SmallNetBuilder Forums
Go Back   SmallNetBuilder Forums > Wireless Networking > ASUS Wireless > ASUS AC Routers & Adapters

Old 01-15-2013, 10:43 PM

Gingernut is just starting out
Default 3.0.0.4.321 Beta Firmware for RT-AC66U

New beta build posted.

http://www.asus.ru/ftp/NW_TO_TEST/RT....0.0.4_321.trx

Don't know what's been changed/added/corrected, just test and find out.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:21 PM
Very Senior Member

njweb is just starting out

Has anyone tried this firmware to see if it helps to resolved the issue some users have reported (not sure if it affects all users) of the 5 GHz signal weakening (gradually) over time?
Old 01-23-2013, 07:26 PM

dimonsf is just starting out

Yes had an issue with setting 802.11n always went back to g only

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 01-24-2013, 01:32 PM
Very Senior Member

mikeg is just starting out

What Beoadcom driver version do you see ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimonsf View Post
Yes had an issue with setting 802.11n always went back to g only

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 01-24-2013, 05:07 PM
Very Senior Member

Thumbs up

Ok , as no one answered I upgraded to the Beta and look at it :
Broadcom BCM4331 802.11 Wireless Controller 6.30.102.9 (r366174)
from before 6.30.39.31 (r341183) .
Now I will test if this new driver is giving better signal strength stability and connection speed.

Update : have been up now for more than 12 hours , the Asus USB-N53 canĘt have a connection speed higher than 108 Mbps steadily ,
have it connected on the 5 GHz - band. The trougput is better than before , signal strength -25 dbm but on the 2.4 Ghz band I have a signal strength of -15 dbm.
inSSider shows a stable signal strenth on the 5 GHz band. A part seems to ve solved with the new drivers but the connect spped NOT.

Update 2 : Got an answer from Asus about the Beta firmware , first answer was that it was the same drivers as befiore , when I pointed out the that the drivers version was not
the same I got the following answer :
After double-checking, the BETA firmware does contain new drivers but they are no official release as we are still tweaking it for stability.
So there are still stability problems with the drivers. I just wonder how long we are supposed to wait for a solution ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg View Post
What Beoadcom driver version do you see ?

Last edited by mikeg; 01-26-2013 at 07:03 AM.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:54 AM
Very Senior Member

Eek

Quote:
Ok , as no one answered I upgraded to the Beta and look at it :
Broadcom BCM4331 802.11 Wireless Controller 6.30.102.9 (r366174)
from before 6.30.39.31 (r341183) .
Now I will test if this new driver is giving better signal strength stability and connection speed.

Update : have been up now for more than 12 hours , the Asus USB-N53 canĘt have a connection speed higher than 108 Mbps steadily ,
have it connected on the 5 GHz - band. The trougput is better than before , signal strength -25 dbm but on the 2.4 Ghz band I have a signal strength of -15 dbm.
inSSider shows a stable signal strenth on the 5 GHz band. A part seems to ve solved with the new drivers but the connect spped NOT.

Update 2 : Got an answer from Asus about the Beta firmware , first answer was that it was the same drivers as befiore , when I pointed out the that the drivers version was not
the same I got the following answer :
After double-checking, the BETA firmware does contain new drivers but they are no official release as we are still tweaking it for stability.
So there are still stability problems with the drivers. I just wonder how long we are supposed to wait for a solution ?

Thanks for the update. So you now have a stable connection on 5 GHz right (no longer gradually dies)? That is good news.

Re. the slow link rates (you noted 108 Mbps), 2 meters between the router and client might be a bit CLOSE since a strong signal (and your sjgnal strengths certainly are very strong) very close by can actually have adverse effects (juts like turning TX power too high can have an adverse effect, which is why, as per RMerlin, Asus reduced the max TX power).
Have you tried distance a little further away to see if you can get a higher speed?

In any case, I would advise trying LAN Speed Test and checking your actual throughput which is more meaningful than the software reported link rate anyway.

Interesting that they are having issues with the RT-AC66U since other than the 802.11ac component this is the same as the N66U!!! Although the reviews seem decent so I wonder what the root cause of the issues is for those who are experiencing them...
Old 01-26-2013, 10:11 AM
Very Senior Member

Exclamation

I have not had the Beta fw up for more than 1and a half day so it to soon to know if the signal degradation will occur here too.
I have the TP-Link router with the same distance and no problem with the connection speed.
Actually I have been running a similar test like LAN Test and the results from
the AC66U is not good especially dsownload speed , upload speed is better.
If I run the same speed test on the TP-Link I get better values on both download and upload. I have a 100 / 100 Mbps fiber connection.
The problem as I see it is the Broadcom drivers which are not working correctly. Looks like it will take time to fix this issue and now I have waited a long time for Asus to deliver a solution. Time to RMA the AC66U and wait and see what happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njweb View Post
Thanks for the update. So you now have a stable connection on 5 GHz right (no longer gradually dies)? That is good news.

Re. the slow link rates (you noted 108 Mbps), 2 meters between the router and client might be a bit CLOSE since a strong signal (and your sjgnal strengths certainly are very strong) very close by can actually have adverse effects (juts like turning TX power too high can have an adverse effect, which is why, as per RMerlin, Asus reduced the max TX power).
Have you tried distance a little further away to see if you can get a higher speed?

In any case, I would advise trying LAN Speed Test and checking your actual throughput which is more meaningful than the software reported link rate anyway.

Interesting that they are having issues with the RT-AC66U since other than the 802.11ac component this is the same as the N66U!!! Although the reviews seem decent so I wonder what the root cause of the issues is for those who are experiencing them...
Old 01-26-2013, 10:38 AM
Very Senior Member

Quote:
I have not had the Beta fw up for more than 1and a half day so it to soon to know if the signal degradation will occur here too.
I have the TP-Link router with the same distance and no problem with the connection speed.
Actually I have been running a similar test like LAN Test and the results from
the AC66U is not good especially dsownload speed , upload speed is better.
If I run the same speed test on the TP-Link I get better values on both download and upload. I have a 100 / 100 Mbps fiber connection.
The problem as I see it is the Broadcom drivers which are not working correctly. Looks like it will take time to fix this issue and now I have waited a long time for Asus to deliver a solution. Time to RMA the AC66U and wait and see what happens.

Keep in mind the TP-Link might have a less overpowering signal, so the same short 2m distance might work fine with that router.
Interesting about the speeds in your case not being good in your case since others (including Tim himself and Geraner) here have gotten similar speeds to the N66U when testing the AC66U which is obviously not bad.

If I get a chance, I may hook mine up this weekend.

Have you tried resetting it and / or going back to older firmwares?
Just trying to think what might help improve it for you.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:59 PM
Very Senior Member

I have the same issues with 2 stationary pc:s which are further away from the AC66U , each with an Asus USB-N53 and have the same issues with them connected to the AC66U. I had 4 N66U which I RMA:d because they did not work properly.This is my last try with Asus routers, I have tried newer firmwares as they came out , Merlins too. I have had the unit since august 2012 so I have really been patient with Asus to solve the issue.
I have resetted it , cleared the nvram and whatever else.

Quote:
Keep in mind the TP-Link might have a less overpowering signal, so the same short 2m distance might work fine with that router.
Interesting about the speeds in your case not being good in your case since others (including Tim himself and Geraner) here have gotten similar speeds to the N66U when testing the AC66U which is obviously not bad.

If I get a chance, I may hook mine up this weekend.

Have you tried resetting it and / or going back to older firmwares?
Just trying to think what might help improve it for you.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:27 PM
Very Senior Member

DaveMishSr is just starting out

Quote:
Has anyone tried this firmware to see if it helps to resolved the issue some users have reported (not sure if it affects all users) of the 5 GHz signal weakening (gradually) over time?
I am noticing that hardware acceleration is being reported as "Disabled" even though I have it on. I tried changing the disable hardware acceleration setting to yes, changing it back to no, letting the router reboot each time and then tried to refresh the SysInfo page to no avail. The reporting of hardware acceleration status is a new feature that I am looking forward to.