SmallNetBuilder Forums
Go Back   SmallNetBuilder Forums > LAN & WAN > Other LAN and WAN

Old 02-25-2013, 02:04 PM

OgreMkV is just starting out
Default Home Network Design Help - U-verse, etc.

Hello,

I've been doing a lot of research on this and I'm not a stranger to home networking, but this is my first really complex network build and I really wanted a second opinion. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

We're building a new house (yay!) and I've got the network cables all set up with enough jacks in each room. But I need to make sure that this thing is going to work. I don't want my X-box competing with mom's HD-dancing with the stars.

We will have U-verse (fiber to the house, also yay!) and the 2-Wire residential gateway will be in my closet along with an On-Q panel. I'm planning on having a switch in that box for almost everything.

I see two possible ways of setting this up.
The first is two run the two TV setup boxes directly from the U-verse gateway. Then setup the switch to not forward any multicast packets.

The switch would then have support dedicated gigabit ethernet to 1) Roku, 2) X-Box360 3) My PC 4) Mom's PC 5) A wireless router 6) printer 7) NAS 8) Wife's laptop when docked. More probably, I'll put the wife's laptop dock, NAS, my work laptop, and printer on a smaller switch in my office.

The second plan would be to have a larger (16-port) managed switch with each device having a direct connect (everything mentioned above + two televisions) and let the switch manage traffic. Again, using a smaller switch in the office for a few items. I've never done a managed switch before so that's a point of concern.

My understanding is that unless the switch stops the multicast traffic, then it will hit the wireless router and impact our tablets, phones, and whatever laptops are on the wireless network.

I guess the question is, which would be better? Go ahead and plan for a managed 16-port switch where I can (begging for help) set up a couple of V-LANs and only use the residential gateway to connect to the internet OR plan for using the residential gateway as part of the system?

Second question would be: Anyone have any advice for a 8-16 port managed switch (for a noob) that will fit in an On-Q panel (fanless).
Old 02-25-2013, 04:45 PM
Very Senior Member

stevech is just starting out

All the U-verse installations I've seen are not fiber to the home.
They're fiber to the neighborhood VRAD, then copper wire to the home (existing phone wires). This is like a garden hose connected to a fire hydrant.

But perhaps in new home construction tract areas, they're installing fiber underground.

IMO: Think twice about going with AT&T.

Switches: Lightly managed switches from Netgear: I have some. Inexpensive, and they do VLAN and port mirroring/monitoring.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:59 PM

OgreMkV is just starting out

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevech View Post
All the U-verse installations I've seen are not fiber to the home.
They're fiber to the neighborhood VRAD, then copper wire to the home (existing phone wires). This is like a garden hose connected to a fire hydrant.

But perhaps in new home construction tract areas, they're installing fiber underground.

IMO: Think twice about going with AT&T.

Switches: Lightly managed switches from Netgear: I have some. Inexpensive, and they do VLAN and port mirroring/monitoring.
Sigh... in our area, we have a choice of broadband. We can use U-verse from AT&T or U-verse from AT&T. If we don't need broadband, then you can (maybe) get 4G from Clearwire (or whatever they are called).

Considering my equipment and working from home, I have to have something that can handle multiple streams, including TV, simultaneously.