SmallNetBuilder Forums
Go Back   SmallNetBuilder Forums > Wireless Networking > ASUS Wireless > ASUS AC Routers & Adapters

Old 01-28-2013, 11:23 AM
Very Senior Member

mikeg is just starting out

I am not sure what you are refering to , when I look for the Hardware Accelerator I have it enabled no problem at all. Are you refering to LAN - Switch Control ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMishSr View Post
I am noticing that hardware acceleration is being reported as "Disabled" even though I have it on. I tried changing the disable hardware acceleration setting to yes, changing it back to no, letting the router reboot each time and then tried to refresh the SysInfo page to no avail. The reporting of hardware acceleration status is a new feature that I am looking forward to.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:26 PM
Very Senior Member

Thanked 4,487 Times in 1,904 Posts
RMerlin is just starting out

Quote:
I am noticing that hardware acceleration is being reported as "Disabled" even though I have it on. I tried changing the disable hardware acceleration setting to yes, changing it back to no, letting the router reboot each time and then tried to refresh the SysInfo page to no avail. The reporting of hardware acceleration status is a new feature that I am looking forward to.
The option on the Switch Control page is to force it to disabled. The firmware will automatically disable it whenever a non-compatible feature is enabled (such as QoS or Per IP monitoring).

Next beta build will report whether it is being disabled by the user or by the firmware.

EDIT: are you referring to my firmware, or this Asus beta? I didn't think they had HW acceleration status reported, that's why I assumed you were referring to Asuswrt-Merlin.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:38 PM
Very Senior Member

DaveMishSr is just starting out

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMerlin View Post
The option on the Switch Control page is to force it to disabled. The firmware will automatically disable it whenever a non-compatible feature is enabled (such as QoS or Per IP monitoring).

Next beta build will report whether it is being disabled by the user or by the firmware.

EDIT: are you referring to my firmware, or this Asus beta? I didn't think they had HW acceleration status reported, that's why I assumed you were referring to Asuswrt-Merlin.
Yes, I am running Merlin 266.24 Beta1. I also have QoS enabled so that would explain why I cannot activate hardware acceleration.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:23 PM
Very Senior Member

Thanked 4,487 Times in 1,904 Posts
RMerlin is just starting out

Quote:
Yes, I am running Merlin 266.24 Beta1. I also have QoS enabled so that would explain why I cannot activate hardware acceleration.
Thanks. You're not the first one wondering about this, so I decided to make the status report be more specific in Beta 2 based on user feedback.
The Following User Says Thank You to RMerlin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2013, 01:35 PM
Very Senior Member

I have had a couple of router rebootes just out of the blue the last days.
Now the router rebooted again a couple of hours ago. My signal strength on the 5 GHz is -27 dbm and on the 2.4 GHz -19dbm, I can connect with 300 Mbps on my laptop now. Very strange behaviuor but as this a Beta stability is not the best.

Update : I have had the unit up for nearly 4 days now without any sudden re-boots, I have adjusted the Tx power on the 5 Ghz band to 70 mW , the 2.4 Ghz band is 75 mW.
Still have problems with connectiion speed to my laptop , most of the time 108 Mbps , someteimes 162 Mps and very rarely 300 Mbps.
Will wait for the next sudden re-boot and then update the f/w to .270.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg View Post
Ok , as no one answered I upgraded to the Beta and look at it :
Broadcom BCM4331 802.11 Wireless Controller 6.30.102.9 (r366174)
from before 6.30.39.31 (r341183) .
Now I will test if this new driver is giving better signal strength stability and connection speed.

Update : have been up now for more than 12 hours , the Asus USB-N53 canĘt have a connection speed higher than 108 Mbps steadily ,
have it connected on the 5 GHz - band. The trougput is better than before , signal strength -25 dbm but on the 2.4 Ghz band I have a signal strength of -15 dbm.
inSSider shows a stable signal strenth on the 5 GHz band. A part seems to ve solved with the new drivers but the connect spped NOT.

Update 2 : Got an answer from Asus about the Beta firmware , first answer was that it was the same drivers as befiore , when I pointed out the that the drivers version was not
the same I got the following answer :
After double-checking, the BETA firmware does contain new drivers but they are no official release as we are still tweaking it for stability.
So there are still stability problems with the drivers. I just wonder how long we are supposed to wait for a solution ?

Last edited by mikeg; 02-02-2013 at 06:26 AM.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:51 AM
Very Senior Member

Exclamation No solution for the drop of signal strength on the 5 GHz band

Now I have had the Beta f/w up without any spontaneous reboots for more than 6 days. This Beta does not solve the issue with the signal degradation on the 5 GHz band. Still have to do the temporary fix to click on the Apply button on the 5 GHz Professional settings to solve the issue and get connection speed of 300 Mbps instead of 108 Mbps.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:46 PM
Very Senior Member

DaveMishSr is just starting out

Thanks. That is what makes you so unique. An off the cuff remark like the one I made not only gets noticed, but is answered and taken into account with the release of an updated version of your firmware. Absolutely outstanding!