SmallNetBuilder Forums
Go Back   SmallNetBuilder Forums > Wireless Networking > General Wireless Discussion

Old 02-01-2013, 08:12 PM

darkpollo is just starting out
Default Connect to Asus RT66U with an Netgear WNDR3300

Hi,

I have a wifi network created with my RTN66U router and i wan to extend it connecting an Netgear Duo WNDR3300.

I am new on this two routers. Any recomendation to make them work together?

Thanks

Last edited by darkpollo; 02-01-2013 at 09:22 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:49 PM
Very Senior Member

RogerSC is just starting out

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkpollo View Post
Hi,

I have a wifi network created with my RTN66U router and i wan to extend it connecting an Netgear Duo WNDR3300.

I am new on this two routers. Any recomendation to make them work together?

Thanks
Generally speaking, one of these would be your main router (RT-N66U), and the other would be an access point (AP, WNDR3300?). You would connect the access point to the main router via a hard-wired connection (an ethernet cable, powerline networking, or something like MoCA) and the AP would provide remote connections to the internet via wireless and wired connections. There are many articles on the internet on how to connect an AP to your main router, but this can help distribute your internet around your living space for streaming media, etc. So your main router provides DHCP and LAN services to your AP, and your AP provides those services to clients further from your main router.

Is this what you're looking for? It isn't clear from your posting what you are looking for or what you need to accomplish?
Old 02-10-2013, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerSC View Post
Generally speaking, one of these would be your main router (RT-N66U), and the other would be an access point (AP, WNDR3300?). You would connect the access point to the main router via a hard-wired connection (an ethernet cable, powerline networking, or something like MoCA) and the AP would provide remote connections to the internet via wireless and wired connections. There are many articles on the internet on how to connect an AP to your main router, but this can help distribute your internet around your living space for streaming media, etc. So your main router provides DHCP and LAN services to your AP, and your AP provides those services to clients further from your main router.

Is this what you're looking for? It isn't clear from your posting what you are looking for or what you need to accomplish?
Hi, sorry for my bad first post. I will try to explain it better, but you are right.

The Asus is going to be the main router. I have connected to that router the internet modem and 2 computers using the ethernet. Also i am using the usb for sharing and the wifi to connect 3 devices (mobile, laptop and raspberry pi).
Now i want to extend the network using the new (old) router Netgear Duo WNDR3300. So any device closer to the router netgear will connect to his wifi but using the internet and DHCP from the Asus. So the netgear will be just an access point as you says. The bad news is that i cannot connect both routers using cable. I need to connect them using wireless too.

I was able to do this in the past using two Linksys with dd-rwt firmware.

The firmware on the asus is the merlin build and the netgear has the latest official firm.

I tried to connect them using the built in WPS but it didnīt work.

Any recommendation to achieve this?

Do you know about any other router i could buy to make this work?
I do not want to spend more than 50-60$ and it will be better just to use the netgear, but...

Thank you very much!!
Old 02-10-2013, 10:04 PM

I need to add that the routers will be located 75 meters away one from the other.
Only two windows and one thin wall in between.

I have been looking to the EA N66 but i am not sure that will be able to connect from that distance.
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wirel...owall=&start=3
Old 02-24-2013, 12:15 PM

Anyone?

Thanks
Old 02-24-2013, 02:19 PM
Very Senior Member

CaptainSTX is just starting out
Default Wireless Repeater

What you need to do is re purpose your second router as a wireless repeater if the firmware supports it possible.

I have done this using DD-WRT and the settings on the second router are fairly involved.

First determine if the firmware on your second router will allow you to set it up as a wireless repeater. If not you may want to flash your second router with DD-WRT.

If you do switch to DD-WRT you will find complete instructions for setting up a wireless repeater on the WIKI for DD-WRT.

Be sure to follow the settings to setup your second router as a repeater and not as a wireless bridge if you want to be able to connect clients to it using WiFi.

Nothing needs to be changed on your primary router.

The 75M distance may be be a problem. If you get your repeter working it will cut your speed in half since the second router is now maintaining two simultaneous connections.

Good luck.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSTX View Post
What you need to do is re purpose your second router as a wireless repeater if the firmware supports it possible.

I have done this using DD-WRT and the settings on the second router are fairly involved.

First determine if the firmware on your second router will allow you to set it up as a wireless repeater. If not you may want to flash your second router with DD-WRT.

If you do switch to DD-WRT you will find complete instructions for setting up a wireless repeater on the WIKI for DD-WRT.

Be sure to follow the settings to setup your second router as a repeater and not as a wireless bridge if you want to be able to connect clients to it using WiFi.

Nothing needs to be changed on your primary router.

The 75M distance may be be a problem. If you get your repeter working it will cut your speed in half since the second router is now maintaining two simultaneous connections.

Good luck.
Thank you for the answers.

DD-WRT look the way to go. Tomato is the other firmware i am considering.
I had use both on the past so i am sure i will be able to make them work.
My problem is more hardware than software at the moment.

I am considering to buy a new router instead of using the second one.
The second one is already on use for internal sharing with 3 computers and i do not want to make the people to stop working during my tests.

Do you recommend any good router for this? Budget is around 60$.
And what about any investment on any antenna? I have seen that the Asus center can be upgraded with another one.

Speed is not really a big problem, as soon as we are able to connect i am happy.

Thanks again!