This is HOW-TO for using Adblock Plus
filters on router with Merlin's firmware. Better to use it with iOS/Android devices. Using with PC will slow down web surfing because of router performance limitations.
It's based on privoxy
— a proxy server, which will intercept and filter all web-traffic from chosen iOS/Android device.
1. Asuswrt-Merlin driven RT-N16/RT-N66U/RT-AC66U router with USB-drive.
2. Working Entware environment. Please, refer to Eric's how-to
1. Install necessary packages:
2. Install prepared privoxy configuration file:
3. Install script for converting AdBlock Plus rules:
4. Choose AdBlock Plus subscriptions.
Please, find "URLS=" string in privoxy-blocklist_0.2.sh and put your own subscriptions here. You may sneak subscription URLs in you favourite browser or here
. The default subscriptions is a easylistgermany and easylist.
Now convert AdBlock Plus rules to privoxy format by running:
5. Choose iOS/Android/PC device where filtering needed.
Please, go to router's web interface, "LAN > DHCP Server" page, and select "Enable Manual Assignment" button.
Add your device to "Manually Assigned IP around the DHCP list". Better to do it while device is connected to router: you may select it's MAC from drop-down list and assign an IP address for it, for example "192.168.0.101". Don't forget to push "Apply" button (I did
6. Add web traffic interception rule to iptables.
where 192.168.0.101 is an IP address from step above.
Reboot router and check web surfing on chosen device.
If you want to change AdBlock subscriptions, please remove old ones first:
then repeat step #4 only.