SmallNetBuilder Forums
Go Back   SmallNetBuilder Forums > LAN & WAN > Routers

Old 11-12-2009, 01:42 AM

yazyazoo is just starting out
Default How to control Internet Access with DD-WRT router?

I have a small business that has two employees. They process claims which has sensitive information. I currently have 5 computers connected to a DD-WRT router. One thru a LAN and the other 4 are wirelessly connected with WPA2 security.

I have told the employees no downloading pictures or checking email for fear of virus or spyware getting on the computer. One of the employees likes to download screensavers which get's me worried.

I want to be able to control the internet with the DD-WRT router.

I want to allow the upload of claims to a website for my employee but not allow internet access for her computer. Her computer is the LAN. My computer is wirelessly connected and I want to allow limited access on the other 3 wirelessly connected computer. I want Hulu to come in for clients to watch but not surf to whatever website.

Can I do this with DD-WRT router to give myself full internet, 3 with no internet but only Hulu, and the LAN computer with only access to send out claims?

Or does this need to be controlled by software I need to buy and install on each computer.

Anyone have a good read website that can give me more insight for this and DD-WRT?

T
Old 11-12-2009, 10:49 AM
Mr. Easy

thiggins is just starting out

Start at the DD-WRT Wiki, Access Restrictions.
Old 11-13-2009, 07:11 PM

ChatmanR is just starting out
Thumbs up

How about OpenDNS? It's a free Domain Name System service including advanced DNS security, reliability, and usability. One of the biggest improvements is the addition of a web-based dashboard for controlling filtering and checking usage and statistics. OpenDNS is a resolving and caching service with filtering features. It is not a replacement for local DNS resolution on your corporate network such as Active Directory or BIND. OpenDNS allows content filtering management for queries from different IP addresses. Preferences allow filtering to prevent access to social networking sites, chat and IM networks, adult sites, or any others desired. Denying e-mail traffic to particular domains is also available. Filtering for up to 50 categories of content are offered. One common DNS attack and hacking technique is cache poisioning, and OpenDNS was designed to prevent that threat. Anti Phishing prevention is provided via data from PhishTank, an industry repository of phishing data.

http://www.opendns.com/solutions/overview/
Old 11-15-2009, 01:32 AM
Very Senior Member

Dennis Wood is just starting out

The Draytek 2950G I've been working with has nearly complete control over all of this, including outstanding monitoring (Smartmonitor) that is the best I've ever seen at the price point. Smartmonitor is essentially a packet sniffing application that has very impressive reporting via a web based interface. Once your staff is aware of the application (as they legally should be), the problems will likely disappear. If that's not enought, the cascading filters setup on the router allows you to completely control what each workstation in your network has access to, regardless of LAN or WAN, or WIFI. It also has 3 levels of content filtering which make locking down web access very simple using check boxes on a myriad of protocols/hosts/etc.

The ability to control/filter access (and schedule these controls) is something you completely miss looking at the product briefs on their website, but it's at a level I've not seen from Dlink, Linksys or Netgear. With all of my posts on this dual WAN router you'd think I worked for Draytek ... I don't, but I'm very impressed with the Draytek 2950G router and some enterprise level features to be had for under $500.

Last edited by Dennis Wood; 11-15-2009 at 01:38 AM.