SmallNetBuilder Forums
Go Back   SmallNetBuilder Forums > Wireless Networking > Wireless Buying Advice

Old 10-04-2012, 02:35 PM

SeattleScott is just starting out
Default ASUS RT-AC66R vs. RT-AC66U

Does anyone know what the difference is between the RT-AC66R and the RT-AC66U? Is the AC66R just a newer hardware version?

http://usa.asus.com/Networks/Wireless_Routers/RTAC66R/

http://usa.asus.com/Networks/Wireless_Routers/RTAC66U/

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+D...C66r&cp=1&lp=1
Old 10-06-2012, 11:00 AM

lodestone is just starting out
Default RT-AC66R vs RT-AC66U

I've been asking this same question. I don't have a definitive answer yet, but here's some more info to add to the conversation. I just called ASUS customer support (812-282-2787) and asked. The representative told me that anytime they sell a product through Best Buy, they change the last character of the product number to an R. She says the only difference is that RT-AC66R is the product sold through Best Buy and RT-AC66U is the product sold directly from ASUS.

I'm not entirely sure what to think about this. When I compare the products on ASUS's site by using the Product Comparison tool, there are differences. Specifically, the RT-AC66R lists more features in the Network Standard, Encryption, and Router Special Features categories.

To see what I'm talking about, click "Add to Compare List" on both the following product detail pages:
http://usa.asus.com/Networks/Wireless_Routers/RTAC66U/
http://usa.asus.com/Networks/Wireless_Routers/RTAC66R/
Then click "Compare Now" on the pop-up window.

I'm not experienced enough with wireless networking to tell whether these differences mean a lot, and I would greatly appreciate input from someone more knowledgeable.

Thanks,
Jason
Old 10-06-2012, 12:16 PM

SeattleScott is just starting out

Thanks! That makes sense.

I noticed something else that makes me think the Best Buy version uses newer hardware. The ASUS RT-AC66U uses Utility version 4.2.6.0 (6/13/2012). The ASUS RT-AC66R uses Utility version 4.2.6.5 (9/16/2012).
Old 03-23-2013, 06:03 PM

ruggb is just starting out
Eek I have a "U"

I just checked my U and it has the RADIUS wireless encryption, so I am guessing that they R identical. The utility may be specific to BB and have some BB ads, etc. in it.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:24 AM

sowen is just starting out

I suspect the difference is in name only, so BestBuy doesn't have to do price-matching with anyone else. They do this often, including between subsidiaries (BestBuy and Futureshop, one owner, different model numbers on identical stock so you can't get a price-match).
Old 09-08-2013, 04:28 PM

Poseidon is just starting out

Quote:
Originally Posted by sowen View Post
I suspect the difference is in name only, so BestBuy doesn't have to do price-matching with anyone else. They do this often, including between subsidiaries (BestBuy and Futureshop, one owner, different model numbers on identical stock so you can't get a price-match).
Not true. Best Buy matched the price of the RT-AC66U on Amazon with their own RT-AC66R model. Saved about $20 or so. So they WILL 'price match' the U and the R models.
The Following User Says Thank You to Poseidon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2013, 08:04 PM
Very Senior Member

PrivateJoker is just starting out

From the horses's mouth here it is, I did a comparison on Asus's website.. . .some weird stuff here, definitely some that I dispute like 802.3u which is fast-ethernet auto-negotiation is definitely present in both, and I believe 802.11i is WPA!

I'd be interested if someone who has an R can photograph the bottom in a slightly high res photo to share w/ us.

Also according to Asus's own info, owners of the AC66U should be ready to flex some serious muscle cause that router is weighing in at a claimed 30lb! Best Buy must get the lightweight racing edition.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:02 PM
Very Senior Member

PrivateJoker is just starting out

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodestone View Post
I've been asking this same question. I don't have a definitive answer yet, but here's some more info to add to the conversation. I just called ASUS customer support (812-282-2787) and asked. The representative told me that anytime they sell a product through Best Buy, they change the last character of the product number to an R. She says the only difference is that RT-AC66R is the product sold through Best Buy and RT-AC66U is the product sold directly from ASUS.
<snip snip>
That's really weird and it appears to be totally accurate, every single Asus router sold natively at BB has an R, every non R Asus wifi device on their site isn't actually sold by them.

I wonder why that is and also why not go with, you know, maybe a B or a BB suffix?
Old 09-09-2013, 04:19 AM

F5ing is just starting out

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrivateJoker View Post
That's really weird and it appears to be totally accurate, every single Asus router sold natively at BB has an R, every non R Asus wifi device on their site isn't actually sold by them.

I wonder why that is and also why not go with, you know, maybe a B or a BB suffix?
I think I had read that the "R" stands for Retail. Though I don't recall ever reading about what the "U" stands for (Unretail or Universal?).

I had run across a number of threads on this forum about this when I was wondering about the difference between an RT-N66U and an RT-N66R.

Bottom line was that the devices were identical (other than how they were being sold). I recall RMerlin confirming this as well.

Trying to compare specs of two different devices on a manufacturer's website can truly be hit or miss. I find they often "miss".
Old 09-09-2013, 02:13 PM
Very Senior Member

stevech is just starting out

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruggb View Post
I just checked my U and it has the RADIUS wireless encryption.
RADIUS is an authentication method, not an encryption method. RADIUS is found mostly in enterprises that have a RADIUS server affiliated with an LDAP authentication server, i.e., this being a professional AAA system.