SmallNetBuilder Forums
Go Back   SmallNetBuilder Forums > Security > General Network Security

Old 04-25-2012, 09:47 PM

foredogg is just starting out
Confused Content Filtering -ZyWall USG series

Hello,

I'm a home user and would appreciate any help. Does anyone know if the ZyWall USG 20 and/or 50 allow you to block websites by just the URLs? I currently use the ZyWall 2Plus and when I setup a content policy to block facebook.com, it also filters the web page content so that a white listed website that has a facebook link will also get blocked.

I've asked ZyXEL support and their response was that the 2Plus can't do what I need but the USG series does. However, when I downloaded the USG 50 user manual, the content filter profile examples look like it only supports a subscription service which I don't want to use. I would like to block social media sites but still allow other sites to display even though they have social media links on their page. I also want the ability to have the filtering controlled by customized schedules and policies for specific users if need like the 2Plus allows.

Can anyone confirm if the USG 20 or 50 does allow you to do URL website blocking and not just by content or allow you to block just the facebook link and not the entire website?

I've been pretty happy with the 2Plus for the 3+ years that I've used it, but now my needs are increasing beyond the 2Plus. Does anyone know if the Netgear UTM 5 can do the above? Or if anyone knows of a better UTM/USG that provides the above needs but does not break the bank would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 04-26-2012, 03:59 AM
Very Senior Member

GregN is just starting out

Quote:
Or if anyone knows of a better UTM/USG that provides the above needs but does not break the bank would be greatly appreciated
I'm not familiar with Zyxel blocking software. I am familiar with SquidGuard a free software package/service which is amazingly complete, blocking with time windows, categorical dynamic lists, redirect, blocking of IP addresses, and on and on.

Have you considered building your own router? pfSense an opensource router distro, and several other distros, run SquidGuard on DIY hardware, which you can probably pull together for a couple hundred dollars, if you don't already have a spare machine.

Take a look at the pfSense IDS Firewall or UTM series here, it is really quite straightforward.

In addition to SquidGuard, it also provides other subscription based security features for free like IDS, Country, Spam and Domain Blocking.

Last edited by GregN; 04-27-2012 at 02:27 AM.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:26 PM

foredogg is just starting out

Thanks Greg, I have not considered building my own router as I don't have a spare machine or may not have the time. I was looking for a plug-n-play router but I'll look into pfSense and SquidGuard to see what they offer. I'd be willing to spend a few hundred if the UTM offers what I need. :-)
Old 04-26-2012, 07:34 PM
Very Senior Member

GregN is just starting out

Just checked, appears to be some pre-built for less than $100 on EBay, and NetGate sells pre-builts for like $200 if you prefer a store front.

ALSO: http://www.pfsense.org/index.php?opt...d=44&Itemid=47

Last edited by GregN; 04-26-2012 at 09:46 PM. Reason: added Also
The Following User Says Thank You to GregN For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2012, 11:38 AM
Very Senior Member

sfx2000 is just starting out

OpenDNS has some interesting blocking/filtering options on paid accounts - might want to check them out.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:36 PM
Very Senior Member

claykin is just starting out

USG series content filtering is designed to be used with a 3rd party subscription to Bluecoat. You can setup individual website filters, but I haven't tested to see if it has the same intelligence as your 2+.

I use OpenDNS for content filtering and IMO its the best low cost option. OpenDNS free will also let you setup inidividual website filters. You can test with your 2+ and see how it works for you.

I agree and am of the opinion that an appliance is far more convenient and usually more robust in the long haul. I'm sure some will disagree, but we're all entitled to our opinions. If you choose to go with a beige box PC and open source firewall, I'll recommend a SSD. Take the mechanical harddisk unreliability out of the equation for improved reliability. Also, a UPS is a must.

Tags
content filter, social media, usg, zywall