SmallNetBuilder Forums
Go Back   SmallNetBuilder Forums > Cloud > General Cloud Discussion

Old 01-06-2013, 11:19 AM

jltech1 is just starting out
Default Do you consider cloud storage like Dropbox, Google Drive, Box, etc a backup solution.

Hi. I'm revamping my backup strategy as the amount of data I need to hold has increased over the last couple of years. In a search for an "off-site" location for my backup, do you consider cloud storage providers such as Dropbox, Google Drive, Box, Skydrive, etc, a viable cloud backup solution where they would contend with more traditional backup services like Crashplan and Mozy Pro?

Thanks for all input.

Jason

Last edited by jltech1; 01-06-2013 at 11:46 AM.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:34 PM
Very Senior Member

stevech is just starting out

No, and yes.
No, not for drive images: ISP upload speeds too slow.
Yes: for critical files if you MUST pay for offsite, rather than just putting such on a USB flash or hard drive and optionally on a NAS too.

And: for financial / sensitive data, encrypt data yourself using winzip or SafeHouse or TruCrypt before storing/uploading.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:37 PM

jltech1 is just starting out

I appreciate the feedback. Thank you.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:02 AM

AncientTech is just starting out

Yes.I use dropbox and box as my backup storage.
I use both to prevent date loss.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:16 PM

JPElectron is just starting out
Default What?

I don't trust any online provider for backup. Too many times the data isn't there when you need it. Also think of how many (more) people now have access to your data (the online provider's employee's, staff, part-time staff, call center staff, outsourced providers, developers, overseas staff, etc.) or how much potential there is for other people (hackers, Anonymous) to gain access, which in time means everyone will have access.

USB hard drives swapped on-site/off-site are way safer. Make an employee responsible for taking a USB hard drive home (or to a safe deposit box) every week, and bringing another one back - the number of hands that "touch" your data is WAY smaller in this case.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:08 AM
Very Senior Member

tipstir is just starting out
Send a message via AIM to tipstir Send a message via Yahoo to tipstir Send a message via Skype™ to tipstir

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPElectron View Post
I don't trust any online provider for backup. Too many times the data isn't there when you need it. Also think of how many (more) people now have access to your data (the online provider's employee's, staff, part-time staff, call center staff, outsourced providers, developers, overseas staff, etc.) or how much potential there is for other people (hackers, Anonymous) to gain access, which in time means everyone will have access.

USB hard drives swapped on-site/off-site are way safer. Make an employee responsible for taking a USB hard drive home (or to a safe deposit box) every week, and bringing another one back - the number of hands that "touch" your data is WAY smaller in this case.
I use BOX.com for my business files. No issues with them. I also have Dropbox but I refer box.com. Backup files use other media devices NAS and SAN. If the internet ever goes down then files access to the cloud files will be NULL.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:59 PM

Chuck2 is just starting out
Default Cloud Availability

Quote:
Originally Posted by jltech1 View Post
Hi. I'm revamping my backup strategy as the amount of data I need to hold has increased over the last couple of years. In a search for an "off-site" location for my backup, do you consider cloud storage providers such as Dropbox, Google Drive, Box, Skydrive, etc, a viable cloud backup solution where they would contend with more traditional backup services like Crashplan and Mozy Pro?

Thanks for all input.

Jason
Please see Gayn Winters Blog:https://gaynwinters.wordpress.com/20...99-availabilit. I like Gayn's bottom line in this blog:"never put all you eggs in one basket. In the era of immature cloud computing, it will be a challenge, and this challenge will be expensive."
Old 03-24-2013, 05:47 PM
Very Senior Member

cloud backup should be backup #3 as off-site, in case of burglary or fire.
YOU NEED TO encrypt using winZip or some such, private financial data, tax returns, etc. Then put the zip file in the cloud. Or the same sheme, using a TruCrypt volume or as I prefer to TruCrypt, is freeware SafeHouse.
DON'T upload sensitive data using the cloud service's transport or storage encryption.

Backup #2 is external disk drive kept out of sight.

backup #1 (for me) is SecondCopy, automatically duplicating last n versions of key folders.

backup #0 is that I put data on my NAS, not my PC, or SecondCopy dupes key folders to the NAS. The NAS also does time backup to volume #2.

Automated because I forget things.
The Following User Says Thank You to stevech For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2013, 05:01 AM

jramskov is just starting out
Default My backup setup

have a Synology NAS that's hidden and not particularly easy to discover or get to (in case a theif should decide visit). I have an USB drive attached to my NAS.

1) My laptop (MBP) runs Time Machine to my NAS.
2) My files (primarily pictures) are stored on my NAS (around 300GB currently).
3) I run daily backup of my Time Machine backup on the NAS -> USB drive.
4) I run daily backup of my files stored on the NAS -> USB drive.
5) I run daily remote backup of my files stored on the NAS -> my brothers Synology NAS (he lives in another nearby city).

Both my brother and I are fortunate enough to have fiber connections so bandwidth for remote backup isn't a problem.

I think it is quite important to have a remote backup solution in place in case your hardware gets stolen or in case of fire or something like that. A thief likely have no interest in your personal photos, but will steal your camera and your IT equipment. I believe many people don't think about that until it's too late.

I do use Gdrive, Dropbox as well, but that's more to also have easy access to certain files.

I don't really have the need currently, but it would be nice to see Crashplan and other such services provide official NAS support.

Last edited by jramskov; 04-18-2013 at 05:14 AM.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:51 PM
Very Senior Member

The only remote backup I've found, other than expensive Amazon AWS, that will permit a share from a NAS to be backed up to their internet (cloud) server, is OpenDrive. That vendor has a troubled history, but I've used their free service for a year or so and it's now stable. They have this odd capability for users (excluding free accounts) to sell files. That does give pause to legalities, DRM, etc.

I thought CrashPlan would accept NAS shares and mapped drives, but no. It will, but peer to peer (have a friend/relative?)

What frustrates me is when a service provider charges a monthly fee but imposes a storage limit cap- in that case, they shouldn't block NASes. I can see that an Unlimited plan has a rationale for blocking NASes. I suppose too that they want to sell n licenses for n PCs in the home.

But in the end, my cable modem, with just 1Mbps upstream (15 down) is too slow to use a cloud.

Of course, be sure to encrypt via your OWN means, sensitive files before uploading to a cloud server. They cannot protect your privacy for many reasons.

Last edited by stevech; 04-18-2013 at 04:54 PM.