01-24-2013, 07:31 PM

got_milk is just starting out
Smile Why I love this router.

A lot of problematic threads in this forum - I want to lighten it up a bit!

I had about 11GB of video I need to encode to play on a TV that I needed to move from my laptop to my main desktop to do the actual encoding on. Usually over wireless I'm looking at a pretty long wait and I generally just end up digging out an extra ethernet cable and doing it over wire.

I haven't needed to do a large sustained transfer really yet with the RT-N66U...except for today. I figured, why not?

This is on the 5GHz band, in a room across from the router (separated by two walls), using firmware 3.0.0.4.260. It took about 7 minutes to transfer it. The client is a 2011 MacBook Pro running Windows 8 under Bootcamp.

I've owned routers that promised and were reviewed to have excellent wireless performance and have really let me down on that front. I am utterly shocked by how fast that transfer went with the RT-N66U, however. And it looks like Asus is continuing to add useful functionality through updates!

It might've been one heck of an expensive router, but it's sure worth it.
The Following User Says Thank You to got_milk For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2013, 07:53 PM

dsring is just starting out

Agreed...the RT-N66U is the best wireless router that I have ever owned.
The Following User Says Thank You to dsring For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2013, 08:51 PM

mromero is just starting out

Quote:
Originally Posted by got_milk View Post
A lot of problematic threads in this forum - I want to lighten it up a bit!

This is on the 5GHz band, in a room across from the router (separated by two walls), using firmware 3.0.0.4.260. It took about 7 minutes to transfer it. The client is a 2011 MacBook Pro running Windows 8 under Bootcamp.
Do you have QoS enabled?
Old 01-24-2013, 08:52 PM

kerriskandiesinc is just starting out

I recently changed from a ( v fast) WNDR4500 Netgear.....and regularly copy 4GB+ files, wirelessly, distance from NAS to MacBook Pro avg 75 feet........now the Netgear was fast..( gave it to my M in Law)..........the Dark Knight is even faster.........taking on avg about 10-20% less time!!!...

Now...if only I can get it to play nicely with my USB attached external, Mac formatted H-Drives!!!!!
Old 01-24-2013, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mromero View Post
Do you have QoS enabled?
Yes I do, there's enough network activity that playing games would be miserable without it!
Old 01-24-2013, 09:16 PM
Very Senior Member

jsmiddleton4 is just starting out

Me too.

Can't imagine playing with as many firmware's as I have on any other router and not have bricked it by now.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:46 PM

Mark the Red is just starting out

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsring View Post
Agreed...the RT-N66U is the best wireless router that I have ever owned.
Hear! Hear! This thing is awesome. Its like a super fast router with a pretty fast / stable NAS to boot. Just love being able to whimsically watch .mkv files on my TV with ALL my computers off.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:20 PM

SoCalReviews is just starting out

Quote:
Originally Posted by got_milk View Post
Yes I do, there's enough network activity that playing games would be miserable without it!
With the RT-N66U I have never needed to use QoS for gaming, VOIP or any other application. I leave QoS turned off to avoid extra processing power required to prioritize the packets. It doesn't make sense to negatively impact the router's processor to sort out, prioritize and delay certain packets when the real bottleneck, lags and delays are coming from the limitations of the internet connection itself. Those limitations aren't going to be solved entirely with the router's QoS settings. It may be an issue of the better your internet bandwidth the less important QoS becomes. I can use VOIP or real time gaming with multiple systems while streaming HD video over my 100Mpbs down cable internet without any problems. However with my older Netgear WNDR-3700v2 it seemed like I needed to use QoS but it never worked very well. I noticed a decrease in lag and big improvement for responsiveness while doing online gaming (PS3) when I switched to the RT-N66U with the default of QoS turned off.

Last edited by SoCalReviews; 01-26-2013 at 05:29 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:44 PM
Very Senior Member

RogerSC is just starting out

The best router I've had for full-house wireless coverage, reliability, and robustness in the face of lots of firmware version flashes *smile*. Very little worry that it will stop working, and it works better and does more than any other router that I've had.

There have been some bumps in the road, but generally speaking I've chosen to drive over them *smile*.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalReviews View Post
With the RT-N66U I have never needed to use QoS for gaming, VOIP or any other application. I leave QoS turned off to avoid extra processing power required to prioritize the packets. It doesn't make sense to negatively impact the router's processor to sort out, prioritize and delay certain packets when the real bottleneck, lags and delays are coming from the limitations of the internet connection itself. Those limitations aren't going to be solved entirely with the router's QoS settings. It may be an issue of the better your internet bandwidth the less important QoS becomes. I can use VOIP or real time gaming with multiple systems while streaming HD video over my 100Mpbs down cable internet without any problems. However with my older Netgear WNDR-3700v2 it seemed like I needed to use QoS but it never worked very well. I noticed a decrease in lag and big improvement for responsiveness while doing online gaming (PS3) when I switched to the RT-N66U with the default of QoS turned off.
Unfortunately with a 16/1 connection and 3-4 consistently heavy users of that bandwidth I simply cannot get by with having QoS off. Low-latency applications can be miserable to use when the connection's bogged down.

I also came from a WNDR3700v1 with OpenWrt and noticed an improvement with the RT-N66U overall with QoS on. I don't think it's having QoS off, I think it's how much better the router is.
The Following User Says Thank You to got_milk For This Useful Post: