SmallNetBuilder Forums
Go Back   SmallNetBuilder Forums > Wireless Networking > ASUS Wireless > ASUS AC Routers & Adapters

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #41  
Old 09-14-2013, 11:05 AM
samhain1 samhain1 is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 9
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
samhain1 is just starting out
Default

So it this a downgrade from the 66U and users of the 66U should go for the 67 or 68 when they appear?
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 09-14-2013, 01:40 PM
RMerlin's Avatar
RMerlin RMerlin is online now
Very Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 10,896
Thanks: 56
Thanked 6,062 Times in 2,471 Posts
RMerlin is just starting out
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhain1 View Post
So it this a downgrade from the 66U and users of the 66U should go for the 67 or 68 when they appear?
Depends on what you are looking for. USB 3.0 and faster CPU mean faster disk sharing and Download Master performance. The faster CPU also means faster VPN, and faster WAN to LAN performance if you use features that cause HW acceleration to be disabled.

Dual-stream wifi means slower wireless IF you have a triple stream card (not many people do).

So no, it's not a downgrade over the RT-AC66U. Simply a parallel product with its own strengths and weaknesses. For me, it was a rather major upgrade for my own specific use.
__________________
Asuswrt-Merlin: Customized firmware for Asus routers
Github: github.com/RMerl - Twitter: RMerlinDev
See the sticky post for more info.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 09-14-2013, 02:03 PM
tibere86 tibere86 is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 25
Thanks: 15
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
tibere86 is just starting out
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMerlin View Post
Depends on what you are looking for. USB 3.0 and faster CPU mean faster disk sharing and Download Master performance. The faster CPU also means faster VPN, and faster WAN to LAN performance if you use features that cause HW acceleration to be disabled.

Dual-stream wifi means slower wireless IF you have a triple stream card (not many people do).

So no, it's not a downgrade over the RT-AC66U. Simply a parallel product with its own strengths and weaknesses. For me, it was a rather major upgrade for my own specific use.
I read this review on Amazon, is this true?

"I was unpleasantly surprised to discover it has 128MB RAM, not 256MB like they claim on Asus website or Amazon page. It's easy to check, just turn on "telnet" under Administration -> System, then you can telnet to asus router and type "sysinfo" or "free" to check available memory.
admin@RT-AC56U:/proc/sys/kernel# free
total used free shared buffers
Mem: 126220 52464 73756 0 1384
Swap: 0 0 0
Total: 126220 52464 73756

I'm going to return it only because I feel like Asus benefits from misleading their loyal customers (and yes I like asus products but I think it's unacceptable). 128MB is twice less than ac66u
."
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 09-14-2013, 03:23 PM
thiggins's Avatar
thiggins thiggins is offline
Mr. Easy
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 9,191
Thanks: 165
Thanked 629 Times in 533 Posts
thiggins is just starting out
Default

The AC56U opened on my disk right now has an ESMT M15F2G16128A DDR3, which is a 2Gbit (256 MByte) DDR3 RAM chip.

So it has the memory as advertised.
__________________
Tim Higgins
Managing Editor,SmallNetBuilder.com
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thiggins For This Useful Post:
  #45  
Old 09-14-2013, 04:27 PM
RMerlin's Avatar
RMerlin RMerlin is online now
Very Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 10,896
Thanks: 56
Thanked 6,062 Times in 2,471 Posts
RMerlin is just starting out
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibere86 View Post
I read this review on Amazon, is this true?

"I was unpleasantly surprised to discover it has 128MB RAM, not 256MB like they claim on Asus website or Amazon page. It's easy to check, just turn on "telnet" under Administration -> System, then you can telnet to asus router and type "sysinfo" or "free" to check available memory.
admin@RT-AC56U:/proc/sys/kernel# free
total used free shared buffers
Mem: 126220 52464 73756 0 1384
Swap: 0 0 0
Total: 126220 52464 73756

I'm going to return it only because I feel like Asus benefits from misleading their loyal customers (and yes I like asus products but I think it's unacceptable). 128MB is twice less than ac66u
."
The router does have 256 MB. Sounds like his router had a pre-release firmware on it (my initial sample from Asus with FW 3.0.0.4.367 had 128 MB available, one week later I got the FW upgrade that enabled the full 256 MB).

A simple FW upgrade would have fixed that person's router.
__________________
Asuswrt-Merlin: Customized firmware for Asus routers
Github: github.com/RMerl - Twitter: RMerlinDev
See the sticky post for more info.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RMerlin For This Useful Post:
  #46  
Old 09-14-2013, 06:15 PM
tibere86 tibere86 is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 25
Thanks: 15
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
tibere86 is just starting out
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiggins View Post
The AC56U opened on my disk right now has an ESMT M15F2G16128A DDR3, which is a 2Gbit (256 MByte) DDR3 RAM chip.

So it has the memory as advertised.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMerlin View Post
The router does have 256 MB. Sounds like his router had a pre-release firmware on it (my initial sample from Asus with FW 3.0.0.4.367 had 128 MB available, one week later I got the FW upgrade that enabled the full 256 MB).

A simple FW upgrade would have fixed that person's router.
Thanks thiggins + RMerlin!
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 09-16-2013, 11:11 AM
savestheday savestheday is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 18
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
savestheday is just starting out
Default

Hi all,
Currently using (2) RT-N66U's in my setup. One (down the basement; crappy wifi coverage because of steel beams down there) as a pure router running Shibby Tomato and the other, running RMerlin's build, as a pure access point (upstairs).

For those of you that own it, would you say the range on the AC-56U is better than that of a N66U? I am within the 30 day return window for the second N66U and now that Amazon has the AC-56U is stock, I could return it and get the 56U.

I also use the SSHd a lot and have a VM dedicated for this purpose. I think the ARM proc in the 56U could probably serve my SSHd tunneling needs just as well.

Thx in advance....
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 09-16-2013, 01:12 PM
RMerlin's Avatar
RMerlin RMerlin is online now
Very Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 10,896
Thanks: 56
Thanked 6,062 Times in 2,471 Posts
RMerlin is just starting out
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by savestheday View Post
Hi all,
Currently using (2) RT-N66U's in my setup. One (down the basement; crappy wifi coverage because of steel beams down there) as a pure router running Shibby Tomato and the other, running RMerlin's build, as a pure access point (upstairs).

For those of you that own it, would you say the range on the AC-56U is better than that of a N66U? I am within the 30 day return window for the second N66U and now that Amazon has the AC-56U is stock, I could return it and get the 56U.

I also use the SSHd a lot and have a VM dedicated for this purpose. I think the ARM proc in the 56U could probably serve my SSHd tunneling needs just as well.

Thx in advance....
The RT-AC56U range should be either similar or worse than the RT-N66U. It only has internal antennas. I did see a slight range decrease on my Nexus 7 when I switched from an RT-AC66U to an RT-AC56U.

If you need a range increase, you will probably need to look at using third party antennas. The RT-AC68U might possible increase the range, but I'm not sure as the router hasn't been fully launched yet.
__________________
Asuswrt-Merlin: Customized firmware for Asus routers
Github: github.com/RMerl - Twitter: RMerlinDev
See the sticky post for more info.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 09-16-2013, 01:21 PM
thiggins's Avatar
thiggins thiggins is offline
Mr. Easy
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 9,191
Thanks: 165
Thanked 629 Times in 533 Posts
thiggins is just starting out
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by savestheday View Post
For those of you that own it, would you say the range on the AC-56U is better than that of a N66U? I am within the 30 day return window for the second N66U and now that Amazon has the AC-56U is stock, I could return it and get the 56U.
The profile comparisons say that the RT-N66U should have higher effective range since its throughput is up in the 40 - 50 Mbps range at the
endpoints of our testing.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwa...6-asus-rtac56u

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwa...6-asus-rtac56u

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwa...6-asus-rtac56u

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwa...6-asus-rtac56u
__________________
Tim Higgins
Managing Editor,SmallNetBuilder.com
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thiggins For This Useful Post:
  #50  
Old 09-16-2013, 03:29 PM
savestheday savestheday is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 18
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
savestheday is just starting out
Default

Perfect. Thanks guys. I guess I'll hold onto the N66U till the RT-AC68U comes out. I don't have any AC clients (yet) so I'm in no rush for AC speeds. Hopefully the RT-AC68U with its external antennas will have greater reach than the N66U.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
802.11ac, asuswrt, broadcom, dual band, rt-ac56u

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:20 AM.


Top 10 Stats
Top Posters* Top Thanked
RMerlin  413
john9527  163
azazel1024  116
htismaqe  104
sfx2000  88
ColinTaylor  73
stevech  70
AndreyPopov  62
TonyH  53
bbb0777  41
RMerlin  6061
john9527  394
stevech  351
ryzhov_al  280
TeHashX  237
L&LD  232
RogerSC  201
sinshiva  147
sfx2000  134
joegreat  126
Most Viewed Threads* Hottest Threads*
Old Asuswrt-Merli...  31850
Old RT-AC68P...  3137
Old Brainstorming...  2768
Old Advice on...  2659
Old Looking for...  2400
Old Asus...  1856
Old Issues...  1831
Old Stable...  1761
Old AC-68...  1660
Old 3 months...  1507
Old Asuswrt-Merli...  228
Old Brainstorming...  49
Old Advice on...  49
Old Looking for...  35
Old RT-AC68P...  33
Old WiFi...  27
Old Issues...  25
Old Stable...  25
Old WiFi Rates  23
Old Firewall...  22


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006-2014 Pudai LLC All Rights Reserved.