SmallNetBuilder Forums
Go Back   SmallNetBuilder Forums > Wireless Networking > ASUS Wireless > ASUS N Routers & Adapters

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #11  
Old 02-03-2013, 04:30 PM
Mark the Red Mark the Red is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 28
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mark the Red is just starting out
Default

Thank you TeHashex.

I am still not comfortable enough in a linux OS to make patches myself just yet.

For instance, your guide command:

git clone https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin.git

Leaves me unsure as to which firmware version source I am downloading to edit. 266.22 beta1? 266.,24 beta2, 270.xxx? Obvious question to you, but to me I'd probably end up making a "new" firmware from some derelict code by accident and creating more problems than I resolve.

Until I see some major glitches with my firmware just yet, I will continue using the firmware you made for me. Thanks again.

The only issue I am having currently is my blu-ray player does not like the dynamic IP assignment from my router and requires a full reboot every 3-4 weeks to fix internet access. It's entirely the blu-ray players fault and nothing to do with the firmware AFAIK.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-04-2013, 12:51 AM
got_milk got_milk is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 106
Thanks: 2
Thanked 18 Times in 15 Posts
got_milk is just starting out
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark the Red View Post
For instance, your guide command:

git clone https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin.git

Leaves me unsure as to which firmware version source I am downloading to edit. 266.22 beta1? 266.,24 beta2, 270.xxx? Obvious question to you, but to me I'd probably end up making a "new" firmware from some derelict code by accident and creating more problems than I resolve.
All that command does is download the latest code from the Asuswrt-Merlin repository. It won't necessarily have a build number to it, it'll just be the most recent code that Eric has committed and pushed to the repository, if that makes sense.

Do keep in mind that the code might not necessarily be in a working state at any given time - the build may just fail outright, or it might not work on the router, or it might not work as expected - any number of things can go wrong. Not to scare you off - it's definitely cool that you've taken the interest in building the software yourself - but it's definitely something to keep in mind. Luckily for you, however the RT-N66U is practically unbrickable with a recovery mode that'll let you reflash firmware if something goes wrong, so unless you're tinkering with your CFE you should be fine.

@RMerlin: it might be helpful to tag releases in git, so if others want to apply patches to fix certain issues, they can have stable codebases to work off of rather than pulling the latest code which might not be ready for prime time usage just yet.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-04-2013, 01:04 AM
RMerlin's Avatar
RMerlin RMerlin is offline
Very Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 10,894
Thanks: 56
Thanked 6,062 Times in 2,471 Posts
RMerlin is just starting out
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by got_milk View Post
@RMerlin: it might be helpful to tag releases in git, so if others want to apply patches to fix certain issues, they can have stable codebases to work off of rather than pulling the latest code which might not be ready for prime time usage just yet.
I tried to do it for a while but couldn't get into the discipline of doing it constantly. I'll see what would work best with Github.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
__________________
Asuswrt-Merlin: Customized firmware for Asus routers
Github: github.com/RMerl - Twitter: RMerlinDev
See the sticky post for more info.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-04-2013, 11:19 AM
got_milk got_milk is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 106
Thanks: 2
Thanked 18 Times in 15 Posts
got_milk is just starting out
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMerlin View Post
I tried to do it for a while but couldn't get into the discipline of doing it constantly. I'll see what would work best with Github.
Code:
git tag -a 3.0.0.4.266.24 -m "Release version 3.0.0.4.266.24"
git push --tags
is generally how I do it on GitHub.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-04-2013, 12:49 PM
Mark the Red Mark the Red is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 28
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mark the Red is just starting out
Default

Thanks all.

I'll guess have to just bribe either Merlin or TeHashX with paypal donations or sexual favors to include this sony dlna fix on future firmware releases.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-04-2013, 01:01 PM
TeHashX's Avatar
TeHashX TeHashX is offline
Very Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Europe
Posts: 642
Thanks: 142
Thanked 237 Times in 136 Posts
TeHashX is just starting out
Default

Money serve at nothing...

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-04-2013, 02:23 PM
RMerlin's Avatar
RMerlin RMerlin is offline
Very Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 10,894
Thanks: 56
Thanked 6,062 Times in 2,471 Posts
RMerlin is just starting out
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark the Red View Post
Thanks all.

I'll guess have to just bribe either Merlin or TeHashX with paypal donations or sexual favors to include this sony dlna fix on future firmware releases.
Need to be sure it won't break other devices - that's the actual important thing.
__________________
Asuswrt-Merlin: Customized firmware for Asus routers
Github: github.com/RMerl - Twitter: RMerlinDev
See the sticky post for more info.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-04-2013, 02:26 PM
RMerlin's Avatar
RMerlin RMerlin is offline
Very Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 10,894
Thanks: 56
Thanked 6,062 Times in 2,471 Posts
RMerlin is just starting out
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by got_milk View Post
Code:
git tag -a 3.0.0.4.266.24 -m "Release version 3.0.0.4.266.24"
git push --tags
is generally how I do it on GitHub.
Can a clone be specified a tag? That's where I wasn't sure if it would make cloning a stable copy easier, or would be better off having a separate Stable branch to which I would push whenever I release a new stable version.

I might start looking at a few other big Github projects (like XBMC) to see how they handle it on their end.

But tagging would definitely be a good idea, if only for making it easier to figure out important points in the timeline.
__________________
Asuswrt-Merlin: Customized firmware for Asus routers
Github: github.com/RMerl - Twitter: RMerlinDev
See the sticky post for more info.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-04-2013, 04:02 PM
got_milk got_milk is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 106
Thanks: 2
Thanked 18 Times in 15 Posts
got_milk is just starting out
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMerlin View Post
Can a clone be specified a tag?
No. It's one extra step to get to a tag, however:

Code:
git clone git://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin.git
git tag -l (optional, lists all tags)
git checkout 3.0.0.4.266.24
Also, GitHub allows to download tarballs and zipped versions of the repository at that particular tag, so instead of cloning the repo, they could just download an extract a tarball. I'm not sure if you could then do a fetch and merge in newer changes from that, or if you're stuck with that particular tagged code. I've never tried.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to got_milk For This Useful Post:
  #20  
Old 02-04-2013, 05:47 PM
RMerlin's Avatar
RMerlin RMerlin is offline
Very Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 10,894
Thanks: 56
Thanked 6,062 Times in 2,471 Posts
RMerlin is just starting out
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by got_milk View Post
No. It's one extra step to get to a tag, however:

Code:
git clone git://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin.git
git tag -l (optional, lists all tags)
git checkout 3.0.0.4.266.24
That looks like an acceptable solution to me. Just need to document it on the Wiki for easy access to newcomers. Using branches might prove to be more confusing than tags (since branches in the Github concept aren't exactly the same thing people are used to in other RCS).

Quote:
Originally Posted by got_milk View Post
Also, GitHub allows to download tarballs and zipped versions of the repository at that particular tag, so instead of cloning the repo, they could just download an extract a tarball. I'm not sure if you could then do a fetch and merge in newer changes from that, or if you're stuck with that particular tagged code. I've never tried.
That would probably imply including the history or at least some other metadata to allow one to do a pull afterward. Probably cleaner to rely on tags IMHO.
__________________
Asuswrt-Merlin: Customized firmware for Asus routers
Github: github.com/RMerl - Twitter: RMerlinDev
See the sticky post for more info.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:13 PM.


Top 10 Stats
Top Posters* Top Thanked
RMerlin  411
john9527  161
azazel1024  116
htismaqe  104
sfx2000  88
ColinTaylor  73
stevech  70
AndreyPopov  62
TonyH  53
bbb0777  41
RMerlin  6061
john9527  393
stevech  351
ryzhov_al  280
TeHashX  237
L&LD  232
RogerSC  201
sinshiva  147
sfx2000  134
joegreat  126
Most Viewed Threads* Hottest Threads*
Old Asuswrt-Merli...  31697
Old RT-AC68P...  3097
Old Brainstorming...  2758
Old Advice on...  2651
Old Looking for...  2392
Old Asus...  1849
Old Issues...  1816
Old Stable...  1756
Old AC-68...  1654
Old 3 months...  1504
Old Asuswrt-Merli...  227
Old Brainstorming...  49
Old Advice on...  49
Old Looking for...  35
Old RT-AC68P...  33
Old WiFi...  27
Old Stable...  25
Old Issues...  25
Old WiFi Rates  23
Old Firewall...  22


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006-2014 Pudai LLC All Rights Reserved.