SmallNetBuilder Forums
Go Back   SmallNetBuilder Forums > Wireless Networking > General Wireless Discussion

Old 11-26-2012, 08:43 AM

sbjaved is just starting out
Default Setting up network...?

I have attached a diagram of my network.

I have two internet connections. I want to use 1 connection for general browsing and another solely for torrents.

I have a headless file server which also serves as a torrent box. Currently I'm connected wirelessly to the dlink router and the server is also connected to it. both my laptop and server are sharing the same internet connection.

Is it possible to make the server use 1 internet connection while i use another internet connection wirelessly while sharing files from the server at the same time...???

I could connect to 1 isp modem directly but if its possible to do all this while remaining wireless at the same time...i'd like to know...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg network.jpg (22.5 KB, 6 views)
Old 11-26-2012, 11:42 AM

Basically I want what this guy's explaining...
Can I connect two routers with two internet connections together in a multiple gateway setup?
Old 11-26-2012, 01:30 PM
Very Senior Member

CaptainSTX is just starting out

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbjaved View Post
I have attached a diagram of my network.

I have two internet connections. I want to use 1 connection for general browsing and another solely for torrents.

I have a headless file server which also serves as a torrent box. Currently I'm connected wirelessly to the dlink router and the server is also connected to it. both my laptop and server are sharing the same internet connection.

Is it possible to make the server use 1 internet connection while i use another internet connection wirelessly while sharing files from the server at the same time...???

I could connect to 1 isp modem directly but if its possible to do all this while remaining wireless at the same time...i'd like to know...
\

I would suggest you look at the specifications and features of Load Balancing Routers. TP-LINK makes several. This hardware/ software combination will allow you to have two or more WAN connections and then allocate the combined bandwidth based on whatever rules you establish.

You could then hang a wireless AP on one of the router's LAN ports to give you WiFi connectivity.

IMHO you will find it easier to accomplish what you want using a piece of hardware specifically designed for this application instead of using one or more routers and then tweaking QOS settings, service blocking, etc and attempt to get the result you want.

Some consumer type routers will allow you to connect a second WAN source (usually a thumbstick type USB modem) but this is usually just to provide backup Internet connection if the primary WAN source fails.

Perhaps someone else will have another solution for you but again in my experience starting with a piece of hardware designed for your application is generally simplier than reinventing the wheel.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:48 PM

Studying the article I linked to earlier, I came up with a network diagram (attached below) based on his guide. Will this work?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Network Diagram with Linksys.jpg (48.7 KB, 3 views)