SmallNetBuilder Forums
Go Back   SmallNetBuilder Forums > NAS > QNAP

Old 02-08-2013, 03:43 AM

phrehdd is just starting out
Default QNAP 559 maxing out need to get larger drives

Has anyone replaced their drives in a 559 or similar NAS to expand capacity?

Best I can tell I have to replace one at a time and after all the drives are replaced then expand?

Any help would be appreciated.

I have 559 with 5x2g Samsung drives I am looking at the 3 gig red Western Digital drives. Again any help would be appreciated.

My worry is I don't have (anymore) reasonable ability to back up all of the NAS files but I can live with that and hopefully not lose any files/data.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:00 PM

travisco_nabisco is just starting out

I just did a quick look at the QNP NAS user manual online and in the "RAID Management" section QNAP Turbo NAS User Manual are the following steps:

Quote:
Expand Capacity (Online RAID Capacity Expansion)

Scenario

You bought four 250GB hard drives for initial setup of a TS-509 Pro NAS and configured RAID 5 disk configuration with the four hard drives.

A half year later, the data size of the department has largely increased to 1.5TB. In other words, the storage capacity of the NAS is running out of use. At the same time, the price of 1TB hard drives has dropped to a large extent.

Operation procedure

In “Disk Management” > “RAID Management”, select the disk volume for expansion and click “EXPAND CAPACITY”.

Click “Change” for the first hard drive to be replaced. Follow the instructions to proceed.

Tip: After replacing the hard drive, the description field shows “You can replace this drive”. This means you can replace the hard drive to a larger one or skip this step if the hard drives have been replaced already.

Caution: When the hard drive synchronization is in process, do NOT turn off the NAS or plug in or unplug the hard disk drives.

When the description displays “Please remove this drive”, remove the hard drive from the NAS. Wait for the NAS to beep twice after removing the hard drive.

When the description displays “Please insert the new drive”, plug in the new hard drive to the drive slot.

After plugging in the hard drive, wait for the NAS to beep. The system will start rebuilding.

After rebuilding has completed, repeat the steps above to replace other hard drives.

After changing the hard drives and disk rebuilding has completed, click “EXPAND CAPACITY” to execute RAID capacity expansion.

Click “OK” to proceed.

The NAS beeps and starts to expand the capacity.

The process may take from hours to tens of hours to finish depending on the drive size. Please wait patiently for the process to finish. Do NOT turn off the power of the NAS.

After RAID capacity expansion has finished, the new capacity is shown and the status is “Ready”. You can start to use the NAS. (In the example you have 3.7TB logical volume.)

Tip: If the description still shows “You can replace this hard drive” and the status of the drive volume says “Ready”, it means the RAID volume is still expandable.