PDA

View Full Version : External Antenna for RT-N66U

robgold
02-28-2012, 09:36 PM
I have the RT-N66U and it is working well, except I am having trouble getting a good signal on the 2.4ghz band (probably due to interference). After trying various router settings, router placement and different channels without success, I have decided to try using a high gain replacement antenna. I have found a few dual band antennas, including the Asus WL-ANT157 and the Asus WL-ANT168, but I can't tell if they are fully compatible with the RT-N66U. Am I safe in assuming that they will fully work with 802.11a/b/g/n as long as they transmit at the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz frequencies, or do I need to check any other specs. One reason I am confused is that some dual band antennas I found online say they work with 802.11a/b/g but do not mention 802.11n, which suggests they will not transmit 802.11n signals. Any advice would be appreciated.

NightOwl326
02-28-2012, 10:51 PM
I have the RT-N66U and it is working well, except I am having trouble getting a good signal on the 2.4ghz band (probably due to interference). After trying various router settings, router placement and different channels without success, I have decided to try using a high gain replacement antenna. I have found a few dual band antennas, including the Asus WL-ANT157 and the Asus WL-ANT168, but I can't tell if they are fully compatible with the RT-N66U. Am I safe in assuming that they will fully work with 802.11a/b/g/n as long as they transmit at the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz frequencies, or do I need to check any other specs. One reason I am confused is that some dual band antennas I found online say they work with 802.11a/b/g but do not mention 802.11n, which suggests they will not transmit 802.11n signals. Any advice would be appreciated.

High gain antennas will not be the answer, as the added gain is never enough to solve the problem. An extra couple of dB gain will not make a measurable difference, and most the aftermarket antennas are cheap china made products that only state gain that has never been tested. Plus you have the signal loss of the coax cable connecting the antenna to the router, and you may end up with less signal rather than more. Save your money (since you will need 3 antennas) and add an wireless access point to cover the weakest signal area of your home.

tonytoronto
02-28-2012, 11:17 PM
what firmware version you using?
I've been similar situation to yours, in my case adding 2 powerline adapters and cheap rosewill router setup as an AP worked wonders. I tried a few range extenders, didn't work well in my case. Since getting the Asus 66u, the rosewill router no longer needed it, but still need to use the the powerline adapter to stream HD to Media Box.

NightOwl326
02-28-2012, 11:24 PM
I've been similar situation to yours, in my case adding 2 powerline adapters and cheap rosewill router setup as an AP worked wonders.

Exactly the answer....

TC777
02-29-2012, 12:04 AM
I don't know if it would help or not, but the review by Asus of their rt-n66u router, on YouTube, he shows a large antenna you can use with the router.(around 16 minutes into the video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYCnyOb5O4c

somms
02-29-2012, 12:37 AM
I don't know if it would help or not, but the review by Asus of their rt-n66u router, on YouTube, he shows a large antenna you can use with the router.(around 16 minutes into the video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYCnyOb5O4c

Nice catch!

http://www.asus.com/websites/global/products/hdUmBVZ6hhtRkdJX/P_500.jpg

Linked above the antenna you saw used in the clip...its a monster and would much improve the range/speed for this wireless router over the stock antenna!;)

NightOwl326
02-29-2012, 12:46 AM
its a monster and would much improve the range/speed for this wireless router over the stock antenna!;)

Not!

Sounds good if you don't understand "coax cable signal loss at microwave frequencies". Asus does not use the lowest loss coax possible on an antenna that retails for $23.00.

But heck, try it, it is only money. Don't forget you need 3 ($68.40) if you even hope to see gains. You will be disappointed though, and it will be one butt ugly setup....

njweb
02-29-2012, 07:22 AM

Make sure you're not using firmware xxxxx96 since there were reported issues with weaker power than prior versions, which have been addressed in xxxxxx102.

Regarding interference, I would suggest inspecting your setup and environment in case you have cordless phones interfering.
DECT 6.0 phones (1.9 GHz) are your best bet to avoid interference.

Asus has suggested higher TX levels may or may not help.
Looking through their e-mail response which I received while in the doctor's office and just re-read now, they suggested 80mw or 120mW has worked for users (someone else posted in the other thread today in fact). They also noted that heat will go up (as we already knew).
That being said, they have not come out and officially stated what is or isn't safe...

I find it interesting, given this, that they allow users, in the stock firmware no less, to go up to 500mW. (I am certainly not for companies limiting us where not needed, but IF a level is dangerous, one would expect they would not allow users to set it dangerously high (especially without any warning on the admin screen). One could assume 500mW is safe (I honestly don't know).
I have read reports of extended use at 250mW or above for some router types (however, and I stated this at the time, EACH router design (software and hardware - including amps etc.) is different, so what may work safely for one router for years may be unsafe for another.
Until they come out and officially say what they consider safe, adjust at your own risk.

A number of users report using 80mW or even, in some cases, 120mW (or above).
Whether this is safe or not though is another question that has not been answered by Asus.
Heat measurements might provide some clue, BUT who knows how hot INTERNAL components are getting (which can't be sensed from the case of the unit)...

Edit (after upgrading to firmware 102). The default TX power in 102 is now 80mW on both bands!
40mW seemed low to begin with (as I posted right after it was released) given that Linksys uses 100mW in the E4200 etc.

NightOwl326
02-29-2012, 08:04 AM
Did you try bumping the router's TX power to 80mW or 120mW yet?
T

Are you guaranteeing that 120mW is safe for this hardware, since I have not read about anyone who is running at that level? Have you ran this level for any significant time, and have used your own router as the beta test for hardware failure?

tonytoronto
02-29-2012, 09:47 AM
Are you guaranteeing that 120mW is safe for this hardware, since I have not read about anyone who is running at that level? Have you ran this level for any significant time, and have used your own router as the beta test for hardware failure?

U have 2 year warranty :-)

robgold
02-29-2012, 09:53 AM
Thanks for all the helpful responses and suggestions.

I may try getting an Access Point, but I would really prefer a simpler solution if possible. The antenna in the YouTube video posted above looks cool, but I think it is the WL-ANT-191, which is only a single band 2.4 Ghz, so my 5 Ghz signal may suffer if I use it. I think I will try the Asus WL-ANT157, which is a dual band high gain directional antenna. My router is in a closet, so I don't really care much how it looks as long as it does the job. I will report back and let everyone know if that setup works.

NightOwl326
02-29-2012, 10:12 AM
Thanks for all the helpful responses and suggestions.

I think I will try the Asus WL-ANT157, which is a dual band high gain directional antenna.

Same gain as what you are taking off.

robgold
02-29-2012, 10:18 AM

True, but it is directional, so I'm hoping that may help.

NightOwl326
02-29-2012, 10:31 AM
True, but it is directional, so I'm hoping that may help.

rt-n66u uses BEAM FORMING which does create directional signal patterns to the clients. One of these directional antennas with beam forming may do more harm than good.

darksamus
02-29-2012, 10:54 AM
rt-n66u uses BEAM FORMING which does create directional signal patterns to the clients. One of these directional antennas with beam forming may do more harm than good.

Is this beam forming being done in software or is there a chip inside the router that does it? The reason I ask is because I get good range using both stock and tomatoUSB fimware.

TonyH
02-29-2012, 11:06 AM
Not!

Sounds good if you don't understand "coax cable signal loss at microwave frequencies". Asus does not use the lowest loss coax possible on an antenna that retails for $23.00.

But heck, try it, it is only money. Don't forget you need 3 ($68.40) if you even hope to see gains. You will be disappointed though, and it will be one butt ugly setup....

Hmm,
Gain? What about SWR? I mean how well the antenna matches to the radio?
Every connector incurs loss, bad coax increases loss, mismatch does same(worst case it'll damage the radio) I'll be careful looking at so called high gain antennas.

TonyH
02-29-2012, 11:15 AM

Hi,
I am on latest Shibby's f/w, in there, says max power is 400mW. When I tried 80mw on both radios 2.4GHz one went crazy(unstable). I set both at 70mW
and it is working well.. No overheating or anything like that. First sign of too much power level is increased heat. My router is just luke warm to touch.

NightOwl326
02-29-2012, 11:46 AM
U have 2 year warranty :-)

And you will get a refurb for your trouble....

njweb
02-29-2012, 07:07 PM

I am not an Asus engineer and until THEY provide a(n official) response that says what is safe (see my updates in my other post which include comments they made in an e-mail i have received), nobody here can guarantee anything, especially since some components may get hot inside the router that won't always be (at least not fully) evident from touching the case.

80mW or 120mW is typically nothing unusual in other routers, but since this is a new deisgn we can NOT compare it (on an apples to apples basis) to, for example, at least one other firm's router design (running Tomato on a WRT54GL) that easily worked fine with 250mW (or more) for years in Europe - as per the link I posted last time.
http://tomatousb.org/tut:increasing-wrt54g-transmit-power

Regardless, Asus also should be responsible and limit the maximum calue to what is safe and not just go by the FCC limit, assuming 500mW (whiuch the current firmware allows) is unsafe (something which, again, I am not qualified to answer).
Again, the RT-N66U design is different and I do NOT claim to be an expert.
I will wait for Asus, or a qualified expert, to tell us.

As someone noted, for those who do experiment, there is a warranty for 2 years.
Refurb is not an issue IMHO since the refurb (if it is a true 'refurb' and not used) will be newer than the unit you're sending in.
I am not advocating any levels since I don't want someone to come crying to me.

For my needs (my home and my wifi adapters), if firmware xxxxxx102 is as good as 90 again, I won't need to bump the level at all.
The OP has issues when using it with the 40mW setting (not sure how large his place is or the environment and construction / design of the living space he is in. This is where TX power levels could help (or at least rule out the power level as an issue before buying an antenna that may do nothing).

All that being said, if everyone is supposed to keep it at 40mW to be safe, then why even have an adjustment (not even talking about 500mW, just talking about 80mW e.g.).

Once again, Asus did not provide a clear answer yet. I may reply to the
e-mail I got an push (again) for a safe level.

If I find 40mW in xxxx102 is not enough, I will experiment with bumping it and be happy to share my experiences here for others to draw on.

Keep in mind also that individual router usage (i.e. CPU usage), from user A to user B e.g., can also have an impact on temperatures to a certain extent. However if neither user A nor user B is taxing it with heavy loads, it should not be a significant factor from one user to another.

Again, adjust at your risk as I said a few weeks ago...

PS: Hopefully Asus did some testing at design time and took temperature measurements (they switched frrm a fan to a large heatsink - which limits hardware failures due to fans breaking down), so they presumably took measurements along the way.
Maybe they can use this to provide guidance. After all, they offer the feature in the stock firmware.

EDIT: The DEFAULT power in Asus firmware 102 is now displayed as 80mW in both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz.
I guess this is the optimal value the router is tuned to by default that they referred to in their e-mail...

NightOwl326
02-29-2012, 11:11 PM
I am not an Asus engineer and until THEY provide a(n official) response that says what is safe.

That is the point, your NOT an Asus engineer, and I have read your posts. You have not ran yours at 120mW, so don't advise others to due what you are unwilling to do yourself. You have only ran 40mW and 80mW. If you are willing to test long term 120mW with your hardware, have at it and then advise others that it is safe, or unsafe when yours burns up.

tonytoronto
02-29-2012, 11:27 PM
That is the point, your NOT an Asus engineer, and I have read your posts. You have not ran yours at 120mW, so don't advise others to due what you are unwilling to do yourself. You have only ran 40mW and 80mW. If you are willing to test long term 120mW with your hardware, have at it and then advise others that it is safe or unsafe when yours burns up.
I did have mine at 120mw, i cannot tell you what will do the router, but i can tell you wireless became unstable and provides worst signal (inSSIDer) and lower file transfer rate. 80mw seems to be sweet spot for the router, from my experiences with it. If they allow provision for the router to operate at 500mw they must have tested it at those limits, otherwise wouldn't be there.

NightOwl326
03-01-2012, 12:52 AM
I did have mine at 120mw, i cannot tell you what will do the router, but i can tell you wireless became unstable and provides worst signal (inSSIDer) and lower file transfer rate. 80mw seems to be sweet spot for the router, from my experiences with it. If they allow provision for the router to operate at 500mw they must have tested it at those limits, otherwise wouldn't be there.

You are correct (and thank you), but as you stated 120mW does cause instability, which tells you the RF amps do not want to run that way and the signal is getting dirty.

Never forget marketing when it comes to any product. There are purchasers who will not be happy unless they believe that 500mW is a possible number.

That does not mean it will work, it is right, or the hardware can take it for long. But, boy oh boy, some buyers can brag that their router can do 500mW and post endless signal strength readings. Kind of the little guy, big truck scenario. You know, the highest lifted truck, with 36" tires, and out crawls a guy 5 foot 2".

This is not high school, chicks are not drawn to high power routers.

davethebossman
03-02-2012, 01:19 AM
So in regard to higher gain, have we come to the conclusion that we CANNOT find better-than-stock antennas? If powerline + AP is the best option, then so be it. But until then, i'm still willing to look around for crazy antenna gain.

Someone suggested this brand in a different thread. Could someone else cruise through these antenna models and comment on any of the larger antennas being suitable for the n66u?

http://www.alfa.com.tw/in/front/bin/ptlist.phtml?Category=106129

Thanks guys (and gals?)

David H

njweb
03-02-2012, 05:29 PM
So in regard to higher gain, have we come to the conclusion that we CANNOT find better-than-stock antennas? If powerline + AP is the best option, then so be it. But until then, i'm still willing to look around for crazy antenna gain.

Someone suggested this brand in a different thread. Could someone else cruise through these antenna models and comment on any of the larger antennas being suitable for the n66u?

http://www.alfa.com.tw/in/front/bin/ptlist.phtml?Category=106129

Thanks guys (and gals?)

David H

It will be hard to find suitable replacement antennae, as I think someone else already noted.
1) This router uses dual band external antennae which are harder to come by than 2.4 GHz only models.
2) Any good quality antenna with significant gain (can't go by some models that may be less expensive but may also have inflated dB ratings) would cost a lot, especially since you would need 3 matched replacement antennae, and not just one, to get the full benefit for 3 stream.

Of the Alfa section you linked to, only one (page 2 on my view) is dual band.
http://www.alfa.com.tw/in/front/bin/ptdetail.phtml?Part=APA-M03&Category=106129
I am not sure the gain listed in the specs is enough (relative to the stock antennae on the 66U) or not to make a noticeable enough difference (depending on your specific needs).

jerryk
03-03-2012, 08:46 AM
I used the wired + access point method with great success. In my case I use cable TV as the WAN link (Comcast) and as the wiring (via MOCA) between the routers. The remote access point is my old WNDR 3700.

robgold
03-03-2012, 12:31 PM
I promised I would report back after trying out an external antenna, so here goes. I bought 3 Asus WL-ANT157 antennas, which are dual band and directional antennas. They are pretty small and attached directly to the antenna jacks on the back of the NR-66U. I'm very pleased with the results. My 5.8 Ghz signal is even stronger now, but more importantly my 2.4 Ghz signal strength and speed has doubled. It seems that external antennas can improve signals and speed, at least in my situation. Thanks again for everyone's advice and comments.

tonytoronto
03-03-2012, 12:41 PM
Robgold, could you post a picture how it looks like with those antennas?
thanks

robgold
03-03-2012, 12:43 PM
No problem, but running out soon, so I'll try to post this afternoon when I get home.

robgold
03-03-2012, 04:46 PM
Here is a photo of the RT-N66U with the WL-ANT157 antennas. This is not the spot where I normally keep the router, but its normal location makes it very hard to photograph. Also, the antennas are normally rotated with the "Asus" label facing the back of the router, but I rotated them so you can see them with the label.

darksamus
03-03-2012, 05:44 PM
Here is a photo of the RT-N66U with the WL-ANT157 antennas. This is not the spot where I normally keep the router, but its normal location makes it very hard to photograph. Also, the antennas are normally rotated with the "Asus" label facing the back of the router, but I rotated them so you can see them with the label.

How much are they?

RogerSC
03-03-2012, 06:15 PM
The lowest price I could find was $24.64 each at Amazon when I looked earlier this morning.

tonytoronto
03-04-2012, 12:03 AM
Those look bad a$$!! Wonder if only one of them would help...

TonyH
03-04-2012, 11:59 AM

In my case careful tweaking of stock antenna position can make a 10dbm difference in signal level. I am watching the level in our family room where home theater is located. After spending some time with antenna positions, swieveling, bending various ways I found one which adds 10 more dbm. 2,4GHz is typically 10dbm higher than 5GHz band. Now 5GHz band shows steady ~50dbm and 2.4GHz ~40dbm. I got hold of a set of 7DBi dual band antenna and tried it. Not much different from stock ones. Legal limit of power here is 500mW I think. So I'd think they will handle upto that level. Better find a spec. data sheet of those amp. chips. I never ran more than 100mW and with Shibby's Tomato when I set the power to 80mW, 2.4GHz radio went crazy(quite unstable; signal stuttering). I know my Ubiquiti PowerAP N can handle 1000mW giving wider coverage.

jerry6
03-04-2012, 01:00 PM

They look like the middle antenna from my wrt 600 linksys , if I replace the middle antenna with one of those will it help the 5ghz band , or do I have to replace all ? 2.4 is fine , 5 ghz needs a bit of help

Raptor
03-09-2012, 02:40 PM
The RT-N66U is a Dual Band Router. You need to use Dual Band Antenna's.
Have a look at these:
http://www.l-com.com/item.aspx?id=21679

darksamus
03-09-2012, 02:49 PM
Have a look at these:

robgold posted is dual band. Search Asus WL-ANT157.

Raptor
03-09-2012, 03:12 PM
robgold posted is dual band. Search Asus WL-ANT157.

I've looked at the WL-ANT157 antenna before but it is a directional style antenna. This is more for special applications. Most users need omni directional antenna's that give fuller coverage. The RT-N66U come from the factory with omni style antenna's.

darksamus
03-09-2012, 03:16 PM
I've looked at the WL-ANT157 antenna before but it is a directional style antenna. This is more for special applications. Most users need omni directional antenna's that give fuller coverage. The RT-N66U come from the factory with omni style antenna's.

You said "You need to use Dual Band Antenna's." You did not mention directional or omni directional.

robgold
03-10-2012, 11:05 AM

Yes, the WL-ANT157 is not necessarily going to help if the router is in the center of your home because it focuses the signal in just one direction. In my case, the router is placed at the far end of my apartment so it has helped significantly, but it very much depends on your own setup and could conceivably make things worse.

RogerSC
03-10-2012, 01:29 PM
Tempting for me...my router is all the way in the back of my house, and is now pointing towards the front. My house is deeper than it is wide by a factor of about 2. So these directional antennas would focus more of the signal where I want it to go anyways.

Just need to decide if the extra $'s are worth the signal gain. My 2.4GHz. coverage is okay at the front of my house now. Might help for 5GHz., though, but I'm not using it much at present. Using an AP in the front of my house might be a better idea for 5GHz. anyways, if and when I need it.

rm2000
03-16-2012, 03:19 PM
Hi, has anyone tried using three ASUS WL-ANT-191 with the RT-N66U? I only need a small increase in range to be able to cover all my house, but would rather not use a range extender and cannot use the directional antennas. Thanks in advance.

RogerSC
03-16-2012, 03:58 PM
The ASUS WL-ANT-191 is only a single band, 2.4GHz. antenna. I wouldn't use this on a dual-band router.

njweb
03-16-2012, 06:38 PM

Thanks! This is something we need to factor into any decision when looking into getting an antenna.
Asus notes this is directional, but it bears noting this so that anyone considering this antenna knows what they are getting.
as someone pointed out, directional anteannae will help in some situations and hurt in others, so it all depends on the user's wifi environment (router and client relative placement) and needs.

gehx
05-04-2012, 06:26 PM
Have a look at these:

has anyone used these antenna's with this router? if so, how did/are they working for you?

IsLNdbOi
06-24-2012, 04:36 PM
robgold or anyone else w/ experience using WL-ANT-157 antennas w/ the 66u; My home has a networking closet near the front of the house on the second floor. The 66u is in this networking closet. I need the 5GHz and 2.4GHz signals to reach the back yard on the other end of the house (which of course is on the first floor). If I replace my 66u's three antennas each with a WL-ANT-157, will I get that reach I need? Will a laptop (using a 5GHz card) in the same room, but on the opposite side from the 66u still get signal from the 66u with WL-ANT-157s?

AnthonyArmato
06-24-2012, 05:58 PM
Well, you didn't tell us how much further you need coverage for starters. Secondly you're going to spend $75 on three antennas ?

IsLNdbOi
06-24-2012, 06:37 PM
From the network closet in the front to the back yard, the signal has to go around 100ft. through a couple of walls and floor of the second floor / ceiling of the first floor.

It's my money. I can spend it how I want to. I get a discount on them anyway.

AnthonyArmato
06-24-2012, 07:40 PM
So get defensive because I commented about the money spent on antennas ? Nice.

My point is that there are cheaper ways to extend coverage and if it's only 100ft your router should cover that to begin with. You may need to adjust some settings to see what you come up with.

Those antennas likely won't give you much extra coverage.

IsLNdbOi
06-24-2012, 08:40 PM
So get defensive because I commented about the money spent on antennas ? Nice.

My point is that there are cheaper ways to extend coverage and if it's only 100ft your router should cover that to begin with. You may need to adjust some settings to see what you come up with.

Those antennas likely won't give you much extra coverage.

Sorry if I sounded "defensive". One of my biggest peeves is when I ask a question about hardware and someone responds talking to me about money.

Thanks though, I know you were just trying to be helpful.

I guess I'll try it first w/ the stock antennas or maybe just wait the week or two until the AC66U is available.

Regarding the coverage those antennas provide, robgold would beg to differ. My setup is similar to his.

psychosb
08-17-2012, 10:36 AM
Sorry to bring the topic back, but I cannot find this information anywhere.

My friend gave me this router, but he *lost* the original antennas.

I'm trying to find them to buy, but I'm having a hard time to find simple dual-band antennas (like the originals) to this router.

Can anyone find where I can buy them? Or if any user want to sell the unused antennas, please tell me.

Thanks

Raptor
08-17-2012, 11:14 AM
Sorry to bring the topic back, but I cannot find this information anywhere.

My friend gave me this router, but he *lost* the original antennas.

I'm trying to find them to buy, but I'm having a hard time to find simple dual-band antennas (like the originals) to this router.

Can anyone find where I can buy them? Or if any user want to sell the unused antennas, please tell me.

Thanks

These antennas will work but they are not cheap. Dual Band

psychosb
08-17-2012, 12:30 PM

Thanks for the quick reply!

Those are not cheap, but I think that I'll have to buy them.

I also found this product on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Dual-Band-2-4-5-8Ghz-7dBi-RP-SMA-High-Gain-Antenna-/140727221513?clk_rvr_id=376475677899&mfe=sidebar

But it's so cheap, I'm not sure if those are really dual-band. :rolleyes:

Raptor
08-17-2012, 12:47 PM
Thanks for the quick reply!

Those are not cheap, but I think that I'll have to buy them.

I also found this product on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Dual-Band-2-4-5-8Ghz-7dBi-RP-SMA-High-Gain-Antenna-/140727221513?clk_rvr_id=376475677899&mfe=sidebar

But it's so cheap, I'm not sure if those are really dual-band. :rolleyes:

Wow those are cheap. The factory ones are 2dBi dual band. The guy on ebay has 2 dBi ones listed too. http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Dual-Band-2-4-5-8Ghz-2dBi-RP-SMA-Antenna-for-Wireless-LAN-Router-/140731883767?pt=US_Networking_Boosters_Extenders_A ntennas&hash=item20c44620f7#ht_7505wt_1397
Might be worth a try to see if they work. Only $2.99 ea.

psychosb
08-17-2012, 12:53 PM
Wow those are cheap. The factory ones are 2dBi dual band. The guy on ebay has 2 dBi ones listed too. http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Dual-Band-2-4-5-8Ghz-2dBi-RP-SMA-Antenna-for-Wireless-LAN-Router-/140731883767?pt=US_Networking_Boosters_Extenders_A ntennas&hash=item20c44620f7#ht_7505wt_1397
Might be worth a try to see if they work. Only $2.99 ea.

Nice!

I'm just wondering, how can I can make sure that they're really dual-band?

There's some kind of test? I've never used a dual-band router.

Thanks!

Synomenon
08-18-2012, 11:54 PM
OxfordTEC has the same antenna for $9.95 each.

http://www.oxfordtec.com/us/wireless-antennae-aerials-cables-and-accessories/external-reversed-sma/indoor-router-ap-client-pci-card-aerial-antenna-high-sensitivity-dual-band-5dbi-swivel-design-with-r-sma-female-termination-plug-connector.html

Got three to replace the stock N66U antennas. Saw a slight increase in range. I get a usable 5GHz signal now in my back yard vs. none w/ the stock antennas.

psychosb
08-20-2012, 07:34 AM

http://www.oxfordtec.com/us/wireless-antennae-aerials-cables-and-accessories/external-reversed-sma/indoor-router-ap-client-pci-card-aerial-antenna-high-sensitivity-dual-band-5dbi-swivel-design-with-r-sma-female-termination-plug-connector.html

Got three to replace the stock N66U antennas. Saw a slight increase in range. I get a usable 5GHz signal now in my back yard vs. none w/ the stock antennas.

Nice! I'm getting 3 of those!

Thanks! :D

WJKramer
08-21-2012, 09:52 AM
+1

Wife thinks it looks ugly on the shelf now! :D

WJKramer
08-23-2012, 06:52 PM

Installed....I don't see and range increase but throughput seems to have a slight increase. Couldn't loose for $30.

ArCan
08-27-2012, 01:51 AM
Installed....I don't see and range increase but throughput seems to have a slight increase. Couldn't loose for $30.
But stock antennas has same 5 dbi I think... why are you going to find big difference?
I have bought three http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Dual-Band-2-4-5-8Ghz-9dBi-RP-SMA-High-Gain-Antenna-/130729553117
(now it's no longer available) waitting for delivery in couple of days.
I hope antennas will works in two bands with good SWR.
But I'm sure that I will need to expirimentaly find right channel with the best lever of signal
Unfortunately I don't have equipment for so high frquency to mesure resonance and SWR...

2.4 and 5.8 (!) it's mean last channels in 5GHz band...

ArCan
08-27-2012, 02:07 AM

My opinion you have 5GHz now only because did other position of antennas.
Stock antennas has also 5dbi.

Raptor
08-27-2012, 08:30 AM
My opinion you have 5GHz now only because did other position of antennas.
Stock antennas has also 5dbi.

Hi ArCan. The stock RT-N66U antennas are 2dBi in both 2.4G and 5G. Its in Asus FCC documents.
Link: [https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout=500&calledFromFrame=N&application_id=975566&fcc_id='MSQ-RTN66U'
Click test report rev, Page 5

ArCan
08-27-2012, 09:14 AM
Hi ArCan. The stock RT-N66U antennas are 2dBi in both 2.4G and 5G. Its in Asus FCC documents.
Link: [https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout=500&calledFromFrame=N&application_id=975566&fcc_id='MSQ-RTN66U'
Click test report rev, Page 5

Oh! Sorry my mistake. I didn't know it.
I always think that 5 because somewhere read about it.
Thank you very much for correction.

WilliamY
08-27-2012, 12:04 PM
But stock antennas has same 5 dbi I think... why are you going to find big difference?
I have bought three http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Dual-Band-2-4-5-8Ghz-9dBi-RP-SMA-High-Gain-Antenna-/130729553117
(now it's no longer available) waitting for delivery in couple of days.
I hope antennas will works in two bands with good SWR.
But I'm sure that I will need to expirimentaly find right channel with the best lever of signal
Unfortunately I don't have equipment for so high frquency to mesure resonance and SWR...

2.4 and 5.8 (!) it's mean last channels in 5GHz band...

Hi, ArCan

Please let us know how this antenna performs.

Thanks

William

darksamus
08-27-2012, 02:45 PM
Hi, ArCan

Thanks

William

I ordered those 9db antenna as well. They will arrive this week.

RogerSC
08-27-2012, 05:24 PM
I ordered those 9db antenna as well. They will arrive this week.

You may or may not be aware of this, but as you increase the gain of an antenna, the signal will actually go down in some areas while increasing in others. This may be what you're looking for, but you will not get a signal increase everywhere, only where the directionality is. On the other hand, the signal will decrease elsewhere.

darksamus
08-28-2012, 06:05 PM
You may or may not be aware of this, but as you increase the gain of an antenna, the signal will actually go down in some areas while increasing in others. This may be what you're looking for, but you will not get a signal increase everywhere, only where the directionality is. On the other hand, the signal will decrease elsewhere.

Just install my 9db antenna and inssider shows the signal went up 3db

WilliamY
08-28-2012, 06:32 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, to these antenna, Is it the more closer the antenna, the less signal you get? so for a house around 2000-3000 sq ft., 5Dbi should be enough?

William

darksamus
08-29-2012, 08:13 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, to these antenna, Is it the more closer the antenna, the less signal you get? so for a house around 2000-3000 sq ft., 5Dbi should be enough?

William

I would think it will give it better range. Anyways, these antenna are pretty long, a little over a foot long.

AnthonyArmato
08-29-2012, 10:26 AM
I would think it will give it better range. Either that or allow for Alien communication.

RogerSC
08-29-2012, 02:31 PM

Sorry, you can change the shape of your router's radiation pattern to give you more power in particular directions (makes it less omnidirectional), but you can't put more total energy into radiation without raising the power radiated. That's physics.

On the other hand, you may only care about the directions where the radiation is increased, that would be ideal.

WilliamY
08-29-2012, 02:58 PM
Sorry, you can change the shape of your router's radiation pattern to give you more power in particular directions (makes it less omnidirectional), but you can't put more total energy into radiation without raising the power radiated. That's physics.

On the other hand, you may only care about the directions where the radiation is increased, that would be ideal.

What I understand is that these antenna is not good to those houses that having 2 floors, when the router is located in the basement, since the radiation is dropping to zero directly above and below the antenna.

William

AnthonyArmato
08-29-2012, 10:40 PM
What I understand is that these antenna is not good to those houses that having 2 floors, when the router is located in the basement, since the radiation is dropping to zero directly above and below the antenna.

William

That's any antenna that's not directional... No ?

WilliamY
08-29-2012, 11:55 PM
That's any antenna that's not directional... No ?

2dbi has 360 degree though.

ArCan
08-30-2012, 06:04 PM
Hi, ArCan
Thanks
William
I had order it
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Dual-Band-2-4-5-8Ghz-9dBi-RP-SMA-High-Gain-Antenna-/130729553117
on Sunday and I'm going to return it back tomorrow.
Why? It's easy to explain. Even on 2.4 band stock antennas work better.
On 5GHz this "Dual Band High Gain" antenna doesn't work at all !!!
O.K. At the first I ask myself - May be the antennas very sharp directional?
I put router on the floor and walk around inside room and outside to house,
went up to the second floor and gone down to basement,
to try to find the maximum and minimum points...
I was trying to change positions of antennas of router and turn my laptop right-left, up-down... l lift and put laptop on the floor.
Of course I saw changes on inSSDer and they were different in different places.
BUT almost always worse or same like with stock antennas.
I couldn't believe... I don't want believe to it...

I walked around same way and did measure the level of signal in same points
three times for 2.4 and two times for 5GHz band and wrote down the figures...
And with each next time I was more and more sure that my new "double-band-high gain antennas"
ARE "not-double-band-not-high-gain" and only chip chines fake.

OK.
It's only MY my results.
And I really very hope, that others have good experience with this.
And may be the reason for such terrible results only personal myself.

P.S. I had conversation with seller and asked him about the model etc.
he told me that he has information from his diller and if I want I can return this antennas back
any time.
I knew the risk =chines+chip+no name of model+no name of manufacturer+no any warranty...
That experience cost for me a several dollars for shipping.

P.P.S I have two antennas http://www.trendnet.com/downloads/list_subcategory.asp?SUBTYPE_ID=859
(directional) and they works with good results with other router.
Now I'm looking for
http://www.trendnet.com/products/proddetail.asp?status=view&prod=105_TEW-AI75O&cat=91 ...
or similar but with any warranty against fake :)

WilliamY
08-30-2012, 08:11 PM
I had order it
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Dual-Band-2-4-5-8Ghz-9dBi-RP-SMA-High-Gain-Antenna-/130729553117
I was trying to change positions of antennas of router and turn my laptop right-left, up-down... l lift and put laptop on the floor.

And with each next time I was more and more sure that my new "double-band-high gain antennas"

OK.
It's only MY my results.

he told me that he has information from his diller and if I want I can return this antennas back
any time.
I knew the risk =chines+chip+no name of model+no name of manufacturer+no any warranty...

P.P.S I have two antennas http://www.trendnet.com/downloads/list_subcategory.asp?SUBTYPE_ID=859
Now I'm looking for
http://www.trendnet.com/products/proddetail.asp?status=view&prod=105_TEW-AI75O&cat=91 ...

Thanks, much appreciated.

William

DaveMishSr
08-30-2012, 10:51 PM
I had order it

OK.
It's only MY my results.

any time.

Now I'm looking for
I bought a similar product on Ebay. And I got the same result. Worse 2.4GHz band reception and nothing at all on the 5GHz band.

tamalero
08-31-2012, 10:58 PM
I had order it

OK.
It's only MY my results.

any time.

Now I'm looking for

these antennas you are "looking for".. they seem to be for A/G.
dont you need N/G/B ?

ArCan
09-01-2012, 11:23 AM
these antennas you are "looking for".. they seem to be for A/G.
dont you need N/G/B ?
For antennas doesn't matter what kind modulation will transmit or receive.
For antenna the important parameters are frequency, SWR and resistant
for compatibility with output of transmitter.

A/B/G/N/AC or FM/AM these characteristics doesn't important for antennas at all.

And I'm looking for DUAL band WiFi antenna it's mean 2.4GHz/5GHz, >3:1 SWR, 50Ohms...
Usually good antennas has >2:1 and resistance close to 50Ohms with resonance in centre of working band...

If I see A/G it's mean for me that it's antenna for both WiFi bands 5/2.4
and it's mean that such antenna WILL works with A/AC on 5GHz and
B/G on 2.4... and standard N of course that can be using on 2.4 and on 5Ghz...

I think...

P.S. For manufacturing antennas for such high bands like several GHz
very important the sizes each part of antennas and differences in couple millimetres
could be dramatically important too.
In my case (with antennas that spoke above) I think they was made
with so so control of measuring tools and materials (cable for example)...
On such frequencies the level of reduce of signal (-dBi) in bad cable (or materials)
could be same like the amplification (+dBi) of antenna and we will have 0 as result
and plus wrong sizes of part of antenna...

kuby8388
09-03-2012, 02:34 AM
Hello everyone.

I was wondering if anyone know where to buy the antennas that are exactly the same or identical in specs to the stock antennas for an ASUS RT N66U router. I suspect that my antennas might have broke due to overheating.

I'm not sure if writing an email to ASUS support about aquiring another set of stock antennas would work (I have an account as asustek, so if I do email them about getting new antennas I would already be a verified owner -- but sadly, I did not buy a warranty from them). In addition, I live in Canada, and a lot of sellers of antennas only ship in the US - so I'm not sure where I can get my hand on a set of identical 2dBi stock antennas from all the way here, up north.

If anyone has tips or any suggestions and can share them, I would greatly appreciate them.

Regards,

Kuby.

Jeffspears
09-04-2012, 02:55 PM
I had order it

OK.
It's only MY my results.

any time.

Now I'm looking for

Thanks for posting your experience its very useful sharing such things for the other ppl planning to buy such stuff, as a thank you I will post my experience

I bought a single band antenna of asus themselve the link below here

http://www.amazon.com/Asus-WL-ANT-191-Omni-Antenna/dp/B0046HQKV6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346784514&sr=8-1&keywords=Antenna+asus

I have not seen any improvement in the 2.4Ghz infact it was worse, and one day while reading I think one of toastmaster articles about antenna I learned that those high gain antenna,s only have an positive effect when going horizontal meaning at the same floor, vertical signal will decrease so between floors it becomes weaker. Anyway it was a good read, and my test though unsuccessful was still a joy for me crossing down oan "IF" out of my mind :)

WilliamY
09-04-2012, 03:56 PM
Thanks for posting your experience its very useful sharing such things for the other ppl planning to buy such stuff, as a thank you I will post my experience

I bought a single band antenna of asus themselve the link below here

http://www.amazon.com/Asus-WL-ANT-191-Omni-Antenna/dp/B0046HQKV6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346784514&sr=8-1&keywords=Antenna+asus

I have not seen any improvement in the 2.4Ghz infact it was worse, and one day while reading I think one of toastmaster articles about antenna I learned that those high gain antenna,s only have an positive effect when going horizontal meaning at the same floor, vertical signal will decrease so between floors it becomes weaker. Anyway it was a good read, and my test though unsuccessful was still a joy for me crossing down oan "IF" out of my mind :)

What I learned is that the 2dbi antenna is 360 degree, which means the vertical direction has the same signal as horizontal direction. but the antenna has short range.

alternety
09-04-2012, 09:31 PM
Some thoughts about antennas. 360 degree coverage does not necessarily mean that the vertical pattern is also omnidirectional. Antennas are three dimensional. When you look at an antenna the vendor needs to supply two coverage charts. One the horizontal coverage; one the vertical pattern. A simple vertical antenna will have a symmetric field in the horizontal and vertical direction; but they may not be the same. Up gain is most likely less than horizontal gain. And you are trying to get through the ceiling.

If you are in the basement and trying to get to the third floor, there are two ways; using the radiation patterns. If you buy an "omnidirectional" (e.g., a single whip/stub antenna) then you probably need to turn it horizontal to increase signal strength to the third floor. But the gain will be relatively low.

The better approach is to use a strongly directional antenna (Yagi for discrete bands, log periodic for a wide band coverage). If your alignment permits, point the antenna at the third floor device. The signal will drop off significantly away from the center line. Use the field diagrams from the vendor to determine signal strength distribution. This is the best you can do with the specific power output from the transmitter (at each end) and the gain pattern of the antenna. The gain works both ways. Your effective transmitter signal is raised by the specified antenna gain, and your receiver signal level is raised by the same amount. It is like the remote transmitter is increased in power equal to the antenna gain.

The available power output of the router transmitter is probably greater than many remote devices. Remember, the links (total radio path) to and from the main transceiver (e.g., your router) must (after all gains, losses, signal to noise ratios, etc.) be symmetric for a decent connection. More power on only one end will most likely not improve things.

ArCan
09-13-2012, 10:22 AM
Hi everybody.
It's time to smile.
http://s8.postimage.org/qnz7xhs79/IMG_9309.jpg
This is my very old laptop and it has only two antennas inside.
I upgrade the WiFi card and put the 3rd antenna ...
This 3rd antenna from DUAL BAND and its work good on both
only because the diameter of tubes wide enough for wide range on two bands.
BUT of course it reduce the amplification of antenna in any range.
And other BUT... I hope now that I have 3TR3RV and really I have better performance.

This is a little bit another story about antennas of course.
But we have three antennas on router and sometimes only one on PC's laptops etc. ...
Hm...

P.S. This is basement and rats a little bit bait my table... don't worry about it...

DaveMishSr
09-13-2012, 11:04 AM
Hi everybody.
It's time to smile.
http://s8.postimage.org/qnz7xhs79/IMG_9309.jpg
This is my very old laptop and it has only two antennas inside.
I upgrade the WiFi card and put the 3rd antenna ...
This 3rd antenna from DUAL BAND and its work good on both
only because the diameter of tubes wide enough for wide range on two bands.
BUT of course it reduce the amplification of antenna in any range.
And other BUT... I hope now that I have 3TR3RV and really I have better performance.

This is a little bit another story about antennas of course.
But we have three antennas on router and sometimes only one on PC's laptops etc. ...
Hm...

P.S. This is basement and rats a little bit bait my table... don't worry about it...
Interesting solution. When I upgraded my laptop from a Centrino N-1030 to the Centrino Ultimate N-6300 I installed a third antenna wire and routed it along the two existing wires. That was a royal pain in the *ss as I had to remove the display screen in order to run it but I wanted the upgrade to at least appear professional. It works like a charm but I cannot recommend anyone else try it.

badbob001
10-30-2012, 09:27 AM
I wonder if I can simply replace the three antennas on my RT-N66U with the ones from this bad boy. It's direct attach so no coax lost?
http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/7931/asusrtn12hpwifirouter.jpg

This is the recently announced Asus RTN12HP, which has these rather long 9dBi antennas: http://www.asus.com/Networks/Wireless_Routers/RTN12HP

I just want slightly more signal strength at the corners of my home. I have my n66u next to all my networking equipment in the basement because I want all that on UPS to prevent disconnects from short dips in power (just experienced Sandy).

hclarkjr
11-22-2012, 08:21 PM
i bought these for my router yesterday off ebay to try out http://i.ebayimg.com/t/3-6dBi-RP-SMA-WiFi-Antennas-Asus-RT-N16-RT-N66U-RT-AC66U-AC1750-D-link-DIR-655-/00/s/NzQ1WDc0NQ==/$T2eC16NHJHQE9nzE)jV,BQkdLpU!E!~~60_12.JPG
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261105864694?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
anybody try those before?

AnthonyArmato
11-22-2012, 10:08 PM
I think there's a thread where someone purchased those or similar and got worse performance/range.

sm00thpapa
12-10-2012, 02:35 PM
Stock antennas are 3.5 dBi not 2 dBi. All of those antennas on ebay are Chinese junk and do not work. Save your money and buy from a trusted seller like newegg or something.

Raptor
12-10-2012, 02:45 PM
Stock antennas are 3.5 dBi not 2 dBi. All of those antennas on ebay are Chinese junk and do not work. Save your money and buy from a trusted seller like newegg or something.

The antenna's that come with the RT-N66U are 2 dBi. It's in Asus FCC documentation. I've experimented with several third party antenna's and i'm still using the stock Asus ones. They delivered the best coverage with a consistently good signal.

lukesan
12-15-2012, 08:07 AM
The antenna's that come with the RT-N66U are 2 dBi. It's in Asus FCC documentation. I've experimented with several third party antenna's and i'm still using the stock Asus ones. They delivered the best coverage with a consistently good signal.

1.5dBi difference means nothing. Moving your router an inch might have more effect than that.

What I notice in most people homes here in Belgium is that the routers are all at the front of the house which is logical since the ISP delivers the cable or adsl stuff there.
I have no benefit of the signal going out in the front of my house but would rather have it bundled to the back. Unfortunately if you use a reflector you will be making gains but also bundled horizontally. So the rest of the floors end up with a lower signal.

Now with these 2.4 and 5GHz there is another thing which I haven't seen on the market, and that is dualband antennas. The first one that starts producing this for routers and that are good quality will be making money.

I actually do not recommend you put on a high gain (or any other) antenna if it is not dualband capable. There is something called SWR (standing wave ratio) meaning that the power module needs to get rid of the power it emmits and not get it back. If you have an antenna build for the freq it will be a perfect resonator and the module will not get the power back which might damage it.

itcaveman
02-15-2013, 10:45 AM
Been running two of these for close to two years with both radios set to 200mw. No issues , good range, great throughput, very stable signal in a 4000 square foot house, no abnormal heat either.

Machine is stock, not mods, no new antenna's. just up'd the power on both radios bands.

Faiakes
06-19-2013, 10:38 AM
I promised I would report back after trying out an external antenna, so here goes. I bought 3 Asus WL-ANT157 antennas, which are dual band and directional antennas. They are pretty small and attached directly to the antenna jacks on the back of the NR-66U. I'm very pleased with the results. My 5.8 Ghz signal is even stronger now, but more importantly my 2.4 Ghz signal strength and speed has doubled. It seems that external antennas can improve signals and speed, at least in my situation. Thanks again for everyone's advice and comments.
Hi

Have you had any problems using all 3 of them?
Are there any power issues?

joegreat
06-19-2013, 02:44 PM
Have you had any problems using all 3 of them?
Are there any power issues?
Hi,

I have 3 of them (from the OEM Delock), but only using two on the RT-N66U router.
Could not mount the 3rd one as there is not enoug space beween the mouted outer two. :rolleyes:

Other user report good results by just replacing the one in the middle, which gave them better coverage.

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

olblueyez
10-18-2013, 11:40 AM
Not!

Why not eliminate the cable and plastic stand and screw the ASUS hi-gain antennae directly onto the router?

I did somethig simular with a DGL-4300 and it eliminated all the dead spots in our 1700 sq foot apartment and extended the signal out to the deck.

And he can up the Tx power too. I wasn't able to alter the Tx power on the D-Link.

PrivateJoker
10-18-2013, 01:09 PM
Terra-Wave makes a 6dBi 3 antenna dual band omni array (under one, weatherproof dome) w/ a 1m pigtail to 3 RPSMA connectors (which is what the Asus routers w/ external connectors support). They are true omni and not at all directionally focused like the Asus WL-ANT157.

Specs, dimensions, and beam pattern: http://bit.ly/19QoTla

The unit lists for $300 but my rep at CDW told me I could get it for around $200. If you call any authorized vendor you should be able to get it around that price too.

FWIW the stock antennas on the N66U are referred to as 2dbi in the FCC documentation, though they are advertised as 3/5dBi. I know the WL-ANT191 is advertised as 9dBi gain on 2.4ghz but I think there is some probable loose advertising interpretation of the gain there.

Super Bee
11-23-2013, 09:14 PM
I would think it will give it better range. Anyways, these antenna are pretty long, a little over a foot long.

Are those Alfa antennas? I have those on mine and haven't noticed any improvement from stock. I keep the transmit power at 84 mW.

What about antenna spacing?

cloneman
02-02-2014, 02:58 PM
Hi,

My antennas (antennae) are broken and I'm looking for a replacement ... stock would be fine, but NFI where to buy those (ebay seems fake). What's a good aftermarket antenna that will give me at least the same performance?

EDIT: Oops, should have read the middle of the thread :) page 6