SmallNetBuilder Forums
Go Back   SmallNetBuilder Forums > Wireless Networking > ASUS Wireless

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-06-2013, 06:11 PM
jbombs16 jbombs16 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 32
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
jbombs16 is just starting out
Default Entware + webserver help

I am trying to setup a webserver with entware. I need the server to setup a usenet indexer (newznab).

I believe that cherokee is not available through entware so I cannot follow this guide (http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=8323).

I would install optware + cherokee but I cannot find a guide to install optware.

Cherokee would be nice because I need PHP and database (MySQL) support.

I have installed apahce but have no idea how to configure it. Plus I dont know how to get PHP and MySQL installed. Can anyone help me out?

There is a newznab install guide (http://newznab.readthedocs.org/en/latest/install/) but it is for ubuntu.

thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-06-2013, 07:43 PM
RMerlin's Avatar
RMerlin RMerlin is offline
Very Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 11,182
Thanks: 58
Thanked 6,274 Times in 2,557 Posts
RMerlin is just starting out
Default

I would recommend looking at nginx. It's fairly simple to setup, and worked within a few minutes for me, while I never could get lighttpd to answer any query. Nginx is also more lightweight than Apache.
__________________
Asuswrt-Merlin: Customized firmware for Asus routers
Github: github.com/RMerl - Twitter: RMerlinDev
See the sticky post for more info.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-07-2013, 03:24 AM
ryzhov_al's Avatar
ryzhov_al ryzhov_al is offline
Very Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Smolensk, Russia
Posts: 417
Thanks: 48
Thanked 289 Times in 146 Posts
ryzhov_al is just starting out
Default

Hi, jbombs16!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbombs16 View Post
Cherokee would be nice because I need PHP and database (MySQL) support.

I have installed apahce but have no idea how to configure it. Plus I dont know how to get PHP and MySQL installed. Can anyone help me out?
First of all, lighttpd and PHP (include MYSQL) works fine on Entware. A common mistake for new Entware users is they "think" Optware way with it's huge packages. The Entware is OpenWRT based, so all packages is size optimized. Take a look at lighttpd at Optware, there is only one package with all it's modules:
Quote:
# grep "^Package: lighttpd" ./Packages_optware | wc -l
1
But OpenWRT (and Entware) includes 29 lighttpd packages!
Quote:
# grep "^Package: lighttpd" ./Packages_entware | wc -l
29
Every lighttpd module is in separate package. The same thing with PHP and some other software. Here is my example how to use lighttpd with php-cgi and php-scgi.

When you install any software from Entware, please refer to OpenWRT docs first. It's available far more widely then Optware ones.
__________________
The Entware. A modern Optware replacement.

Last edited by ryzhov_al; 01-07-2013 at 04:02 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-07-2013, 03:31 AM
ryzhov_al's Avatar
ryzhov_al ryzhov_al is offline
Very Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Smolensk, Russia
Posts: 417
Thanks: 48
Thanked 289 Times in 146 Posts
ryzhov_al is just starting out
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMerlin View Post
I would recommend looking at nginx. It's fairly simple to setup, and worked within a few minutes for me, while I never could get lighttpd to answer any query. Nginx is also more lightweight than Apache.
Support with both hands!

IMHO, apache, mysql, squid is too heavy for embedded devices so we can't reach acceptable performance with it. We may use light weight alternatives like lighttpd, sqlite, tinyproxy whenever it's possible.
__________________
The Entware. A modern Optware replacement.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-07-2013, 07:52 PM
TeHashX's Avatar
TeHashX TeHashX is offline
Very Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Europe
Posts: 674
Thanks: 150
Thanked 252 Times in 150 Posts
TeHashX is just starting out
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbombs16 View Post
I am trying to setup a webserver with entware. I need the server to setup a usenet indexer (newznab).

I believe that cherokee is not available through entware so I cannot follow this guide (http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=8323).

I would install optware + cherokee but I cannot find a guide to install optware.

Cherokee would be nice because I need PHP and database (MySQL) support.

I have installed apahce but have no idea how to configure it. Plus I dont know how to get PHP and MySQL installed. Can anyone help me out?

There is a newznab install guide (http://newznab.readthedocs.org/en/latest/install/) but it is for ubuntu.

thanks
Try this tutorial to install lighttpd with php enabled
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-11-2013, 06:28 PM
MercuryV MercuryV is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 52
Thanks: 8
Thanked 20 Times in 19 Posts
MercuryV is just starting out
Default

Yet another Entware PHP demonstration - now it's Nginx
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-14-2013, 11:53 PM
RMerlin's Avatar
RMerlin RMerlin is offline
Very Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 11,182
Thanks: 58
Thanked 6,274 Times in 2,557 Posts
RMerlin is just starting out
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryzhov_al View Post
Support with both hands!

IMHO, apache, mysql, squid is too heavy for embedded devices so we can't reach acceptable performance with it. We may use light weight alternatives like lighttpd, sqlite, tinyproxy whenever it's possible.
BTW, b-rad is switching to Nginx for the next version of WDLXTV. The webend I developped for WDLXTV loads way, way faster with Nginx than it did with Apache
__________________
Asuswrt-Merlin: Customized firmware for Asus routers
Github: github.com/RMerl - Twitter: RMerlinDev
See the sticky post for more info.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:21 PM.


Top 10 Stats
Top Posters* Top Thanked
RMerlin  434
azazel1024  125
john9527  97
L&LD  94
htismaqe  81
ColinTaylor  70
stevech  65
hggomes  64
sfx2000  58
Anzaia  50
RMerlin  6273
john9527  447
stevech  352
ryzhov_al  289
TeHashX  252
L&LD  242
RogerSC  202
sinshiva  146
sfx2000  136
joegreat  127
Most Viewed Threads* Hottest Threads*
Old Asuswrt-Merli...  46756
Old RT-AC68 -...  22146
Old RT-AC68P...  7003
Old Moderate Nat...  4659
Old ASUS RT-N66U...  4218
Old iOS 8.1...  3945
Old RT-AC87U -...  2429
Old WiFi...  2420
Old RT-AC68P QOS...  1955
Old AC68U,...  1738
Old Asuswrt-Merli...  214
Old RT-AC68 -...  137
Old Review: 24...  35
Old iOS 8.1...  33
Old RT-AC68P...  33
Old Moderate Nat...  29
Old WiFi...  27
Old RT-AC87U -...  26
Old RT-AC68P QOS...  24
Old How to flash...  24


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006-2014 Pudai LLC All Rights Reserved.