SmallNetBuilder Forums
Go Back   SmallNetBuilder Forums > Wireless Networking > Wireless Buying Advice

Old 03-24-2011, 02:42 PM

RamGuy is just starting out
Default Cisco RV220W Wireless Network Security Firewall Reviewed

Great review!

I have ordered one myself but these wont show up in Norway for at least one month or so.. I'm really hoping this might be that one rock solid router that I can live with for a few years, after dropping the WNDR3700 because of it's firmware I was dwelling between the Linksys E4200 and the Cisco RV220W and landed on the later simply because I have more faith within Cisco than I have in Linksys when it comes to firmware's even though they are the same company.

Looking at the WRT610v2 / E3000 Linksys have proven that they are not what they used to be in regards of firmware and stability so I'll put my money on Cisco this time around and finally my entire home network we'll be Cisco based with Cisco Small Business SLM2008 Smart Switch and Cisco Small Business SD2008T Dumb Switch.

Looking at your review it seems like a blazing fast router, and with 128MB of RAM it should be capable of taking a hit without getting knocked out.

Did you test the DMZ functionality? There has been so darn many consumer routers with sloppy DMZ that does not work as intended that I have given it up completely and hopefully Cisco knows the meaning of DMZ and implement it successfully!

Also in regards of the Port Forwarding thing this struck me as a bit awkward as well but when I was looking at the Virtual Online GUI of the RV220W available from Cisco I notice that you have Port Forwarding under the IPv4 Firewall Rules option as well? This seems odd, why would Cisco have Port Forwarding rules locked in both places? And there is no way to actually get the Port Forwarding under the IPv4 Firewall Rules to get activated as it stays greyed out no matter what you do.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cisco RV220W Port Forwarding.jpg (38.4 KB, 35 views)
Old 03-24-2011, 04:03 PM

Mortis is just starting out

Thank You for this good rewview.

(In table 4 you mixed up the cells concerning wireless bands.)
Old 03-24-2011, 04:06 PM
Mr. Easy

thiggins is just starting out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Thank You for this good rewview.

(In table 4 you mixed up the cells concerning wireless bands.)
Good catch. Fixed.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:22 PM
jhouse55

Hello, were you using your 64bit Windows 7 with the Quick VPN software installed and were able to connect with VPN? I have 32bit Win 7 with Quick VPN and can connect with no issues but the minute I try with 64bit, I get an error all the time with it timing out after the "Negotiating Network".

This is actually connecting to the RV120w, but didn't see that the QuickVPN software version 1.4.1.2 was any different for the RV220

Thanks in advance,
jhouse55
Old 03-26-2011, 08:25 PM

dreid is just starting out
Default Port Forwarding

RamGuy:

I did a quick test with the DMZ on the 220W. It looks good. It's a two step process. I set up a PC on the LAN in the RV220W's DMZ, then set up a basic firewall rule to permit all traffic from the WAN to the DMZ. Once both were enabled, I sent an unsolicited traffic stream to the WAN interface of the RV220W. It worked, the stream went directly to the PC in the DMZ.

I mentioned in my review that port forwarding configuration seemed inconsistent as there isn't a port forwarding menu option under the firewall menu in the RV220W as there was in the RV120W.

I looked into the RV220W's port forwarding a bit more based on your question. You are correct, traditional port forwarding rules can be configured as a firewall rule. I tested and was able to successfully pass a traffic stream destined for the WAN port to an internal PC using a firewall rule.

The port forwarding menu I mentioned under the SSL VPN section is used to manage access to LAN services over the SSL VPN tunnel. Policies can be created to restrict SSL VPN access to various parts of the LAN. The SSL VPN port forwarding menu is then used to control SSL VPN access to applications like email and mapped network drives.

Thanks for reading the review.

Doug
Old 03-26-2011, 08:33 PM

Default Quick VPN

jhouse 55:

I used 64bit Windows 7 with Quick VPN software 1.4.1.2. I used the same client I used with the RV120W, as the Quick VPN software was still on my PC from when I reviewed the RV120W in January.

All I did to get it to work with the RV220W was change the user name, password, and server address to match the settings of the RV220W. I also used the Auto option for the "Port for QuickVPN."

Thanks for reading the review.

Doug
Old 03-28-2011, 02:19 AM

mwills is just starting out
Default Cisco RV220W overkill?

so, i found a Cisco RV220W for $180 and am wondering it this is 1) overkill and 2) will not suit my needs for some reason that I'm completely missing. Currently I use a Linksys 160n w/ DD-WRT an it is just not enough - mostly due to the lack of range but other stability issues remain.

let me explain my needs:
  • residential use
  • dense urban area with many networks
  • townhouse layout, router will be on 2nd level, *hopefully* serving wireless to 1st and 3rd floors (including back deck)
  • streaming audio through various airport express units
  • streaming video (720p) occasionally other laptops or desktops
  • file server and HTPC will be wired at the router
  • other clients: two or three Airport Express, two iPhones, two laptops, iPad
  • Need multiple networks: N-only, and mixed
  • Need the ability to 'wirelessly extend' the network if coverage is not sufficient on the back deck
  • future-proof for main needs over the next two years
  • this is dual-band, but not 'simultaneous'?

i've read all the reviews and here were the units i was considering:
  • Asus RT-N56U - not thrilled about the case, firmware support, longevity.
  • Linksys E4200: there always seems to be a 'problem' with these consumer units but on paper it foots the bill.
  • Cisco RV220W: in general, I pefer to use 'overbuilt' items. I don't mind paying extra for better suport, more stability, etc.
  • Two Linksys E3000: w/ DD-WRT to make up for the lack of range from the above units. Currently these can be had for $72. I currently have a 160n w/ DD-WRT so I'm familiar with the config and time that might be necessary to get stability.
  • Cheaper options - all overkill?

So, my question is, given my requirements and the fact the I'm pretty tired 'massaging' my home network, what would you recommend.

Last edited by mwills; 03-28-2011 at 09:50 AM.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:52 AM
Mr. Easy

thiggins is just starting out

The RV 220W won't address your desires. Its primary advantage is in its VPN abilities. As the review noted, its wireless performance isn't that great.

There is no product that is going to give you trouble-free HD streaming over multiple floors, especially in a dense urban area with many networks.

For trouble-free HD streaming try HomePlug AV powerline or MoCA. These can also be used to link multiple access points more reliably than with wireless repeating.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:00 PM

jacko is just starting out
Question few questions

1st of all, many thanks for the review, it's very useful.

may i ask few questions?

- the review mentioned its VLAN feature is similar to 120W, so it supports VLAN ID 1-4096?
- does the WAN port trunk the VLAN ID tag when traffics flowing through (in/outbound)? in other way of asking, will the WAN port remove the VLAN ID when traffics flowing through it?
- does rv220W allow telnet for router configuration like other Cisco high end routers?
- any thoughts on RV routers vs. SRP series routers?
- will SNB review Cisco SRP 500 Series routers? http://www.cisco.com/cisco/web/solut...ies/index.html

thanks in advance for any guidance here. appreciate that!
Old 03-29-2011, 12:21 AM

Thanks for your questions.

The RV220W supports up to 16 active VLANs using IDs from 1-4096.

The VLAN tag is dropped when traffic is routed from the LAN to the WAN, so yes, the VLAN ID is removed when traffic flows from the LAN to WAN.

The RV220W doesn't support telnet access and isn't an IOS based router.

I haven't had a chance to review an SRP series router, but based on Cisco's specs, the SRP and RV series have different targets. The RV series is primarily a gateway router with VPN support, whereas the SRP series is a gatway router as well as a VoIP device with an FXO port, 2-4 FXS ports, and 1-2 USB ports for 3G USB modems.