SmallNetBuilder Forums
Go Back   SmallNetBuilder Forums > Wireless Networking > ASUS Wireless > Asuswrt-Merlin

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-27-2012, 08:59 PM
neil0311 neil0311 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 47
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 1 Post
neil0311 is just starting out
Default Updated to Merlin build...is this correct?

Updated my RT-N66U from the stock Asus .220 build to Merlin build 3.0.0.4.246.20. Everything seems good, but noticed that not all of the 256MB of RAM is being reported.

Is this correct or do I possibly have a hardware issue with bad RAM?

Memory
Total 234.25 MB
Free 195.62 MB
Buffers 5.22 MB
Swap usage 0.00 / 0.00 MB
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-27-2012, 09:04 PM
Pierino Pierino is offline
Very Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 265
Thanks: 48
Thanked 35 Times in 25 Posts
Pierino is just starting out
Default

Yup, it's normal.
__________________
Rt-ac68u on Asuswrt-Merlin fw
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-27-2012, 10:11 PM
DaveMishSr DaveMishSr is offline
Very Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 245
Thanks: 66
Thanked 39 Times in 25 Posts
DaveMishSr is just starting out
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Updated my RT-N66U from the stock Asus .220 build to Merlin build 3.0.0.4.246.20. Everything seems good, but noticed that not all of the 256MB of RAM is being reported.

Is this correct or do I possibly have a hardware issue with bad RAM?

Memory
Total 234.25 MB
Free 195.62 MB
Buffers 5.22 MB
Swap usage 0.00 / 0.00 MB
Here's what my RT-N66U running 246.20 reports:

Memory
Total 234.25 MB
Free 65.07 MB
Buffers 12.28 MB
Swap usage 0.00 / 0.00 MB

I have "enable DoS protection" enabled in the "administration/firewall" settings and I am assuming that is why my unit is using so much RAM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-28-2012, 12:48 AM
RMerlin's Avatar
RMerlin RMerlin is offline
Very Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 8,549
Thanks: 44
Thanked 4,462 Times in 1,890 Posts
RMerlin is just starting out
Default

The Linux kernel needs to use some of that RAM for the OS.

Dec 31 19:00:13 kernel: Memory: 238608k/131068k available (2520k kernel code, 22568k reserved, 512k data, 196k init, 131072k highmem
__________________
Asuswrt-Merlin: Customized firmware for Asus routers
Github: github.com/RMerl - Twitter: RMerlinDev
See the sticky post for more info.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-28-2012, 12:49 AM
RMerlin's Avatar
RMerlin RMerlin is offline
Very Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 8,549
Thanks: 44
Thanked 4,462 Times in 1,890 Posts
RMerlin is just starting out
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMishSr View Post
Here's what my RT-N66U running 246.20 reports:

Memory
Total 234.25 MB
Free 65.07 MB
Buffers 12.28 MB
Swap usage 0.00 / 0.00 MB

I have "enable DoS protection" enabled in the "administration/firewall" settings and I am assuming that is why my unit is using so much RAM.
DoS protection basically adds a few iptable rules that will throttle connections - it should have negligeable impact on RAM. Most likely your RAM usage is either DownloadMaster or AiCloud (one of the AiCloud services is a major memory guzzler if you leave it running for a few days).
__________________
Asuswrt-Merlin: Customized firmware for Asus routers
Github: github.com/RMerl - Twitter: RMerlinDev
See the sticky post for more info.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-28-2012, 08:36 AM
neil0311 neil0311 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 47
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 1 Post
neil0311 is just starting out
Default

Thanks everyone. I assumed it was probably reserved to the OS or another function, but you know what they say about assuming.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-28-2012, 10:47 AM
DaveMishSr DaveMishSr is offline
Very Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 245
Thanks: 66
Thanked 39 Times in 25 Posts
DaveMishSr is just starting out
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMerlin View Post
DoS protection basically adds a few iptable rules that will throttle connections - it should have negligeable impact on RAM. Most likely your RAM usage is either DownloadMaster or AiCloud (one of the AiCloud services is a major memory guzzler if you leave it running for a few days).
I have both AiCloud and DownloadMaster running. Should I worry about that?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-28-2012, 01:38 PM
RMerlin's Avatar
RMerlin RMerlin is offline
Very Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 8,549
Thanks: 44
Thanked 4,462 Times in 1,890 Posts
RMerlin is just starting out
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMishSr View Post
I have both AiCloud and DownloadMaster running. Should I worry about that?
Should be fine, except for AiCloud which I suspect might be increasing in memory usage over time. Keep an eye on your free memory. If it becomes a problem, you could configure a cron job to reboot your router automatically once a week in the middle of the night, or disable AiCloud if you don't use it.
__________________
Asuswrt-Merlin: Customized firmware for Asus routers
Github: github.com/RMerl - Twitter: RMerlinDev
See the sticky post for more info.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:05 AM.

Top 10 Stats
Top Posters* Top Thanked
RMerlin  377
thelonelycode...  167
stevech  148
L&LD  128
azazel1024  112
KGB7  83
Adamm  71
jim769  71
speedingcheet...  59
jlake  50
RMerlin  4462
stevech  271
ryzhov_al  199
TeHashX  194
RogerSC  165
L&LD  163
joegreat  105
jlake  101
PrivateJoker  93
sinshiva  87
Most Viewed Threads* Hottest Threads*
Old Asuswrt-Merli...  30265
Old ASUS...  20039
Old Beta Version...  17317
Old 'Heartbleed'...  13640
Old Asuswrt-Merli...  10701
Old Linksys...  8007
Old Potential...  7725
Old Asus-Merlin...  6678
Old Groundhog...  6244
Old Linksys...  4703
Old Asuswrt-Merli...  216
Old Linksys...  141
Old ASUS...  114
Old Beta Version...  112
Old Asuswrt-Merli...  102
Old Potential...  98
Old Linksys...  62
Old Groundhog...  49
Old Asus router...  43
Old Managing...  38



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006-2014 Pudai LLC All Rights Reserved.