SmallNetBuilder Forums
Go Back   SmallNetBuilder Forums > Wireless Networking > ASUS Wireless > ASUS N Routers & Adapters

Old 02-28-2013, 10:46 PM

iamstillvince is just starting out

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomvd View Post
So many different experiences. I tested with complete new firmware & factory wipe for SGS Note (4.1.2) on stock *and* router reset, with *no* other WIFI signals... same thing.

Hardware issue? Maybe but I doubt as all runs fine as long as I disable security....
i would try swapping/exchanging your hardware.... i have had troubles but never with my android phones
Old 03-01-2013, 10:01 AM

Guz is just starting out

Have you tried updating or just considered that it might be an issue with Android?

I've always found it it odd that the router get's the blame when someone say's "I have all these different devices connecting fine, except for X, so it's the router's fault." Maybe X is the issue.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:38 PM

tomvd is just starting out

@Guz: If you read the intial post you would have seen:
1- old LinkSys runs excellent
2- problem presists on 6 different phones in various Android versions
Old 04-08-2013, 05:39 AM

tomvd is just starting out
Default Problem Solved....

Finally after 3 months we figured out the problem... and seem to have solved it.

One of our HP laptops got a new WIFI Driver update... and now all the Android phone on the network keep their connection!!

Appearantly the ASUS is more sensitive than older routers for the behaviour of bad behaving WIFI clients...

It is still puzzling us why we did not found this solution earlier. It seems that even after the HP laptop was shut down, the problem persisted for a while, hence not giving us the clue that the problem might indeed be there... Dont know... but .. end result is connection stability for all devices
Old 02-27-2014, 01:35 PM

WereWolf is just starting out

I have similar problem with my android phone and Asus router - actually not the same model, but I think it might be related. Anyway.. from the beginning. I'm not a network expert, so sorry for any mistakes (and also for my English, I know it's not perfect...)

I have ASUS RT-AC68U and I've noticed high battery drain on my phone, but actually I didn't relate it to the router on the beginning. I've tried almost anything on my phone trying to prevent wakelocks - frozen/uninstalled dozens of applications etc. but nothing helped. I was fighting with it all the weekend and... nothing. On Monday I went to work and... everything stopped - no strange wakelocks, no battery drainage. Simple conclusion - something with my router settings...
I found that thread and tried the solution with another access point for the android device. I have my old WRT-54GL - I've set it up only as a simple router, within the same subnet as the primary router and it didn't actually helped. I've disconnected WRT from the ASUS, trying to figure out if it's still something from the ASUS router, or maybe because of the noise in the neighborhood. With the android device connected only to linksys everything was fine, so I thought that it might be something sending out by ASUS router to all subnet. I was going to set up linksys as a secondary router with different subnet but I've tried other solution.

ASUS has the ability to create guest wifi networks. I've tried to set it up with the restriction not to access intranet and... now almost no wakelocks on android. When I switch the restriction to allow intranet access, the wakelocks returns, so there must be something sending by the router, maybe to entire subnet, but I don't know how to figure it out.

I was trying tcpdump on the router itself, but I don't see anything strange sending out. I was thinking about ARP requests, which are very often when ASUS'es AiCloud is turned on, but even with it turned off the same things happen, so I'm out of ideas now.

I'd be grateful for any advice, maybe there is some simple explanation of that...

Tags
android, asus router, asus rt-n56, jelly bean, samsung galaxy