SmallNetBuilder Forums
Go Back   SmallNetBuilder Forums > NAS > NAS Article Discussions

Old 04-25-2012, 12:15 PM

ozum is just starting out

1. zalman (Win 7) (TimeCapsule VM is hosted on this machine)
2. aspire (Win 7) (Hackintosh VM is hosted on this machine)
3. Ozum's MacBook Pro (MacBook Pro 10.7.3)
4. Lion's Mac (VM Hackintosh 10.7.3)
5. MyTimeCapsule (VM TimeCapsule)

Quote:
Can you ping the VM or each other using only the machine name?
Windows machines can ping each other with names.
Apple machines can ping each other with names but only with '.local' appendix. (ping Ozums-Macbook-Pro.local).
Windows and Apple machines cannot ping each other with names.
Every machine can ping each other with IP addresses.
No machine can ping MyTimeCapsule with name.
Every machine can ping MyTimeCapsule with IP.

It looks like riddle I guess

Quote:
I assume all machines are sitting on the same local network at home or something?
They are on 192.168.1.XXX IP space and same workgroup called "WORKGROUP".

Quote:
The MyTimeCapsule icon appears in your Finder side bar right?
Yes, in Finder under "SHARED" there are aspire, MyTimeCapsule, ZALMAN

Quote:
Does the 'other' client machine appear on each client machine. (i.e. macbook on hackintosh and hackintosh on macbook)
They are not listed in Finder under SHARED.

Quote:
Have you checked in the log files for TM on either client machines? You should be able to use the Console to view them and filter on TM
I didn't see any related entry.

Strangely, while trying to generate new log entries, Time Machine on MacBook Pro connected successfully. Previously it didn't. Hackintosh still cannot.

Last edited by ozum; 04-25-2012 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Version correction
Old 06-27-2012, 02:11 PM
Unregistered

Default Problem restarting Avahi

I seem to have problems restarting Avahi as per instructions, it comes back saying:

"Starting Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD Daemon: avahi-daemon failed!"
Old 07-06-2012, 02:18 AM
Eric

Thumbs up Backed up my Mac in 3 hours.

Kevin -- dude -- if I was that type of dude, I would kiss you.

Brilliant solution. Much better then paying 800 bills for that other crap they have advertised.

Amazing.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:25 PM
bizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
How do I change the root password for this VM? I can login to root just fine, but when I try "/usr/bin/passwd" I get:

passwd: Module is unknown
passwd: password unchanged
In order to change your root password:

login as root (password tmroot)
root@mytimecapsule:~#pam-auth-update --force

uncheck "cracklib password strength checking"
click ok

root@mytimecapsule:~#passwd

now my question is:
is there any benefit/negative to setting up user accounts on the server that mirror the ones that will be using the time machine?

that is, do I create accounts for myself, my wife, and any of the kids' so we can all have read/write access to our individual time machines? or does leaving it as tmuser suffice?

also, when I just start the server the time machine does not show up in time machine's list of drives to select until I log in via Finder (connect to Time Machine as tmuser).

I'm also experiencing a technical problem. I can log in via rdp when I start the server through the gui. But when I start it with the service tip you provided I find that Windows Firewall blocks the ports even though I have it allowed on private networks. I tried public and that still didn't allow access. Is there some other setting or some other program that I should be allowing? It works fine when I disable the Private network firewall so I can at least narrow it down to that section.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:32 PM
cedriclocqueneux

Confused Connecting to server "MyTimeCapsule 'failed.

Hello,

I followed the tutorial to the letter, copying, pasting the command line, everything was fine, no error message, on Vmware instead of VirtualBox, because i have already Vmware for other VM.
But i can not connect to the VM from the Mac, I have this error message:

Connecting to server "MyTimeCapsule 'failed.
Please check the name or IP address of the server and try again. If the problem persists, contact your system administrator.

The only difference is that i configure Debian in french for the keyboard.

I have this error message from Time Machine, or trying to connect to the server with its IP address.
Yet I ping the VM from the Mac, and Mac from the VM without problem, and I disabled the firewall of windows (WHS 2011).

I do not understand why it does not work.

But if I took the hard drives of your appliance VirtualBox, and I create a VM with these drives in VMware, it works. It may be missing a point in the tutorial? But i dont' find the problem, i'm a little newbie on linux
Old 08-20-2012, 08:40 AM

mixxolydian is just starting out

As Eric stated, Kevin you are a hero!

I downloaded the appliance and time machine backup is going smoothly.

I did try to get this going by building it all myself because I wanted to be able to share my server's drives with all the content via AFP (so I can edit and save them remotely - a shortcoming of SMB). I needed to install guest additions which was no bother but I can't seem to get the same version of netatalk to install that you have on the appliance. When I query "dpkg -l |grep netatalk" on your virtual appliance it returns version 2.2~beta4-1 but I can only seem to get 2.2.2-1.

Also wanted to mention, on page 2 of part 2, there is "http:/" instead of "http://" where the code is for adding the wheezy repo to the sources list.

Sorry to be a pest but your article has gotten me from 0% to 99% where I want to be with my setup and now I can taste that last 1% any light you could shed on getting the correct version of netatalk to install will be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2012-08-20 at 13.32.51.png (12.3 KB, 5 views)
Old 09-03-2012, 04:18 AM
Pete

Thumbs up Brilliant Guide

First of all I want to thank your for the excellent guide you shared with us. I used your VM package which is running on my WHS and it works perfectly. In this thread we talked a lot about the setup process but what I'm interested in is the restoring process.

First of all, it is possible to create an native backup partition within my WHS configuration without using the second VM disk to store the backup? Because as the initial Backup is taking a long time I'm thinking about optimizing the restoring process. I would assume that the restoring process takes a long time as well. Therefore I was wondering if I anyhow can attach the Backup partition directly to my MBP by using USB. As the disk on my WHS is placed in an ultrabay it would be easy to plug it to my MBP. The USB restoring process should be faster than the network solution.

Do you see any chance of doing so? Or would you prefer the wired ethernet solution? I could also connect my WHS via 1gbit ethernet to my MBP, maybe that's the quickest solution for restoring?

@all: Someone had to recover already?
Thanks a lot!
Old 09-08-2012, 06:11 AM

Knokey is just starting out
Default Errors

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedriclocqueneux View Post
Hello,

I followed the tutorial to the letter, copying, pasting the command line, everything was fine, no error message, on Vmware instead of VirtualBox, because i have already Vmware for other VM.
But i can not connect to the VM from the Mac, I have this error message:

Connecting to server "MyTimeCapsule 'failed.
Please check the name or IP address of the server and try again. If the problem persists, contact your system administrator.

The only difference is that i configure Debian in french for the keyboard.

I have this error message from Time Machine, or trying to connect to the server with its IP address.
Yet I ping the VM from the Mac, and Mac from the VM without problem, and I disabled the firewall of windows (WHS 2011).

I do not understand why it does not work.

But if I took the hard drives of your appliance VirtualBox, and I create a VM with these drives in VMware, it works. It may be missing a point in the tutorial? But i dont' find the problem, i'm a little newbie on linux
I have the same problem. Does anyone know an answer?
I already tried to mount a bigger virtual disk in the original VM, but in this case I get a filesystem error: "Something wrong with the volume's CNID DB, using temporary CNID DB instead.Check server messages for details. Switching to read-only mode."
Old 10-09-2012, 05:20 PM

Compound is just starting out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knokey View Post
I have the same problem. Does anyone know an answer?
I already tried to mount a bigger virtual disk in the original VM, but in this case I get a filesystem error: "Something wrong with the volume's CNID DB, using temporary CNID DB instead.Check server messages for details. Switching to read-only mode."
Just proceed to the Mounting chapter in the section:
Be careful: You will delete the partition info of the drive:

Mount the data volume

We need to partition, format and mount the 100 GB data volume we created earlier. Commands that you must type have been italicized and bolded. System prompts have been removed to prevent line truncation.

fdisk /dev/sdb
Command (m for help): n
Command action
e extended
p primary partition (1-4)
p
Partition number (1-4): 1
First cylinder (1-13054, default 1):
Using default value 1
Last cylinder, +cylinders or +size{K,M,G} (1-13054, default 13054):
Using default value 13054

Command (m for help): w
The partition table has been altered!

Calling ioctl() to re-read partition table.
Syncing disks.
Now you need to format it.

mkfs.ext4 /dev/sdb1
Reset the permissions:

chmod 777 /mnt/MyTimeCapsuleData/

Restart your vm or the netatalk service.

N
Old 10-24-2012, 12:52 AM
Eric

Default Things are still running great

After a number of failed backups (WHS went to sleep), the drive got filled up. So I want to start over with a fresh sparsebundle to back up my system. How would I format the drive with my data to start anew?