SmallNetBuilder Forums
Go Back   SmallNetBuilder Forums > Multimedia & VoIP > General Multimedia & VoIP Discussion

Old 03-29-2012, 06:29 AM

pbmpharmacist is just starting out
Question Noob Needs Help Streaming Blu-rays (Network too Slow)

Hieveryone,

Like the title says, I need help with figuring out way my network is too slow for streaming blu-rays or 1080p video (standard Def and even 720p video seems more or less OK). I recently added powerline adapters so that I could finally have an Internet connection in my basement where all of my Home Theater equipment is.

Here is my setup:

Cable modem - Dlink DIR-655 Wireless Router - Sandy Bridge Desktop PC (windows 7)

Cable modem - Dlink DIR-655 Wireless Router - ZyXEL PLA4215 500Mbps Powerline Adapters - Sandy Bride Laptop (in basement, windows 7)

My Speedtest results are virtually the same from either the desktop or the laptop, 16 Mbps download and 3.5Mbps upload. I ran LAN Speed Test with a 1 GB file and the result was 29 Mbit/s, which is apparently too slow for a blu-ray.

How do I speed things up? Is there anything I can do/tweak? Do I need to replace any components? Any help is appreciated as I'm not sure what to do. Thank you!
Old 03-29-2012, 04:39 PM
Very Senior Member

overdrive31 is just starting out

Powerline networking products have a lot of speed variation when 1080p streams need almost constant ~40Mbps. If you have coax cable running to the theater equipment, you might want to try a MoCA product instead, it typically has a more consistent speed to support 1080p streams or just break down and run some cat 5... it's cheap.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overdrive31 View Post
Powerline networking products have a lot of speed variation when 1080p streams need almost constant ~40Mbps. If you have coax cable running to the theater equipment, you might want to try a MoCA product instead, it typically has a more consistent speed to support 1080p streams or just break down and run some cat 5... it's cheap.
Thank you for the reply. I agree, I was looking at MoCA today at work. I find it hard to believe that it can coexist with HD cable TV but I'm thinking it over. It's becoming increasingly obvious that for Powerline and MoCA you need a good return policy as you never know what you are going to get in your own house. Luckily I bought my PLAs from Amazon so I'm good.

I'm going to try some different outlets and combinations and run NetStress and if I still can't figure it out then I'll return my PLAs and try MoCA.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:25 PM

ikecomp is just starting out

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmpharmacist View Post
Thank you for the reply. I agree, I was looking at MoCA today at work. I find it hard to believe that it can coexist with HD cable TV but I'm thinking it over. It's becoming increasingly obvious that for Powerline and MoCA you need a good return policy as you never know what you are going to get in your own house. Luckily I bought my PLAs from Amazon so I'm good.

I'm going to try some different outlets and combinations and run NetStress and if I still can't figure it out then I'll return my PLAs and try MoCA.
MoCA is a good option. I used it for a while with great results before I switched over to satellite (I needs my football) but after switching to satellite I could no longer use MoCA as the satellite and cable signals can not coexist on the same lines. So as long as you have only cable, MoCA should work. Emphasis on should
The Following User Says Thank You to ikecomp For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2012, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikecomp View Post
MoCA is a good option. I used it for a while with great results before I switched over to satellite (I needs my football) but after switching to satellite I could no longer use MoCA as the satellite and cable signals can not coexist on the same lines. So as long as you have only cable, MoCA should work. Emphasis on should
I still haven't gotten around to dealing with this (other than returning the powerline adapters). But when I buy MoCA adapters, I'll buy from Amazon so that I have the option of returning them.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:09 PM

ikecomp is just starting out

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmpharmacist View Post
I still haven't gotten around to dealing with this (other than returning the powerline adapters). But when I buy MoCA adapters, I'll buy from Amazon so that I have the option of returning them.
Yep, you should know fairly quickly if they will work or not. however, you should make sure that the coaxial cables you're hooking the adapters up to are active. Although you would assume if they're in your walls they must be working, this isn't always the case so test using different locations. Once hooked up you should see at least 100 megabits reliable bandwidth.

Although amazon doesn't sell it directly anymore I used these

http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-MCAB10...6514878&sr=1-1
The Following User Says Thank You to ikecomp For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2012, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikecomp View Post
Yep, you should know fairly quickly if they will work or not. however, you should make sure that the coaxial cables you're hooking the adapters up to are active. Although you would assume if they're in your walls they must be working, this isn't always the case so test using different locations. Once hooked up you should see at least 100 megabits reliable bandwidth.

Although amazon doesn't sell it directly anymore I used these

http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-MCAB10...6514878&sr=1-1
I'd be really happy with 100 megabits! I was getting like 24 to 26 max with powerline adapters and that didn't cut it for HD videos.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:06 AM
Very Senior Member

stevech is just starting out

1080p (not 1080i) really needs cat5, cat6, to get the speed and jitter/latency that 1080p requires. 1080p (such as Blueray) is a lot more data volume than 1080i.

My MoCA is 70Mbps at the IP layer inclusive of all overhead.
Probably would do for 1080p; is fine for 1080i.
HPNA /powerline, not good enough.