SmallNetBuilder Forums
Go Back   SmallNetBuilder Forums > Wireless Networking > Wireless Article Discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #21  
Old 12-18-2011, 12:06 PM
njweb njweb is offline
Very Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 295
Thanks: 85
Thanked 27 Times in 16 Posts
njweb is just starting out
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhombus View Post
CNET How we test: Access points and wireless routers
  • The biggest variable of all, router positioning, is not addressed or optimised - but then this goes for a lot of review sites. Half an inch can make all the difference, let alone which perpendicular alignment was chosen. Especially with a single distant test location this really could skew results.
  • The office environment can't be controlled (doors open/closed, obstructions, changing furniture, movement).
  • And numbers in a lot of their written reviews don't match the entries on the charts.

All information is useful information though! When are we gonna see your Amped vs E4200 results?
Thanks. I actually meant controlled relative to the test they posted for the V1 earlier in the year, to allow for accurate relative comparisons.
I posted a PS a few minutes ago about the CNet results.

I will run the tests today to compare my Amped R1000 against my Cisco E4200 with RE1000 range extender (and without).
Then I can decide which one to keep...

Last edited by njweb; 12-18-2011 at 12:09 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 12-18-2011, 12:25 PM
rhombus rhombus is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 128
Thanks: 2
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
rhombus is just starting out
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by njweb View Post
(Anandtech actually says the new unit's amplifier and antenna are supposed to have been optimized for better, on paper at least, wireless performance).
QUOTE: "There's [sic] also been some optimizations to the antenna and amplifier configuration that should improve range and reduce dead spots."
It's always amusing to see techno journos rehash a press release badly.
Here is said Anandtech article.

If you click on the source listed underneath, you will get to the Cisco press release, which is at least accurate.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12-18-2011, 12:29 PM
rhombus rhombus is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 128
Thanks: 2
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
rhombus is just starting out
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by njweb View Post
Thanks. I actually meant controlled relative to the test they posted for the V1 earlier in the year, to allow for accurate relative comparisons.
You're welcome. What is controlled and not controlled in their testing, applies to V1 vs V2, no?

Looking forward to the results! Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 12-18-2011, 02:18 PM
Shikami Shikami is offline
Very Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 277
Thanks: 3
Thanked 36 Times in 32 Posts
Shikami is just starting out
Default

The RT-N66U could perhaps be the Broadcom router that some are looking for due to the disappointment with v2.

http://vr-zone.com/articles/asus-rt-...on-/14242.html

Edit: this link does not work anymore. However this does: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=642825

Last edited by Shikami; 12-26-2011 at 06:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 12-22-2011, 10:41 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

The E4200v2 is now showing up in some of the router charts on this site! It's performance seems terrible when compared to the original E4200...
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 12-22-2011, 02:37 PM
rhombus rhombus is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 128
Thanks: 2
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
rhombus is just starting out
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
The E4200v2 is now showing up in some of the router charts on this site! It's performance seems terrible when compared to the original E4200...
Not true. The Smallnetbuilder 2-stream test client has changed since the v1 review. So the only truly comparable results are the 5Ghz 3-stream tests, where it looks about even.

I think there might have also been a change of laptop housing/antenna for the old 2-stream client somewhere along the line. Perhaps color coding or something to distinguish these in the charts would be useful.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 12-22-2011, 03:05 PM
thiggins's Avatar
thiggins thiggins is offline
Mr. Easy
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 9,182
Thanks: 165
Thanked 628 Times in 533 Posts
thiggins is just starting out
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhombus View Post
Not true. The Smallnetbuilder 2-stream test client has changed since the v1 review. So the only truly comparable results are the 5Ghz 3-stream tests, where it looks about even.
I reran some 2 stream tests with the new Intel 6200 client with a V1 E4200 and results are pretty close. This is noted in the review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhombus View Post
I think there might have also been a change of laptop housing/antenna for the old 2-stream client somewhere along the line. Perhaps color coding or something to distinguish these in the charts would be useful.
Two stream test client remains an Acer 1810T. Just the card was swapped. Charts are color-coded to connote different test procedures. Latest method shows green bars.
__________________
Tim Higgins
Managing Editor,SmallNetBuilder.com
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 12-22-2011, 04:19 PM
rhombus rhombus is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 128
Thanks: 2
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
rhombus is just starting out
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiggins View Post
I reran some 2 stream tests with the new Intel 6200 client with a V1 E4200 and results are pretty close.
Thanks Tim - brilliant stuff. Seems you spot-checked some locations in 2.4Ghz and 40Mhz mode for the v1 - do you have any numbers or plots to share? These would be really useful.

A direct re-test of the v1 with the Intel 6200 for 2.4Ghz 20Mhz Up and Down would be the ultimate comparison though - of great interest for those debating between v1 and v2 I think...! That's just a couple of plots... it is Christmas remember... !

Quote:
Two stream test client remains an Acer 1810T. Just the card was swapped.
The old Intel 5300 was moved from a Dell laptop to the current Acer though some while back, right? Apologies if I can't keep exact track - I have gone over the procedures as carefully as I can... What colors denote these 2 different card/laptop combinations?

Quote:
Charts are color-coded to connote different test procedures. Latest method shows green bars.
Thanks, I never even spotted that. Where is the key for the color coding? Sorry if I just can't find it.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 12-22-2011, 04:20 PM
RogerSC RogerSC is offline
Very Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,395
Thanks: 21
Thanked 199 Times in 176 Posts
RogerSC is just starting out
Default

Great review of the V2, thanks for that...I missed why you have blanks at a couple of the locations that you used to test in the wireless throughput tests. I'm assuming, because of the consistency, that you're no longer testing those locations (B and E), is that correct?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 12-23-2011, 12:35 PM
thiggins's Avatar
thiggins thiggins is offline
Mr. Easy
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 9,182
Thanks: 165
Thanked 628 Times in 533 Posts
thiggins is just starting out
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhombus View Post
Thanks Tim - brilliant stuff. Seems you spot-checked some locations in 2.4Ghz and 40Mhz mode for the v1 - do you have any numbers or plots to share? These would be really useful.
Links to plots of retest data have been added to the review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhombus View Post
The old Intel 5300 was moved from a Dell laptop to the current Acer though some while back, right? Apologies if I can't keep exact track - I have gone over the procedures as carefully as I can... What colors denote these 2 different card/laptop combinations?

Thanks, I never even spotted that. Where is the key for the color coding? Sorry if I just can't find it.
Go to Router Charts and select a wireless benchmark, like this. Click the Benchmark Info link right under the Router Charts image.
__________________
Tim Higgins
Managing Editor,SmallNetBuilder.com
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thiggins For This Useful Post:
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:29 AM.


Top 10 Stats
Top Posters* Top Thanked
RMerlin  363
john9527  150
azazel1024  129
stevech  114
htismaqe  104
sfx2000  78
L&LD  76
TonyH  68
AndreyPopov  55
ColinTaylor  52
RMerlin  6024
john9527  377
stevech  350
ryzhov_al  278
TeHashX  233
L&LD  232
RogerSC  199
sinshiva  147
sfx2000  133
joegreat  126
Most Viewed Threads* Hottest Threads*
Old Shellshock...  27625
Old Asuswrt-Merli...  14097
Old Simple NAS...  2502
Old Brainstorming...  2296
Old Looking for...  2074
Old RT-AC68P  2044
Old Advice on...  1891
Old RT-AC68U...  1469
Old Asus...  1444
Old Issues...  1363
Old Asuswrt-Merli...  113
Old Advice on...  48
Old Brainstorming...  47
Old Simple NAS...  36
Old Looking for...  35
Old Shellshock...  31
Old Issues...  25
Old Stable...  25
Old WiFi Rates  23
Old RT-AC68U...  22


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006-2014 Pudai LLC All Rights Reserved.