SmallNetBuilder Forums
Go Back   SmallNetBuilder Forums > Wireless Networking > General Wireless Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #11  
Old 01-06-2013, 02:25 PM
stevech stevech is offline
Very Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: San Diego
Posts: 4,989
Thanks: 1
Thanked 358 Times in 345 Posts
stevech is just starting out
Default

Opinion alert: Hate to reiterate, but consumers' "spending too much money" is Apple's hardware business plan! The high premium for Apple hardware is more like a threefold-tithe.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-06-2013, 08:47 PM
sfx2000 sfx2000 is offline
Very Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,305
Thanks: 17
Thanked 137 Times in 123 Posts
sfx2000 is just starting out
Default

Get what you pay for, lol...

Seriously though, the Airport Extreme is price competitive with Netgear/DLink/Linksys when you compare features at the higher end.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-06-2013, 09:40 PM
stevech stevech is offline
Very Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: San Diego
Posts: 4,989
Thanks: 1
Thanked 358 Times in 345 Posts
stevech is just starting out
Default

keyword-search these forums... I recall reading a dozen or so threads where people with Apple WiFi have trouble too often, making it interoperate with non-Apple WiFi devices. Now 802.11 should assure air link interoperability. From these thread discussions, and my own three or so times helping others with Apple, there are problems with things like pass-phrases for WiFi encrytion... where the math transform from pass-phrase to WPA/WEP hex digits (hidden from user) may differ in some pairings. Apple tends to hide details needed for troubleshooting, in an attempt to simplify. But it gets hard when you don't know how to "lift the hood".

I also recall some people complaining that some Apple WiFi routers/APs have poorer range than top-quality non-Apple. Mayb hooey though.

There is the Apple AirPort Express which, as I recall, does not have full AP/Router functionality. I think it's a client bridge and it confuses people, esp. those who connect it to a DSL/Cable modem.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-06-2013, 10:09 PM
sfx2000 sfx2000 is offline
Very Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,305
Thanks: 17
Thanked 137 Times in 123 Posts
sfx2000 is just starting out
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevech View Post
keyword-search these forums... I recall reading a dozen or so threads where people with Apple WiFi have trouble too often, making it interoperate with non-Apple WiFi devices. Now 802.11 should assure air link interoperability. From these thread discussions, and my own three or so times helping others with Apple, there are problems with things like pass-phrases for WiFi encrytion... where the math transform from pass-phrase to WPA/WEP hex digits (hidden from user) may differ in some pairings. Apple tends to hide details needed for troubleshooting, in an attempt to simplify. But it gets hard when you don't know how to "lift the hood".
Well known that Apple has dispensed with WEP, and pushed the community very hard towards WPA/WPA2 - is that a bad thing?

Just like enforcing 20MHz channels in 2.4GHz - not just about WiFi, but Bluetooth - and you don't want your Airport Extreme interfering with your Microwave Oven correct?

I suppose the ASUS RT-66U. I can be angry at them for interfering with my pizza slice warmups

Quote:
I also recall some people complaining that some Apple WiFi routers/APs have poorer range than top-quality non-Apple. Mayb hooey though.
Current HW seems to be just fine... off-site review from a non-Apple Fanboi site...

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4577/a...faster-wifi-/6

Quote:
There is the Apple AirPort Express which, as I recall, does not have full AP/Router functionality. I think it's a client bridge and it confuses people, esp. those who connect it to a DSL/Cable modem.
Airport Express has always had full AP/Router functionality...
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-08-2013, 01:35 AM
stevech stevech is offline
Very Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: San Diego
Posts: 4,989
Thanks: 1
Thanked 358 Times in 345 Posts
stevech is just starting out
Default

Airport Express... a friend of mine has one... I tried to help him get it going. I now recall that yes, it is a router, but has only one LAN ethernet port. Needs a switch added in some use cases.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-11-2013, 09:00 PM
sfx2000 sfx2000 is offline
Very Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,305
Thanks: 17
Thanked 137 Times in 123 Posts
sfx2000 is just starting out
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevech View Post
Airport Express... a friend of mine has one... I tried to help him get it going. I now recall that yes, it is a router, but has only one LAN ethernet port. Needs a switch added in some use cases.
yep, the older models had a single ethernet port (typically WAN, but can be configured as a LAN port in a bridge config).

The 2012 edition has a second port...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:47 PM.


Top 10 Stats
Top Posters* Top Thanked
RMerlin  360
L&LD  122
john9527  119
htismaqe  94
azazel1024  92
stevech  86
huotg01  80
jegesq  76
watusi  58
ColinTaylor  55
RMerlin  6395
john9527  504
stevech  357
ryzhov_al  298
TeHashX  263
L&LD  255
RogerSC  205
sinshiva  149
sfx2000  137
hggomes  128
Most Viewed Threads* Hottest Threads*
Old New AC68...  9446
Old Why not...  8256
Old ASUS RT-N66U...  5701
Old RT-AC66U...  3444
Old Why ASUS?  2371
Old NAS...  1837
Old Help Plz:...  1599
Old Asus...  1495
Old OpenVPN...  1423
Old Remote...  1368
Old Why not...  81
Old Remote...  46
Old New AC68...  36
Old Whats going...  28
Old RT-N66U...  26
Old Extension...  26
Old The future...  26
Old What are the...  25
Old ASUS RT-N66U...  25
Old OpenVPN...  25


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006-2014 Pudai LLC All Rights Reserved.