SmallNetBuilder Forums
Go Back   SmallNetBuilder Forums > Wireless Networking > ASUS Wireless > ASUS N Routers & Adapters

Old 01-31-2013, 10:54 AM

asusrocks is just starting out
Default DNS Server

I would like to manually assign my DNS server through my Asus N66u Router. I am pretty new to this so I have been doing some reading. So I go into the N66u Router interface and for example if I want to use the google dns servers 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 and under WAN I input these 2 dns servers after changing to Manual set up. I click apply and then when I check in a cmd prompt ipconfig/all my dns server is still showing my ISP dns Servers. What am I doing wrong and what do I need to do to get these dns servers to stick on my entire network? Also is there a suggestion or tool you guys are using to see what are the best dns servers to use for my location? Thanks !!
Old 01-31-2013, 03:23 PM

If this is not possible, how is everyone else forcing their home network to use for example the google dns servers versus the ISP defaults?
Old 01-31-2013, 03:31 PM
Very Senior Member

Thanked 6,033 Times in 2,457 Posts
RMerlin is just starting out

Quote:
Originally Posted by asusrocks View Post
I would like to manually assign my DNS server through my Asus N66u Router. I am pretty new to this so I have been doing some reading. So I go into the N66u Router interface and for example if I want to use the google dns servers 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 and under WAN I input these 2 dns servers after changing to Manual set up. I click apply and then when I check in a cmd prompt ipconfig/all my dns server is still showing my ISP dns Servers. What am I doing wrong and what do I need to do to get these dns servers to stick on my entire network? Also is there a suggestion or tool you guys are using to see what are the best dns servers to use for my location? Thanks !!
You have to renew your lease for your computer to start using the new DNS.

Make sure you didn't manually configure your DNS servers on that computer, because normally your computer should be using your router's IP - which will in turn take care of doing the name lookups throug the DNS servers configured on the WAN page. If your computer shows the ISP DNS then I suspect you had them manually entered on the computer.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:17 PM

Hi Merlin,

So are you saying if I go into the n66u WAn settings and put manually input DNS servers 1 and 2 and put them in and click apply then all my clients on the network (unless a client on the network was manually entered at some time) will all use those DNS servers? Is that correct? Thanks

Dana

Last edited by asusrocks; 01-31-2013 at 04:49 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:26 PM
Very Senior Member

Thanked 6,033 Times in 2,457 Posts
RMerlin is just starting out

Quote:
Originally Posted by asusrocks View Post
Hi Merlin,

So are you saying if I go into the n66u WAn settings and put manually input DNS servers 1 and 2 and put them in and click apply then all my clients on the network (unless a client on the network was manually entered at some time) will all use those DNS servers? Is that correct? Thanks

Dana
Yes and no. Technically, your clients will use your router as a DNS server. The router will then take care of sending the requests to your manual servers, and forward the reply back to your clients. But yes, the end result is, your client will get the resolution results from the two DNS you entered.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:49 PM

Thank you very much Merlin. THis whole thing started because I have apple tv and streaming netflix on apple tv is a poor quality picture even on HD content on netflix. After doing reading and testing it boils down to the ISP dns servers. I manually updated my apple tv with the google dns servers and bam, HD quality picture. I guess this is one of the most common issues with apple tv and netflix. Now that I read more, I want to set up my router so everything is using the specified dns servers. Again thanks!!
Old 02-03-2013, 06:30 AM

Mazda323 is just starting out

I'd like set Google DNS on my RT-N66U (running Shibby v105 AIO). But I don't know where the DNS 1 and DNS 2 are. Can anybody give me a hand?