SmallNetBuilder Forums
Go Back   SmallNetBuilder Forums > Wireless Networking > ASUS Wireless > ASUS N Routers & Adapters

Old 01-31-2013, 10:58 AM

BlueGoldAce is just starting out

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerSC View Post
For 2.4GHz., I would be sure to pick 20MHz. channel width, and pick a channel that has least use in your area, don't go with "auto". Something like inSSIDer running on a laptop using wireless is good for that. I also assume that you're using WPA2/AES, but I'm having to assume a lot here since I don't know what your settings are. You seem to be implying that you didn't change your settings from factory defaults, and I've found that factory defaults are really lowest common denominator and may not work for your location or your hardware. Don't hide your SSID's either, that can be troublesome, although that isn't default, some people think that gives them more security. You get your security from WPA2/AES, not from hiding your SSID's, or MAC filtering, etc..

The above is just a smattering of what might help you, but without knowing more about what your actual settings are, helping is difficult.
I'm able to get it working on the new firmware with a restore of saved setting. The 5ghz range is weak right now, and I am thinking that may be fixable by a factory reset.... But the connection issue prevents that.

Soon, when I get time, I'll do a reset. I'll compare my current settings to the factory defaults. I'll also take your advice in consideration.

I'll post if that fixes the problem, or if it still remains. If I have to I'll post my settings on here.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:02 PM
Very Senior Member

RogerSC is just starting out

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueGoldAce View Post
I'm able to get it working on the new firmware with a restore of saved setting. The 5ghz range is weak right now, and I am thinking that may be fixable by a factory reset.... But the connection issue prevents that.

Soon, when I get time, I'll do a reset. I'll compare my current settings to the factory defaults. I'll also take your advice in consideration.

I'll post if that fixes the problem, or if it still remains. If I have to I'll post my settings on here.
The 5GHz. band doesn't have the range that the 2.4GHz. band does, higher frequencies are attenuated more by walls and objects in the signal path. So you should expect it not to be as strong further from the router compared to the 2.4GHz. signal. However, close to the router, within a few feet, the strengths of the signals should be comparable between 2.4GHz. and 5GHz.

Just in case you weren't aware of that. If you were, never mind *smile*.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:15 PM

BlueGoldAce is just starting out
Default iphone and ipad connection issue.

I'm aware, but good point. The router, due to constraints, is near the floor behind in a wood tv stand. The signal degrades about 20-30 feet away, with 1-2 walls in between. Normal I assume?

I have tried moving the router out into the open, and haven't seen an effect on the signal strength.

The idea place for the router I can't use, since the router causes my subwoofer to go nuts.

I really do appreciate the help. I'm darn curious to what is causing the problem that is not present in the saved settings.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:07 PM
Very Senior Member

RogerSC is just starting out

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueGoldAce View Post
I'm aware, but good point. The router, due to constraints, is near the floor behind in a wood tv stand. The signal degrades about 20-30 feet away, with 1-2 walls in between. Normal I assume?

I have tried moving the router out into the open, and haven't seen an effect on the signal strength.

The idea place for the router I can't use, since the router causes my subwoofer to go nuts.

I really do appreciate the help. I'm darn curious to what is causing the problem that is not present in the saved settings.
Yes, this sounds like normal attenuation on 5GHz. for what you're describing. When I first got a dual-band router, I had planned to use 5GHz. wireless more than I have, for media streaming. However, I found that the normal attenuation of the 5GHz. signal made it unusable, while the 2.4GHz. wireless signal is fine where I need it. I could have used an AP to boost my 5GHz. signal where I need it, but decided to use MoCA instead, which works very well for my media streaming needs.

Good question about the saved settings. I guess I'd go through the screens and see what the displayed settings are and if there's anything there that you didn't set manually, but you've probably done that already yourself.

Anyways, glad that things are working again for you. It's a real pain to troubleshoot these things and find that one or two settings that's screwing things up, as you've found.