SmallNetBuilder Forums
Go Back   SmallNetBuilder Forums > Wireless Networking > ASUS Wireless > ASUS AC Routers & Adapters

Old 12-21-2012, 10:27 AM

Nucleartiger is just starting out
Default RT-AC66U will not see WAN connection

I am replacing a draft N Linksys router that is starting to require resets to have wireless and wired connection.

I followed all the instructions in the manual for the new router and will not see the WAN connection to my modem. I talked to ASUS support and walked through the router setup through the browser. No matter what we tried with resetting the router or the modem it just will not connect to the modem. I reconnected my old router and within 2 minutes the old router was up and providing internet connection.

The modem is a Scientific Atlanta Webstar from Time Warner cable and Earthlink. When the modem and router are restarted the WAN light comes on solid (after the light test) and then it goes off, at the same time the modem data lights blink like it has connection then everything goes off. So at this point I am thinking that it is a compatability issue between the router and the modem.

Any suggestions or ideas to try? I have had to deal with TWC to get a new modem before so I am sure its going to be like pulling teeth to get a different model/brand of modem. OR should I just take the ASUS back and get the Netgear R6300?
Old 12-21-2012, 11:25 AM
Very Senior Member

mikeg is just starting out

What cables are you using . minimum cat5e between the modem and router and your pc and the router.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucleartiger View Post
I am replacing a draft N Linksys router that is starting to require resets to have wireless and wired connection.

I followed all the instructions in the manual for the new router and will not see the WAN connection to my modem. I talked to ASUS support and walked through the router setup through the browser. No matter what we tried with resetting the router or the modem it just will not connect to the modem. I reconnected my old router and within 2 minutes the old router was up and providing internet connection.

The modem is a Scientific Atlanta Webstar from Time Warner cable and Earthlink. When the modem and router are restarted the WAN light comes on solid (after the light test) and then it goes off, at the same time the modem data lights blink like it has connection then everything goes off. So at this point I am thinking that it is a compatability issue between the router and the modem.

Any suggestions or ideas to try? I have had to deal with TWC to get a new modem before so I am sure its going to be like pulling teeth to get a different model/brand of modem. OR should I just take the ASUS back and get the Netgear R6300?
Old 12-21-2012, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg View Post
What cables are you using . minimum cat5e between the modem and router and your pc and the router.
I am using the included cat5e between modem and router and a cat 6 between router and computer. I tried multiple cables between each location including the previous cables in their original positions just with the new router.

Last edited by Nucleartiger; 12-21-2012 at 12:20 PM.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:36 PM
Very Senior Member

Thanked 5,608 Times in 2,304 Posts
RMerlin is just starting out

Try powering off your modem and leaving it off for 10 mins, then try again. Cable modems can be picky if you move them to a new router, they might be unable to obtain a new DHCP lease from the ISP unless you keep the modem offline for at least a few minutes.

You could also try cloning the old router's WAN MAC address.
Old 12-22-2012, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMerlin View Post
Try powering off your modem and leaving it off for 10 mins, then try again. Cable modems can be picky if you move them to a new router, they might be unable to obtain a new DHCP lease from the ISP unless you keep the modem offline for at least a few minutes.

You could also try cloning the old router's WAN MAC address.
I left it unplugged overnight. Still won't connect. Just bought a Motorola surfboard modem. Hopefully that will work.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:10 PM

hail2030 is just starting out
Default Motorola SB6120 wouldn't connect to router

I have Comcast internet and my modem ran fine when I used the Linksys E4200. I got the RT-AC66R and it worked fine for a few hours and then it stopped working. Modem was online and so was the router, but I couldn't access any website on my tablet. I turned on my computer and tried to ping an address and it failed too. Powered off everything for a few minutes and it still didn't work. I figured I had a bad router, so I connected my computer directly to the modem and I still had no internet. Power cycled the modem again by removing the coaxial cable first and tried it again. Now I had internet access, so I connected the router again and lost internet access on everything again. Called Comcast and the rep told me t o power off the router and he would send a signal to my modem because he noticed there was an error on some file for the modem. He sent the signal and after a few minutes I powered on the router and I was back online. No issues since then!
Old 01-01-2013, 02:32 PM

After spending about 3 hours on the phone between ASUS and Tiime Warner Cable we didn't get anywhere other than to try and change out the modem. I finally went out and bought a motorola surfboard modem. Everything connected and has been rock solid since then.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:54 PM

jdtj63 is just starting out

Sometimes older hardware and newer hardware don't get along.

I found this out alot trying to setup VPN tunnels between different hardware and different ISP's. Some would work and others wouldn't.