SmallNetBuilder Forums
Go Back   SmallNetBuilder Forums > Wireless Networking > Wireless Article Discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #11  
Old 01-31-2013, 09:47 PM
sfx2000 sfx2000 is offline
Very Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 729
Thanks: 7
Thanked 65 Times in 61 Posts
sfx2000 is just starting out
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiggins View Post
It applies to the 2.4 GHz radio in either kind of router. I clarified Fix 3.
Same would apply for dual-band gear at times - A/B/G STA's - might want to consider pushing them down to 2.4Ghz - many of those will prefer 5GHz if present...
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-01-2013, 12:19 AM
tipstir tipstir is offline
Very Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1,619
Thanks: 0
Thanked 34 Times in 34 Posts
tipstir is just starting out
Send a message via AIM to tipstir Send a message via Yahoo to tipstir Send a message via Skype™ to tipstir
Default

Guys I connect to both 802.11n and 802.11g on the same WiFi AP don't have issue doing so. Using 802.11n only on 802.11n and then getting one for 802.11g only runs into issues. I've tired it and never works out in the end. Today's Smart WiFi Gear seems to do a much better job with the two WiFi standards.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-01-2013, 07:27 AM
thiggins's Avatar
thiggins thiggins is offline
Mr. Easy
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 8,512
Thanks: 95
Thanked 464 Times in 396 Posts
thiggins is just starting out
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipstir View Post
Guys I connect to both 802.11n and 802.11g on the same WiFi AP don't have issue doing so. Using 802.11n only on 802.11n and then getting one for 802.11g only runs into issues. I've tired it and never works out in the end. Today's Smart WiFi Gear seems to do a much better job with the two WiFi standards.
the throughout hit is more noticeable with heavy traffic and most people will not notice the effect.

There isn't any intelligence that can be added to APs to prevent the effect because it is caused by the longer airtime required by slower 11g.

What "issues" does having a separate 11g AP cause?
__________________
Tim Higgins
Managing Editor,SmallNetBuilder.com
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-01-2013, 07:29 AM
thiggins's Avatar
thiggins thiggins is offline
Mr. Easy
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 8,512
Thanks: 95
Thanked 464 Times in 396 Posts
thiggins is just starting out
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfx2000 View Post
WPA2/AES is strongly suggested for 802.11n networks.
Actually, it is required to enable link rates above 54 Mbps.
__________________
Tim Higgins
Managing Editor,SmallNetBuilder.com
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-01-2013, 10:07 PM
sfx2000 sfx2000 is offline
Very Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 729
Thanks: 7
Thanked 65 Times in 61 Posts
sfx2000 is just starting out
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiggins View Post
Actually, it is required to enable link rates above 54 Mbps.
There's a lot of gear out there that does not enforce that requirement - on both the STA and AP side...

Just saying, and supporting the statement - WPA2/WMM - makes the most of 802.11n/ac
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-01-2013, 10:11 PM
sfx2000 sfx2000 is offline
Very Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 729
Thanks: 7
Thanked 65 Times in 61 Posts
sfx2000 is just starting out
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiggins View Post
the throughout hit is more noticeable with heavy traffic and most people will not notice the effect.

There isn't any intelligence that can be added to APs to prevent the effect because it is caused by the longer airtime required by slower 11g.

What "issues" does having a separate 11g AP cause?
It's less of an issue now than it was before - better drivers/silcon as 802.11n matures.

Having a dedicated 802.11g AP when also supporting 802.11n in the same band is not efficient from a channel perspective - be a good neighbor and give them some spectrum - esp in 2.4Ghz (b/g/n space)
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-02-2013, 08:26 AM
thiggins's Avatar
thiggins thiggins is offline
Mr. Easy
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 8,512
Thanks: 95
Thanked 464 Times in 396 Posts
thiggins is just starting out
Default

Quote:
There's a lot of gear out there that does not enforce that requirement - on both the STA and AP side
Could you cite a few examples please? This is an 802.11n spec requirement. High link rates are also allowed with NO encryption.
__________________
Tim Higgins
Managing Editor,SmallNetBuilder.com
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-02-2013, 08:43 AM
thiggins's Avatar
thiggins thiggins is offline
Mr. Easy
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 8,512
Thanks: 95
Thanked 464 Times in 396 Posts
thiggins is just starting out
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfx2000 View Post
It's less of an issue now than it was before - better drivers/silcon as 802.11n matures.
I will have to run a few tests to see if mixed network bandwidth sharing has improved

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfx2000 View Post
Having a dedicated 802.11g AP when also supporting 802.11n in the same band is not efficient from a channel perspective - be a good neighbor and give them some spectrum - esp in 2.4Ghz (b/g/n space)
By that reasoning, multiple APs should not be used to improve network coverage?
__________________
Tim Higgins
Managing Editor,SmallNetBuilder.com
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-02-2013, 01:00 PM
sfx2000 sfx2000 is offline
Very Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 729
Thanks: 7
Thanked 65 Times in 61 Posts
sfx2000 is just starting out
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiggins View Post
Could you cite a few examples please? This is an 802.11n spec requirement. High link rates are also allowed with NO encryption.
WPA2 or none

What I was really getting at is that I've seen gear out there that all WPA/TKIP in HT mode, along with turning off WMM - both of which are contrary to WiFi alliance recommendations... along with 40MHz only channels in 2.4Ghz
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-02-2013, 01:18 PM
sfx2000 sfx2000 is offline
Very Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 729
Thanks: 7
Thanked 65 Times in 61 Posts
sfx2000 is just starting out
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiggins View Post
I will have to run a few tests to see if mixed network bandwidth sharing has improved


By that reasoning, multiple APs should not be used to improve network coverage?
Every site is different - sometimes single channel plan works, sometimes it's better to offset - office environment is as different as a apartment complex is as a suburban home.

As for me - I've got two AP's - tied together with GIGe as a backhaul - narrow 3stream channels in 2.4GHz on the same channel (mixed B/G/N) and 5Ghz wide channels offset (A/N). All on a common SSID - the dual band gear general finds the right band class for a given location.

One thing I've found, and again it's probably vendor dependent - some AP's do run faster in N-only mode, and some don't - still looking into why this is - gut tells me that in a dense WiFi neighborhood where one might have G and N gear nearby, N-only was 20 percent slower than B/G/N mode with N STA's - counterintuitive I know...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:43 AM.

Top 10 Stats
Top Posters* Top Thanked
RMerlin  412
stevech  154
thelonelycode...  147
L&LD  126
azazel1024  115
KGB7  99
jim769  82
DrTeeth  71
Adamm  64
speedingcheet...  61
RMerlin  4497
stevech  276
ryzhov_al  199
TeHashX  194
RogerSC  166
L&LD  164
joegreat  105
jlake  102
PrivateJoker  93
sinshiva  89
Most Viewed Threads* Hottest Threads*
Old Asuswrt-Merli...  32504
Old Asuswrt-Merli...  27378
Old ASUS...  23128
Old Beta Version...  17592
Old 'Heartbleed'...  14447
Old Linksys...  9834
Old Potential...  7997
Old Asus-Merlin...  7221
Old Groundhog...  6471
Old Linksys...  6205
Old Asuswrt-Merli...  220
Old Asuswrt-Merli...  198
Old Linksys...  149
Old ASUS...  126
Old Beta Version...  112
Old Potential...  98
Old Linksys...  83
Old Groundhog...  49
Old Asus router...  43
Old USB drive...  41



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006-2014 Pudai LLC All Rights Reserved.