SmallNetBuilder Forums
Go Back   SmallNetBuilder Forums > Wireless Networking > ASUS Wireless > ASUS N Routers & Adapters

Old 01-04-2013, 02:21 PM

deniaron is just starting out

Quote:
Originally Posted by got_milk View Post
Is this over a wired connection or wireless?

Do you have QoS enabled? If so, are the values for bandwidth correct?
No, QoS is disabled. That was the first thing I thought it might have been. However, I have never even enabled QoS, so any "lingering settings" should not be there. (Since it was never activated..)

For the sake of testing I'm using wired connections. The setup I'm testing with is:

Cable Modem --> N66U --> Switch* --> Desktop system (i7, 16Gb ram, etc.)
*(Cisco 8-port gigabit switch, always worked in previous setup)

Also, since my last post I've tried downloading on the desktop system with torrents being disabled. It should not matter afaik and luckily for me: it didnt. Even with transmission disabled a direct FTP download caps at 3 MB/s.

Last edited by deniaron; 01-04-2013 at 02:24 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:06 PM
Very Senior Member

Thanked 6,406 Times in 2,637 Posts
RMerlin is just starting out

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniaron View Post
No, QoS is disabled. That was the first thing I thought it might have been. However, I have never even enabled QoS, so any "lingering settings" should not be there. (Since it was never activated..)

For the sake of testing I'm using wired connections. The setup I'm testing with is:

Cable Modem --> N66U --> Switch* --> Desktop system (i7, 16Gb ram, etc.)
*(Cisco 8-port gigabit switch, always worked in previous setup)

Also, since my last post I've tried downloading on the desktop system with torrents being disabled. It should not matter afaik and luckily for me: it didnt. Even with transmission disabled a direct FTP download caps at 3 MB/s.
Try bypassing the switch to rule out any issue specific to it.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:29 AM

deniaron is just starting out
Smile Update

I know it's been a long long time since my last post, but just to create a proper ending for this thread:

I've eliminated the router all together, and performance improved marginally little. (It went from 59.6 Kbit/sec to 59.9 Kbit/sec.) So the router is not draining performance, I was just too focussed on having everything running on the router which probably would have maxed the router out.

However... (there is always a but)
Both the poor performance on torrent department and slow USB connection made me decide to go back to my home server. The initial idea of cost reduction on the electric bill has proven to be very little: e.g. in comparison to my low-energy server home server I was saving about 5 dollars / month in energy. For me personally, that was not worth the sacrifice in speed on my network.

After reinstalling my home server I've regained 7.3 MB/sec downloads on the server and having a proper 75 MB/s samba connection instead of the 7-8 MB/sec which the RT-N66U gave me.

The RT-N66U is now switched to AP mode and is working brilliantly. The switch was effortless. (It still is an amazing device and I've switched back to it during server maintenance with ease..)

So thank you all for helping out and all the best to you!
Old 04-24-2013, 12:22 PM

Jcconnell is just starting out

I found this thread while searching for an answer to my speed issues. I'm only getting about 300 -400 kbps down on the Transmission client installed on the router. Its downloading to the internal MicroSD.

I'm trying to determine if these speeds should be expected for the MicroSD and if so, would it speed up if I attached an external HDD. Else, what could my issue be?
Old 04-30-2013, 11:08 AM

CoolDuckie is just starting out

Quote:
You are absolutely correct. However, my question originally was: Is this to be expected? These routers sure came a long way and looking at the consumption vs the "power" of the N66U. (It truly is quite a beast.)

But still, could I expect more given these numbers?

Or should I just accept the way they are. (It's not like I'm really struggling or it's annoying, but still I have the feeling more could be gained.)
You should expect more. I have a fiber-optical connection to the Internet. My N66U connects to this via a 100 megabit Ethernet connection. I get an effective bittorrent download speed of about 6.5 MB/sec over 5 ghz wireless AND over Ethernet if I use my Synology NAS bittorrent client.

CD
Old 05-15-2013, 10:35 AM

guz26 is just starting out

Hi,

im thinking about to buy this router just for torrents, i have a 10mb internet connection, i can download files using a 1mb/s

i was considering in build a home server, but in Brazil the problem is the price of energy

sometimes i download files with 80gb, i will have some problems?

what is the maximum size of the HDD pluged in this router?

Quote:
I know it's been a long long time since my last post, but just to create a proper ending for this thread:

I've eliminated the router all together, and performance improved marginally little. (It went from 59.6 Kbit/sec to 59.9 Kbit/sec.) So the router is not draining performance, I was just too focussed on having everything running on the router which probably would have maxed the router out.

However... (there is always a but)
Both the poor performance on torrent department and slow USB connection made me decide to go back to my home server. The initial idea of cost reduction on the electric bill has proven to be very little: e.g. in comparison to my low-energy server home server I was saving about 5 dollars / month in energy. For me personally, that was not worth the sacrifice in speed on my network.

After reinstalling my home server I've regained 7.3 MB/sec downloads on the server and having a proper 75 MB/s samba connection instead of the 7-8 MB/sec which the RT-N66U gave me.

The RT-N66U is now switched to AP mode and is working brilliantly. The switch was effortless. (It still is an amazing device and I've switched back to it during server maintenance with ease..)

So thank you all for helping out and all the best to you!