SmallNetBuilder Forums
Go Back   SmallNetBuilder Forums > NAS > Thecus

Old 11-07-2012, 01:45 PM

vnangia is just starting out
Default Can A Thecus NAS Replace Your HTPC?

Perhaps I'm in a minority here, but I feel like Thecus has got this the wrong way around. There are no shortages of okay/good/excellent devices that you can put under the TV, but there is a critical shortage of hardware that can handle CC-encrypted broadcasts. In fact, the only way to receive this is basically to have a full WMC-enabled HTPC under the TV - with either a tuner built in or talking to a HDHR Prime-type device. I would welcome with open arms, any NAS provider that either offered compatibility with the HDHR or other similar (perhaps USB-connected?) tuner to do the heaving lifting of encoding/streaming to a locally connected client, even perhaps the built-in DLNA client on most TVs.

---
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning." -Richard Cook
Old 11-07-2012, 10:59 PM

s4one is just starting out

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnangia View Post
Perhaps I'm in a minority here, but I feel like Thecus has got this the wrong way around. There are no shortages of okay/good/excellent devices that you can put under the TV, but there is a critical shortage of hardware that can handle CC-encrypted broadcasts. In fact, the only way to receive this is basically to have a full WMC-enabled HTPC under the TV - with either a tuner built in or talking to a HDHR Prime-type device. I would welcome with open arms, any NAS provider that either offered compatibility with the HDHR or other similar (perhaps USB-connected?) tuner to do the heaving lifting of encoding/streaming to a locally connected client, even perhaps the built-in DLNA client on most TVs.
Hi vnangia,

Thanks for your comment, the TV tuner is made available for user convenience. As many NAS devices these days are fulfilling multi media purposes, a TV tuner will ad to more features and capabilities. Most-to-all TV tuners only broadcasts local channels and maybe a few more depending on your region.

The essence and convenience of sticking a TV tuner to view local channels and being able to record directly onto your Thecus NAS is significant. For example, with the 2012 presidential election that just went by, people are able to record directly.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:23 PM

benogil is just starting out

What an excellent article. Not to knock Thecus, this NAS shows a great concept. But, as Tim's article shows it violates the WAF ( XBMC had problems ) and it violated the CSF ( Child Safety Factor ), it must not lure little ones to fool with it. It appears obvious the designers had no small children.