SmallNetBuilder Forums
Go Back   SmallNetBuilder Forums > NAS > General NAS Discussion

Old 07-29-2008, 03:21 PM

vnangia is just starting out
Default FreeNAS extensions

Michael's little experiment with setting up a SqueezeServer using FreeNAS + SlimNAS got me thinking: what other FreeNAS extensions are out there? Officially, there are only two listed extensions - SlimNAS enabling a SqueezeServer and CCXStream enabling Xbox streaming.

Some Googling found mt-daapd for my version of FreeNAS (I'm still running the 0.68 series, so no built-in DAAP server for me yet). zsole mentioned something about an anti-virus plugin and a Bittorrent client (neither of which I've been able to find, I must admit). Other than that... what else is out there?
Old 08-02-2008, 10:57 AM

zsole is just starting out

Hi,
The torrent and virus scanner are not real extensions, in the sense that it is user-friendly to add to FreeNAS. Based on the related forum topics, you need some playing-around time to get them working. The link for the torrent dicussion is https://sourceforge.net/forum/messag...msg_id=4806186, however, the 3595 build has a ctorrent client built-in, although I have not tried it yet. As far as virus checking, the forum (http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.p...orum_id=507589) is out-dated, I planned to update it, but have no time for it, and want to test it first to check how much system resources are eaten up, whether it is worth it.
Zsolt
Old 08-02-2008, 11:07 PM

vnangia is just starting out

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsole View Post
Hi,
The torrent and virus scanner are not real extensions, in the sense that it is user-friendly to add to FreeNAS. Based on the related forum topics, you need some playing-around time to get them working. The link for the torrent dicussion is https://sourceforge.net/forum/messag...msg_id=4806186, however, the 3595 build has a ctorrent client built-in, although I have not tried it yet. As far as virus checking, the forum (http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.p...orum_id=507589) is out-dated, I planned to update it, but have no time for it, and want to test it first to check how much system resources are eaten up, whether it is worth it.
Zsolt
Thanks for the pointers - FreeNAS + torrent didn't bring up that forum page. Please do report back when you find out about that anti-virus plugin. I can't say that there is an overwhelming need for it here with anti virus programs all around, but given that I have a significantly overpowered machine (a Core 2 class Celeron, a GB of RAM, and no iSCSI clients or targets), an anti-virus would be quite nice for my peace of mind when transferring from a non-personal machine.

---
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning." -Richard Cook
Old 08-07-2008, 03:38 PM

zsole is just starting out

I posted the fprot install script on the above FreeNAS topic. It is my understanding that the free version of fprot does not do real time scanning, therefore you need to schedule scans by adding a cron job, e.g. through FreeNAS GUI.