SmallNetBuilder Forums
Go Back   SmallNetBuilder Forums > Wireless Networking > ASUS Wireless > ASUS N Routers & Adapters

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-11-2013, 12:20 PM
No1Viking No1Viking is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No1Viking is just starting out
Default Best settings for Asus RT-N66U

Hi all!

I googled some and tested the speed, several times, to get the best settings for wireless. I use the latest Merlin firmware. Please see the attached picture about the settings.

Michael
Attached Images
File Type: png ASUS Wireless Router RT-N66U - Wireless General.png (35.1 KB, 430 views)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-11-2013, 12:34 PM
joegreat's Avatar
joegreat joegreat is offline
Very Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 404
Thanks: 515
Thanked 105 Times in 85 Posts
joegreat is just starting out
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by No1Viking View Post
I googled some and tested the speed, several times, to get the best settings for wireless. I use the latest Merlin firmware. Please see the attached picture about the settings.
Hi Michael,

Well, there is no 'one size fit's all' setting for wireless.

If the 'auto settings' do the job in your case, you can leave them as they are!

In case you have troubles with WLAN you should go for
- fixed channel (find out which one is not used with inSSIDer)
- only 20 MHz channel bandwidth
- b/g protection might lower the speed

Other settings on the 'Professional' tab might give even better results (or have not influence) in your case: Just try them out (but not down the original settings, to be able to revert back to them).

With kind regards
Joe
__________________
Asus RT-AC68U running Optware for Transmission & other tools + Asus RT-N66U in AP-Mode for WLAN extension = Firmware: Both on 374.41_0 (Merlin build)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-11-2013, 02:15 PM
No1Viking No1Viking is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No1Viking is just starting out
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joegreat View Post
Hi Michael,

Well, there is no 'one size fit's all' setting for wireless.

If the 'auto settings' do the job in your case, you can leave them as they are!

In case you have troubles with WLAN you should go for
- fixed channel (find out which one is not used with inSSIDer)
- only 20 MHz channel bandwidth
- b/g protection might lower the speed

Other settings on the 'Professional' tab might give even better results (or have not influence) in your case: Just try them out (but not down the original settings, to be able to revert back to them).

With kind regards
Joe
Well...

I did what you explained, with all the possible combinations as you described above. I also tested the settings out with a bandwith tester and got the best results with the above attached settings.

Further more I live in a apartment with lots of other competing WiFi networks.

Best regards

Michael
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-12-2013, 06:12 AM
mikeg mikeg is offline
Very Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Sweden
Posts: 326
Thanks: 12
Thanked 31 Times in 31 Posts
mikeg is just starting out
Default

Do you not use the 5 GHz band ?
Then you could separate the old equipment and your new and get better transfer rates on your new devices. It looks like you are from the Nordic countries....

Quote:
Originally Posted by No1Viking View Post
Well...

I did what you explained, with all the possible combinations as you described above. I also tested the settings out with a bandwith tester and got the best results with the above attached settings.

Further more I live in a apartment with lots of other competing WiFi networks.

Best regards

Michael
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-12-2013, 07:15 AM
No1Viking No1Viking is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No1Viking is just starting out
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg View Post
Do you not use the 5 GHz band ?
Then you could separate the old equipment and your new and get better transfer rates on your new devices. It looks like you are from the Nordic countries....
Correct, I'm in Sweden.
At the moment I only have 1 router that runs both 2,4 and 5 GHz, with the same settings.

Michael
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-12-2013, 12:23 PM
mikeg mikeg is offline
Very Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Sweden
Posts: 326
Thanks: 12
Thanked 31 Times in 31 Posts
mikeg is just starting out
Default

I have the same situation with a lot of other 2.4 GHz bands around my apartment and I have set a fixed channel and control channel on both bands-
Use the inSSIDr to see what channels are best suited for you. Lycka till !
Quote:
Originally Posted by No1Viking View Post
Correct, I'm in Sweden.
At the moment I only have 1 router that runs both 2,4 and 5 GHz, with the same settings.

Michael
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-18-2013, 04:11 PM
philiptd's Avatar
philiptd philiptd is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: NYC
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
philiptd is just starting out
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joegreat View Post
...Other settings on the 'Professional' tab might give even better results ...
What did you have in mind?
__________________
Asus RT-AC66U Merlin 3.0.0.4.354.28
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:55 PM.

Top 10 Stats
Top Posters* Top Thanked
RMerlin  402
stevech  155
thelonelycode...  152
L&LD  126
azazel1024  119
KGB7  86
jim769  76
DrTeeth  69
Adamm  66
speedingcheet...  64
RMerlin  4486
stevech  275
ryzhov_al  199
TeHashX  194
RogerSC  166
L&LD  163
joegreat  105
jlake  102
PrivateJoker  93
sinshiva  88
Most Viewed Threads* Hottest Threads*
Old Asuswrt-Merli...  31556
Old Asuswrt-Merli...  22581
Old ASUS...  22431
Old Beta Version...  17493
Old 'Heartbleed'...  14230
Old Linksys...  9280
Old Potential...  7915
Old Asus-Merlin...  7058
Old Groundhog...  6409
Old Linksys...  5504
Old Asuswrt-Merli...  218
Old Asuswrt-Merli...  175
Old Linksys...  142
Old ASUS...  125
Old Beta Version...  112
Old Potential...  98
Old Linksys...  78
Old Groundhog...  49
Old Asus router...  43
Old USB drive...  39



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006-2014 Pudai LLC All Rights Reserved.