SmallNetBuilder Forums
Go Back   SmallNetBuilder Forums > Wireless Networking > Wireless Buying Advice

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-16-2012, 05:36 PM
hmha83 hmha83 is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hmha83 is just starting out
Confused Wireless router advice

Hi;

I need your advice in selecting the suitable wireless router for my house. I have a lot of walls (concrete walls) which block the wireless signal in some rooms. I was told I have to use router with high gain external antenna, now while searching for cost effective router with the high gain external antenna I found the following:
1- Tenda W309R with two 7dBi external anttena
2- Tenda W303R with three 5dBi external antenna

In general, which would be better in terms of signal strength and range?? which one would be suitable for my case??

I really want to avoid using access points or wireless range extenders

kindly advice me

regards
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-16-2012, 09:24 PM
overdrive31 overdrive31 is offline
Very Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 350
Thanks: 0
Thanked 20 Times in 20 Posts
overdrive31 is just starting out
Default

It takes two to tango..the clients need just as much attention to gain any ground so to speak.
__________________
NETGEAR R7000
TEW-652BRP V1.1R F/W DD-WRT
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-16-2012, 10:24 PM
stevech stevech is offline
Very Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: San Diego
Posts: 4,024
Thanks: 1
Thanked 271 Times in 260 Posts
stevech is just starting out
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmha83 View Post
Hi;

I need your advice in selecting the suitable wireless router for my house. I have a lot of walls (concrete walls) which block the wireless signal in some rooms. I was told I have to use router with high gain external antenna, now while searching for cost effective router with the high gain external antenna I found the following:
1- Tenda W309R with two 7dBi external anttena
2- Tenda W303R with three 5dBi external antenna

In general, which would be better in terms of signal strength and range?? which one would be suitable for my case??

I really want to avoid using access points or wireless range extenders

kindly advice me

regards
Negligible difference.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-17-2012, 06:58 AM
hmha83 hmha83 is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hmha83 is just starting out
Default

Thanks for your reply. Just one more clarification, I have checked the tech. specs of each router, and I noticed that the wireless transmit power for W309R was as follows:
B Mode:
1/2/5.5/11Mbps : 19dbm, +0.5dbm/-0.5dbm
g Mode:
6/9Mbps : 16dbm:+0.5dbm/-0.5dbm
12/18Mbps : 15.5dbm:+0.5dbm/-0.5dbm
24/36Mbps : 15dbm:+0.5dbm/-0.5dbm
48/54Mbps : 15dbm:+0.5dbm/-0.5dbm
n Mode:(Single antenna 20/40M)
MCS0/1_:7.2/15, 14.4/30 Mbps:16dbm: +0.5dbm/-0.5dbm
MCS2/3_:21.7/45, 28.9/60 Mbps:15.5dbm: +0.5dbm/-0.5dbm
MCS4/5_:43.3/90, 57.8/120 Mbps :15dbm: +0.5dbm/-0.5dbm
MCS6/7_:65/135, 72.2/150 Mbps :15dbm:+0.5dbm/-0.5dbm

while for W303R the wireless transmit power was as follows:
RMS(no gap);
B mode:
1/2/5.5/11Mbps : 17dbm, +2/-1dbm
G mode:
6/9Mbps  : 17dbm,+2/-1dbm
12/18Mbps : 16dbm,+2/-1dbm
24/36Mbps : 16dbm,+2/-1dbm
48/54Mbps : 15dbm,+2/-1dbm
N mode:(20/40Mmode single antenna)
2.4GHz
MCS0/1_:7.2/15/ 14.4/30 Mbps :17dbm,+2/-1dbm
MCS2/3_:21.7/45/ 28.9/60 Mbps :16dbm,+2/-1dbm
MCS4/5_:43.3/90/ 57.8/120 Mbps :16dbm,+2/-1dbm
MCS6/7_:65/135/ 72.2/150 Mbps :15dbm,+2/-1dbm

It seems to me that W303R (3x5dBi) delivers wireless signal with higher power than W309R (2x7dBi). Is my observation correct??
please advice

regards
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-17-2012, 10:56 AM
stevech stevech is offline
Very Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: San Diego
Posts: 4,024
Thanks: 1
Thanked 271 Times in 260 Posts
stevech is just starting out
Default

Three points

1. 2dB, 5dB, etc. differences need to be taken in view of the end to end attenuation in a 2.4GHz transmission path. That number is on the order of 70, 90 or more dB of loss due to the laws of physics plus walls/floors. So these differences you concentrate on are like 3% or so of the path loss.

2. The consumer WiFi chip sets all have about the same transmitter power, if marketed truthfully. There are a small number of chipset manufacturers selling to the myriad of retail product manufacturers.

3. The client (laptop, etc) device's transmitter power with poor antenna gain is often the weakest link in the bi-directional WiFi link. Antenna gain at the router, when improved by say 6 or 8dBi benefits both directions.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-18-2012, 08:22 AM
hmha83 hmha83 is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hmha83 is just starting out
Default

Thanks Stevech and overdrive31, I have bought Tenda W303R, it is really good, I'm now getting signals in places where I was not getting any signal earlier, now my entire house is covered.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-18-2012, 11:18 PM
stevech stevech is offline
Very Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: San Diego
Posts: 4,024
Thanks: 1
Thanked 271 Times in 260 Posts
stevech is just starting out
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmha83 View Post
Thanks Stevech and overdrive31, I have bought Tenda W303R, it is really good, I'm now getting signals in places where I was not getting any signal earlier, now my entire house is covered.
did you evaluate the client to WiFi direction's speed? The signal strength at the router is often weaker than the signal strength at the client.

In older WiFi, this kind of imbalance led to unreliable operation, esp. with heavy upstream traffic. In some forms of the latest WiFi, the data rate on the two directions can differ dynamically according to the signal strength on each direction.

Point being: noting 3 bars everywhere is half the story.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-20-2012, 05:38 PM
hmha83 hmha83 is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hmha83 is just starting out
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevech View Post
did you evaluate the client to WiFi direction's speed? The signal strength at the router is often weaker than the signal strength at the client.

In older WiFi, this kind of imbalance led to unreliable operation, esp. with heavy upstream traffic. In some forms of the latest WiFi, the data rate on the two directions can differ dynamically according to the signal strength on each direction.

Point being: noting 3 bars everywhere is half the story.
In a matter of fact no, I did do so. My main concern was to get signal at the far end of my house, now I'm getting it. Could you guide me how to do the client to WiFi direction's speed evaluation??
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:04 PM.

Top 10 Stats
Top Posters* Top Thanked
RMerlin  346
thelonelycode...  167
stevech  153
L&LD  129
azazel1024  115
KGB7  73
Adamm  71
jim769  65
speedingcheet...  59
sm00thpapa  57
RMerlin  4438
stevech  271
ryzhov_al  199
TeHashX  193
RogerSC  165
L&LD  163
joegreat  104
jlake  100
PrivateJoker  93
sinshiva  87
Most Viewed Threads* Hottest Threads*
Old Asuswrt-Merli...  28960
Old ASUS...  19020
Old Beta Version...  17232
Old 'Heartbleed'...  13340
Old Potential...  7674
Old Linksys...  7239
Old Asus-Merlin...  6517
Old Groundhog...  6154
Old Linksys...  4610
Old Asuswrt-Merli...  3847
Old Asuswrt-Merli...  214
Old Linksys...  134
Old Beta Version...  112
Old ASUS...  110
Old Potential...  98
Old Linksys...  61
Old Groundhog...  49
Old Asuswrt-Merli...  48
Old Asus router...  43
Old New Home...  38



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006-2014 Pudai LLC All Rights Reserved.