SmallNetBuilder Forums
Go Back   SmallNetBuilder Forums > Wireless Networking > ASUS Wireless > Asuswrt-Merlin

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-21-2013, 06:11 AM
mikeg mikeg is offline
Very Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Sweden
Posts: 326
Thanks: 12
Thanked 31 Times in 31 Posts
mikeg is just starting out
Default Message decoding error: out of range

Hello,
I got this message kernel: nf_ct_ras: decoding error: out of range today.
Uptime for the AC66U : 19 days 12 hours .
Has anyone else seen this message and what is it refering to ?

Merlins f(w .23B

Last edited by mikeg; 01-21-2013 at 06:12 AM. Reason: Update
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-21-2013, 09:47 AM
RMerlin's Avatar
RMerlin RMerlin is offline
Very Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 8,613
Thanks: 44
Thanked 4,497 Times in 1,908 Posts
RMerlin is just starting out
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg View Post
Hello,
I got this message kernel: nf_ct_ras: decoding error: out of range today.
Uptime for the AC66U : 19 days 12 hours .
Has anyone else seen this message and what is it refering to ?

Merlins f(w .23B
That's just a warning. It means the Netfilter ct_ras helper module tried to process a packet thinking it was destined to him, only to find out it wasn't.

In newer versions of the kernel they simply removed that warning as it was scaring people, you can just ignore it.
__________________
Asuswrt-Merlin: Customized firmware for Asus routers
Github: github.com/RMerl - Twitter: RMerlinDev
See the sticky post for more info.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RMerlin For This Useful Post:
  #3  
Old 01-21-2013, 01:28 PM
mikeg mikeg is offline
Very Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Sweden
Posts: 326
Thanks: 12
Thanked 31 Times in 31 Posts
mikeg is just starting out
Default

Ok , thank you for the information Merlin !
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-12-2013, 01:58 AM
joegreat's Avatar
joegreat joegreat is online now
Very Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 408
Thanks: 517
Thanked 105 Times in 85 Posts
joegreat is just starting out
Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMerlin View Post
That's just a warning. It means the Netfilter ct_ras helper module tried to process a packet thinking it was destined to him, only to find out it wasn't.

In newer versions of the kernel they simply removed that warning as it was scaring people, you can just ignore it.
Hi,

Yesterday evening I go three of this messages:
Code:
Feb 11 23:45:20 kernel: nf_ct_ras: decoding error: out of range
Feb 11 23:45:37 kernel: nf_ct_ras: decoding error: out of range
Feb 11 23:45:55 kernel: nf_ct_ras: decoding error: out of range
Running the current Beta 4, it means that the warning/information message is still (or again) there...

With kind regards
Joe

Last edited by joegreat; 02-12-2013 at 03:58 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-12-2013, 09:54 AM
RMerlin's Avatar
RMerlin RMerlin is offline
Very Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 8,613
Thanks: 44
Thanked 4,497 Times in 1,908 Posts
RMerlin is just starting out
Default

The error message was never removed. By newer kernel, I mean newer than what Asuswrt uses (2.6.22.19).
__________________
Asuswrt-Merlin: Customized firmware for Asus routers
Github: github.com/RMerl - Twitter: RMerlinDev
See the sticky post for more info.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RMerlin For This Useful Post:
  #6  
Old 07-22-2013, 06:57 AM
chunlianghere chunlianghere is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 23
Thanks: 3
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
chunlianghere is just starting out
Default

it seems to be back in latest 3.0.0.4.372 from asus website.

Code:
Jul 22 04:41:26 kernel: nf_ct_ras: decoding error: out of range
Jul 22 04:41:26 kernel: nf_ct_ras: decoding error: out of range
Jul 22 11:46:30 kernel: nf_ct_ras: decoding error: out of range
Jul 22 12:31:15 kernel: nf_ct_ras: decoding error: out of range
Jul 22 12:31:15 kernel: nf_ct_ras: decoding error: out of range
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chunlianghere For This Useful Post:
  #7  
Old 07-22-2013, 12:51 PM
RMerlin's Avatar
RMerlin RMerlin is offline
Very Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 8,613
Thanks: 44
Thanked 4,497 Times in 1,908 Posts
RMerlin is just starting out
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunlianghere View Post
it seems to be back in latest 3.0.0.4.372 from asus website.

Code:
Jul 22 04:41:26 kernel: nf_ct_ras: decoding error: out of range
Jul 22 04:41:26 kernel: nf_ct_ras: decoding error: out of range
Jul 22 11:46:30 kernel: nf_ct_ras: decoding error: out of range
Jul 22 12:31:15 kernel: nf_ct_ras: decoding error: out of range
Jul 22 12:31:15 kernel: nf_ct_ras: decoding error: out of range
That never was "fixed". In fact it's not a bug, it's just a notice from the kernel that the H323 NAT helper received a packet that wasn't really intended for it.

Latter versions of the Linux kernel modified the module to only output it when syslog is set to log packets with severity level of INFO.

If you don't use any SIP or H.323 based device or software you can disable the helpers on the WAN -> NAT Passthrough page if it really bothers you.
__________________
Asuswrt-Merlin: Customized firmware for Asus routers
Github: github.com/RMerl - Twitter: RMerlinDev
See the sticky post for more info.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-23-2013, 06:00 AM
chunlianghere chunlianghere is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 23
Thanks: 3
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
chunlianghere is just starting out
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMerlin View Post
That never was "fixed". In fact it's not a bug, it's just a notice from the kernel that the H323 NAT helper received a packet that wasn't really intended for it.

Latter versions of the Linux kernel modified the module to only output it when syslog is set to log packets with severity level of INFO.

If you don't use any SIP or H.323 based device or software you can disable the helpers on the WAN -> NAT Passthrough page if it really bothers you.
thks for the info!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:40 AM.

Top 10 Stats
Top Posters* Top Thanked
RMerlin  412
stevech  154
thelonelycode...  147
L&LD  126
azazel1024  115
KGB7  99
jim769  82
DrTeeth  71
Adamm  64
speedingcheet...  61
RMerlin  4497
stevech  276
ryzhov_al  199
TeHashX  194
RogerSC  166
L&LD  164
joegreat  105
jlake  102
PrivateJoker  93
sinshiva  89
Most Viewed Threads* Hottest Threads*
Old Asuswrt-Merli...  32504
Old Asuswrt-Merli...  27378
Old ASUS...  23128
Old Beta Version...  17592
Old 'Heartbleed'...  14447
Old Linksys...  9834
Old Potential...  7997
Old Asus-Merlin...  7221
Old Groundhog...  6471
Old Linksys...  6205
Old Asuswrt-Merli...  220
Old Asuswrt-Merli...  198
Old Linksys...  149
Old ASUS...  126
Old Beta Version...  112
Old Potential...  98
Old Linksys...  83
Old Groundhog...  49
Old Asus router...  43
Old USB drive...  41



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006-2014 Pudai LLC All Rights Reserved.