SmallNetBuilder Forums
Go Back   SmallNetBuilder Forums > Wireless Networking > ASUS Wireless > ASUS N Routers & Adapters

Old 09-05-2012, 10:14 AM

geko53 is just starting out

Tx for your suggestions - but none of them was successfull, it wasn't possible for me to get rid of that error...

Seems that I will have to go on without using the Padavan firmware
Old 09-08-2012, 07:23 PM

aaronwt is just starting out

Just a quick question. The Custom firmware has worked great with all my devices except my Verizon Femtocell(The official ASUS firmware had the same issue). From what I've read it seems that the Asus routers tend to have an issue with the Verizon Femtocell. Even putting them on a DMZ doesn't help. So I was curious if someone knew anything about this and if there was some setting in the custom firmware to allow it to work?

It's not a big deal for me though since I don't strictly rely on my cell phone anymore, but I was curious if there was something in this firmware that solved the issue.

On another note, I decided that I'm going to return my EA-N66 AP and I have a second RT-N56U on the way that I will use as an AP instead. And that is strictly because of this custom firmware. It is so much better than using the official Asus firmware.(Plus if I ever have an issue with my primary RT-N56U, the second one can easily replace it)

Thanks for the work on it.
Old 09-08-2012, 07:56 PM
Very Senior Member

RogerSC is just starting out

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Just a quick question. The Custom firmware has worked great with all my devices except my Verizon Femtocell(The official ASUS firmware had the same issue). From what I've read it seems that the Asus routers tend to have an issue with the Verizon Femtocell. Even putting them on a DMZ doesn't help. So I was curious if someone knew anything about this and if there was some setting in the custom firmware to allow it to work?
Yes, I had the same problem with my Verizon Network Extender (femtocell) with my rt-n66u, although my rt-n56u has worked fine with it so far. After I flashed the firmware in the rt-n66u the Network Extender wouldn't come up. So I tried port forwarding, dmz, and so on, nothing worked until I found that I needed to clear the nvram in the router after flashing it (and before re-entering my settings, of course *smile*). Since then, the rt-n66u has been 100% with the Network Expander.

To do this, just enable telnet on the router. Use a "putty" terminal window to telent into the router, and log into the router's IP address (for me that's 192.168.1.1, the default) as "admin" user and whatever your "admin" user password is. Then issue these commands:

mtd-erase -d nvram
reboot

It should show that it has cleared the nvram, and then the router will either reboot, or you'll have to manually reboot it. Then you can manually re-enter your settings (don't use a config file with your former settings).

That should do it for you.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerSC View Post
............................ (don't use a config file with your former settings).

Ouch!! I think that rules it out for me. There are too many settings for me to re-enter by hand without taking a long time to do it.

Although guess I can give it a quick try just to see if the Femtocell works. Then I can just load the config file back in. Actually, the perfect time for me to try this will be when my second RT-N56U arrives. Then I can have one connected to my ONT that has the cleared nvram, and I can run the other one off of that temporarily with all my settings.

AT least that will show me for sure if it works. And it would allow me the time to gradually enter the info into the router over several days. Then when I'm finished I can setup the second Rt-N56U as an Access Point. I'll just have to use everything with 2.4Ghz during that time period.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:27 PM

zainday4 is just starting out

If you have a screen recorder program, its easy to just run it, and click on everytab of the gui and let it record all the information, then update your firmware and play the recorded file and enter in all your information that your screen recorder captured....Makes it pretty easy....Just a suggestion, hope it helps...
Old 09-09-2012, 01:41 PM

Zoomer88 is just starting out

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerSC View Post
To do this, just enable telnet on the router. Use a "putty" terminal window to telent into the router, and log into the router's IP address (for me that's 192.168.1.1, the default) as "admin" user and whatever your "admin" user password is. Then issue these commands:

mtd-erase -d nvram
reboot

It should show that it has cleared the nvram, and then the router will either reboot, or you'll have to manually reboot it. Then you can manually re-enter your settings (don't use a config file with your former settings).

That should do it for you.
It is not mandatory to use putty in order to clear NVRAM. 'Restore to factory defaults' actually does absolutely the same thing.

Aaronwt, if you want to check whether this device will work with NVRAM cleared (in other words to check whether any of your settings are preventing the femtocell from working properly) then you should save your current RT-n56 settings into CFG file, do 'restore defaults', and enter the most important settings only (e.g. WAN connection settings) and try it. When you want to return to your previous setup, just restore your settings from the saved CFG file.

Anyways putting a device into DMZ mode is never a good solution. It is better to study the manual, check google and all that stuff to find out what ports the device/software in question needs to be opened. Then you should setup the router's firewall accordingly.

Also, what's the problem exactly with that Femtocell? As I understand from the specifications, it's a simple network extender, am I right? So what's not working? No access to the Internet for the hosts which are being served by this extender? Or the N56U doesn't see it?

Upd: Ok, got some info on it. It's kind of GSM repeater which extends GSM network coverage using Internet connection for that purpose, is that so? If that's so, then I don't quite understand what does it have GPS for? And if that's a simple Wi-Fi enabled device, how could it not work? It doesn't see Internet connection? Is it able to connect to the RT-N56's Wi-Fi network at all? Or should it be connected using ethernet? Does it receive an IP address? Does it have any logs available? Or the only way to check its status is to look at those 4 LEDs mentioned on the Verizon's page?

TBH never seen or heard about such devices. I'm still living in the dark ages :P

Upd2:
There's some info on its setup. Though specific devices might require specific settings I suppose. This should probably be covered in the manual.
http://www.thinksmallcell.com/Opinio...s-gateway.html
Look day 18.

Last edited by Zoomer88; 09-09-2012 at 02:53 PM.
Old 09-09-2012, 02:59 PM
Very Senior Member

RogerSC is just starting out

Yes, the "Network Extender" gets an IP address, and yes it needs GPS. I use an ethernet bridge to supply wired ethernet to it so that I can have it close to the middle of my house. Can't really run a cable there *smile*. There are no "user accessible" logs on the thing that I've found. It is pretty picky about having nvram cleared when firmware is changed, I don't know specifically why...the Verizon tech support guys tell me that it uses a VPN, which makes sense if you think about it. It is kind of a peculiar piece of hardware but works well here for what I need. Kind of ironic that Verizon charges us for service, and on top of that I had to buy a piece of cell infrastructure to get that service...not happy about that, but it works.

What doesn't work when nvram hasn't been cleared (sometimes) after flashing new firmware is that the device doesn't fully come up, that's really all the user can tell. This is usually shown by a flashing red "SYSTEM" light, and the fact that my cell signal strength stays low *smile*. It takes some time to get all it's ducks in a row, getting GPS takes the longest, but we have lots of GPS here so that's not a problem.

Also, if you're flashing new firmware on a router, I've personally learned not to enter my settings via a .cfg file from a previous firmware version. Had some bad results from doing that, so I don't want to waste time with it. On the other hand, the .cfg files are really useful once you have your settings all working for a particular firmware version, and then have a reason to reset your router. Saves a lot of time then.

Last edited by RogerSC; 09-09-2012 at 03:05 PM.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:58 PM

Using my Dlink DGL4500 router I never had any issues with the Verizon Femtocell(Extender). And with the RT-N56U router this was the only device out of 60+ I have on my network that had an issue with the custom firmware.(The official firmware had other issues which was initially why I switched to the custom firmware. And after using it I can't see ever going back to the Asus firmware)

The first thing I did was to open the ports that Verizon recommended for the Femtocell. When that didn't work I tried a DMZ. I had no luck with either. It wouldn't connect to Verizon. Red Lights stayed blinking. Since I don't rely on my cellphone anymore at home it wasn't a priority( I got a land line again when I renewed for two years on FiOS earlier this year. Since adding the phone line and having fours services cost me less than when I had three services, it was a no brainer to get the landline again)

So when my second RT-N56U router arrives I'll try it out again after clearing the NVRAM. I use the windows Snip Tool to take screen shots. This is what I did to record the settings and rules on my DGL4500 router when I first setup my RT-N56U.

Last edited by aaronwt; 09-09-2012 at 06:07 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:48 AM
Very Senior Member

Guz is just starting out
Default Corruptted disks.

One thing that has always bothered me, is that my USB drives get corrupted. Either NTFS or FAT (maybe ext, but I don't use ext very much). So I'm always having to remove the drive from the router, and have to run a check disk.

What I have noticed, is it's consistently caused by minidlna. Specifically the album art cache files minidla creates in the .dms directory. Which in turn sometimes messes up minidla when serving files.

So what I end up doing is telenting into the router, navigate to the AiDisk_** directory, running a "rm .dms -r" (which errors out 100% of the time), removing the drive from the router, connecting it to my local computer, running a chkdsk on the drive which deletes orphan file record segments. Then I can finally delete the .dms directory. Take the drive back to the router, and let minidlna do it's thing. Which in turn works great, till I add new files. Then things get all messed up again.

If I connect a drive, but DON'T turn on minidlna, I can easily manipulate files without an issue. Everything works fine, no corruption.

Weird
Old 09-13-2012, 02:44 PM

zainday4 is just starting out

I also have issues with padavans and minidlna....
It's mainly a problem with my PS3. (this problem is listed in the "issues", but never a responce to the problem, like you stated)
(My PS3 has static ip and all ports forwarded, hardwired.)
When I run stock firmware or asuswrt, my drive shows up everytime on PS3 and plays movies fine without any type of errors.
But whenever I run padavans newer versions, I get constant dlna errors that always pop up, go away, pop up etc...sometimes it won't even show me the drive.
But I've found that if I let the PS3 sit for about 10 minutes, then the minidlna will play movies like it should. But if I turn the PS3 off and back on....I get the errors constantly again or the drive won't appear even if I search for devices.
There is an older version of padavans (RT-N56U_1.0.1.8e-p2) that runs fine and I don't get errors....Maybe try that version just to see if it fixes your problem...(be a good test, if nothing else)
If this was fixed, I would use padavans, but for now, I run asuswrt since it seems the best for consistancy.

Tags
custom firmware, rt-n56u