PDA

View Full Version : Asus RT-N66u with TomatoUSB firmware

Pages : [1] 2 3

darksamus
02-24-2012, 12:36 PM
I'll start a thread with this router running tomatoUSB firmware.

Here is how to load the tomato firmware.

1. Go to the link below.
2. Download the file 'tomato-K26USB-1.28.RT-N5x-MIPSR2-083V-Mega-VPN.trx' Yes its for the RTN10U but still works for the N66U.
3. Put the router into recovery mode by holding down the reset button in the back of the router and plug the power in. Continue holding the reset button until the power lights blinks slow, then release the reset button.
4. Use the Asus recovery disk and upload the tomato firmware.
5. Wait until it finish, about 5min.
6. Power down the router
7. Power up the router and you now have tomato on it.

Below is the link

http://tomato.groov.pl/index.php?dir=K26RT-N%2Fbuild5x-083V%2FRT-N10U

Gitsum
02-24-2012, 03:23 PM
I'm not getting very good ping times to gaming servers with this router. I tried Shibby's firmware and still get the same results.

FIXED: I had jumbo packets enabled on my gamerig. Turning it off made things like they should be.

zonly1
02-24-2012, 07:10 PM
I'm really wanting to go with Tomato. Which is more solid, Toastman or Shibby? Can someone tell a noob what the advantages of each are please?

Gitsum
02-24-2012, 07:22 PM
Shibby has a new 84v out.

zonly1
02-24-2012, 07:26 PM

I thought I read that someone had posted there was a problem with that one?

Gitsum
02-24-2012, 07:59 PM
Yeah, some visual charts werent showing correctly but shibby said on the tomato forums today that he has fixed it.

http://tomato.groov.pl/index.php?dir=K26RT-N%2Fbuild5x-084V%2FRT-N10U

zonly1
02-24-2012, 08:18 PM
Cool thanks! I think I'll give it a shot then.

ladysman
02-24-2012, 08:35 PM
Does it matter the date is 2/7 if he just fixed it?

zonly1
02-24-2012, 08:45 PM

Yeah, I just noticed that too. I think I may just go with the one that darksamus shows.

darksamus
02-24-2012, 08:58 PM
Yeah, I just noticed that too. I think I may just go with the one that darksamus shows.

I kept the 2.4ghz/5ghz TX power default to 42mw which works fine for my needs. Depends on the needs of your range, you would need to double the power.

darksamus
02-24-2012, 08:59 PM

Last I checked, V84 has missing menu compare to V83.

Gitsum
02-24-2012, 09:15 PM

Yeah, I think he hasn't yet uploaded the fixed version yet. I asked if there would be a new version to get but haven't got an answer yet.

zonly1
02-24-2012, 11:38 PM
Well, I had a hard time getting into recovery for some reason. I was trying to upload v83...I then tried v84 and it worked fine. I must have had a bad d/l. Anyway, all is well, but it seems like my signal strength is not as good. Took it from 42mw to 80mw and does not seem to help. On the plus side, inSSIDer now is showing 450 (N) as max on both 2.4 and 5. Any tips would be appreciated.

darksamus
02-25-2012, 08:59 AM
Well, I had a hard time getting into recovery for some reason. I was trying to upload v83...I then tried v84 and it worked fine. I must have had a bad d/l. Anyway, all is well, but it seems like my signal strength is not as good. Took it from 42mw to 80mw and does not seem to help. On the plus side, inSSIDer now is showing 450 (N) as max on both 2.4 and 5. Any tips would be appreciated.

I never used v84 but v83 works fine for me. Try to download it again. 450bps is correct because you have it set to 40mhz wide.

Gitsum
02-25-2012, 12:52 PM
Shibby has new 85v build out specifically for the n66u.

http://tomato.groov.pl/index.php?dir=K26RT-N%2Fbuild5x-085V-EN%2FRT-N66U

TonyH
02-25-2012, 06:58 PM
Hi,
I flashed that f/w and only 5GHz radio showed up. Wonder I did some thing wrong? My main web browser is Fire Fox. I am back to .102 stock f/w now but I'd like to try Tomato f/w again.

zonly1
02-25-2012, 07:39 PM
Hi,
I flashed that f/w and only 5GHz radio showed up. Wonder I did some thing wrong? My main web browser is Fire Fox. I am back to .102 stock f/w now but I'd like to try Tomato f/w again.

I assume you are referring to v85. I can't flash it right now since my wife is working, but I will ASAP and post up my findings as well. All seems pretty stable for me on v84.

NickMili
02-25-2012, 08:40 PM
Running 085 right now without any issues, however I have run into the issue with only one or the two bands working on previous tomato releases. After you put the router into recovery and upload the firmware ... wait! Longer than the stated 5 minutes, for me. When you see the light for BOTH the 2.4ghz and 5ghz band light up ... then it's safe to power off and power back on your router to complete the firmware upload/recovery process.

zonly1
02-25-2012, 09:02 PM
I'm good with both bands after flashing. :)

ArCan
02-25-2012, 10:19 PM
Hi,
After upgrade to Tomato firmware do reset -
plug out DC, press and hold on WPS, plug in DC and don't release WPS button during 30s
After reboot you will see both bands again.

ameir
02-26-2012, 05:06 AM
Shibby has new 85v build out specifically for the n66u.

http://tomato.groov.pl/index.php?dir=K26RT-N%2Fbuild5x-085V-EN%2FRT-N66U
What are the differences between the different builds? I'm assuming the BT build includes a bit torrent client, but what is the AIO build?

darksamus
02-26-2012, 10:32 AM
What are the differences between the different builds? I'm assuming the BT build includes a bit torrent client, but what is the AIO build?

AIO = All in one. If no one has any issues with v85, I might flash it.

slazareth
02-26-2012, 12:47 PM
Does anyone know if this new v85 n66u build will also work for the n56u?

RogerSC
02-26-2012, 01:12 PM
No, tomato firmware doesn't work on the RT-N56U because of using the Ralink chipset instead of Broadcom. The only alternative firmware that I'm aware of for the RT-N56U is here:

http://code.google.com/p/rt-n56u/

Its authors started with Asus firmware and fixed a lot of bugs, so it's really very good firmware for the rt-n56u, much better than that from Asus in my experience.

TC777
02-26-2012, 01:51 PM
No, tomato firmware doesn't work on the RT-N56U because of using the Ralink chipset instead of Broadcom. The only alternative firmware that I'm aware of for the RT-N56U is here:

Its authors started with Asus firmware and fixed a lot of bugs, so it's really very good firmware for the rt-n56u, much better than that from Asus in my experience.
The only problem I have with that custom firmware for the Rt-n56u, was in the latest version he removed the QOS feature, which I'm not happy about him removing.

slazareth
02-26-2012, 03:44 PM

Bummer! I just bought the n56u and I really prefer Tomato on my routers. Anyone have any clues as to when we'll see the N66U back in stock everywhere?

edit - To answer my own question, I called B&H and they said they should have more in stock in 7-10 days. So I guess when they get those in stock I'll exchange the n56u I bought from them. Hope this helps someone else looking for one.

TonyH
02-26-2012, 05:10 PM
AIO = All in one. If no one has any issues with v85, I might flash it.

Hi,
I flashed AIO w/o any issue this morning. Had to tweak radios for max. speed.
Like the USB support part(I use only flash drives) As good or better than .102 stock f/w I ran for a day. Will see what happens when wife starts streaming movies tonight.

RogerSC
02-26-2012, 05:15 PM
Bummer! I just bought the n56u and I really prefer Tomato on my routers. Anyone have any clues as to when we'll see the N66U back in stock everywhere?

edit - To answer my own question, I called B&H and they said they should have more in stock in 7-10 days. So I guess when they get those in stock I'll exchange the n56u I bought from them. Hope this helps someone else looking for one.

There's another thread here on where these routers are available, but if you have Fry's Electronics stores near you, the ones near me have the rt-n66u on their shelves (even though it was showing "on back order" on the web site).

darksamus
02-26-2012, 06:36 PM
Hi,
Like the USB support part(I use only flash drives) As good or better than .102 stock f/w I ran for a day. Will see what happens when wife starts streaming movies tonight.

The default TX power of 42mW is not good enough? I am wondering if I should upgrade my 83V to 85V. Not sure what is new or if it fix anything.

TonyH
02-26-2012, 07:58 PM
After upgrade to Tomato firmware do reset -
plug out DC, press and hold on WPS, plug in DC and don't release WPS button during 30s
After reboot you will see both bands again.

Hi,
I understand that is to erase NVRAM? I always erase NVRAM after flashing
via Telenet or SSH.

KevTech
02-27-2012, 12:26 AM
Just wanted to post and let everyone know you may not have to use the firmware recovery software as there is a built in miniweb server once you are in recovery mode.

It has options to upload a firmware file, reboot router and clear NVRAM.

To access the miniweb server you static IP your network adapter to 192.168.1.2 with gateway 192.168.1.1 then open your web browser to 192.168.1.1

I have not tried uploading tomato this way yet but did revert back to stock through this. At first I was stuck in a reboot loop after reverting back to stock so I went back into recovery mode and cleared NVRAM through the webserver then rebooted through the webserver. After that all was good to go. Next up is to see if I can upload tomato through the webserver.

EDIT:
Successfully went from stock to tomato and then back to stock through the miniweb server. It is really nice that you can clear the NVRAM right through the browser before uploading a file. Just remember it takes time (up to 5 minutes) after uploading a file until the router reboots. Still seemed maybe faster then waiting for 1%, 10%, etc. that the recovery software makes you wait through.

Browser opens to this page:

darksamus
02-27-2012, 06:48 AM
Just wanted to post and let everyone know you may not have to use the firmware recovery software as there is a built in miniweb server once you are in recovery mode.

It has options to upload a firmware file, reboot router and clear NVRAM.

To access the miniweb server you static IP your network adapter to 192.168.1.2 with gateway 192.168.1.1 then open your web browser to 192.168.1.1

I have not tried uploading tomato this way yet but did revert back to stock through this. At first I was stuck in a reboot loop after reverting back to stock so I went back into recovery mode and cleared NVRAM through the webserver then rebooted through the webserver. After that all was good to go. Next up is to see if I can upload tomato through the webserver.

EDIT:
Successfully went from stock to tomato and then back to stock through the miniweb server. It is really nice that you can clear the NVRAM right through the browser before uploading a file. Just remember it takes time (up to 5 minutes) after uploading a file until the router reboots. Still seemed maybe faster then waiting for 1%, 10%, etc. that the recovery software makes you wait through.

Browser opens to this page:

Thanks for the tip. Just in case for those who lost their recovery cd, they can use this method.

KevTech
02-27-2012, 10:04 AM
Thanks for the tip. Just in case for those who lost their recovery cd, they can use this method.

Actually, I found it was better to use the miniweb server as the recovery application does not have reboot or clear nvram options in it.

darksamus
02-27-2012, 03:22 PM
For those who is using the current version of Shibby's. Can you tell me what has been fixed and if anything new was added?

KevTech
02-27-2012, 08:13 PM
For those who is using the current version of Shibby's. Can you tell me what has been fixed and if anything new was added?

Found in the tomatousb forum.

release 085V
Changelog:
- ip6tables fixed - "account" and "lan access" error
- fix Toggle Visibility on QoS pages
- fix syslog service when custom path is enabled
- WOL should now works on br1,2,3
- cosmetics changes in status-overview about LAN section
- Transmission update from 2.42 to 2.50

darksamus
02-27-2012, 08:28 PM
Found in the tomatousb forum.

Sounds like nothing major that I would want to upgrade to.

zonly1
02-28-2012, 10:12 AM
Shibby is working well for me and I love the additional controls it has over the stock Asus firmware! I'd like to give Toastman's a look. Would I be able to back up the configuration from Shibby and then flash Toastman's and restore my config file? TIA

ladysman
02-28-2012, 10:35 AM
Shibby is working well for me and I love the additional controls it has over the stock Asus firmware! I'd like to give Toastman's a look. Would I be able to back up the configuration from Shibby and then flash Toastman's and restore my config file? TIA

No, at least it's not recommended.

I'd like to try Shibby's but it doesn't have Musltiple SSID yet.

zonly1
02-28-2012, 11:56 PM
Thanks ladysman!

BailA
02-29-2012, 11:52 AM
I am very happy with the Shibby Mod (http://openlinksys.info/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=11624),complete and stable!
Do not forget to make a donation for the continued development! :)

AndreaS
02-29-2012, 01:58 PM
I am very happy with the Shibby Mod (http://openlinksys.info/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=11624),complete and stable!
Do not forget to make a donation for the continued development! :)

Did you compare the wireless performance towards the latest standard firmware?

BailA
02-29-2012, 02:00 PM

I'm sorry but I have no intention of putting the original firmware

darksamus
02-29-2012, 05:28 PM
Upgraded V83 to V85. The status info looks more like Toatsman's build. Will report tomorrow and see how stable it is.

Gitsum
02-29-2012, 05:29 PM
Are there any major differences between Shibby and Toastman builds?

sirozha
02-29-2012, 06:32 PM
Are there any major differences between Shibby and Toastman builds?

Refer to this wiki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomato_(firmware)

darksamus
02-29-2012, 06:40 PM
Refer to this wiki

Toastman's build allow you to overclock the cpu via GUI. Shibby's does not, but I think you can do it via CLI.

njweb
02-29-2012, 07:17 PM
Thanks for the 102 feedback.
Been working late (at work now about ot leave), but hopefully (after also going shopping tonight), I will have a bit of time to update to 102 toinight and compare the throughput measurements to 96.

ladysman
02-29-2012, 10:19 PM
Toastman's build allow you to overclock the cpu via GUI. Shibby's does not, but I think you can do it via CLI.

Toastmans build also has multiple SSID GUI. Shibby is adding just not there yet.

I'm sure there are other things that differ. I loaded Toastmans 4096 (latest) just now. No issues. I just need to manually set everything up which will take me awhile.

I'm curious what others are putting for antenna power? Default is 0

darksamus
03-01-2012, 08:06 AM
I was getting bad wifi speed with 085V. I had to rollback the firmware to 083V then I loss the 5ghz band! Hold down the reset button and power back up got me back the 5ghz. I went and did a NVRAM clear and re-configured my router back to the way it was. Now that it is back on 083V, my wifi speed is not as good as before I upgraded to 085V, WTF?!

TC777
03-01-2012, 10:55 AM
I was trying the different firmware. But where do I download the Toastman version I can use with the RT-N66U?

I tried the Shibby version. Its ok but it seems like it sometimes has problems controlling the speed limit I set in it. Its like sometimes it totally ignores what I have set.

I actually prefer the Asus stock firmware, but it lacks detail information like the connected wireless clients wifi strength. Which I find is ridiculous for any router manufacturer to not include in their firmware.

The Asus firmware also has the same annoying bug my RT-N56U router has, in that it doesn't display all the connected clients. Asus seems unable to fix that, even though custom firmware has no problem.

darksamus
03-01-2012, 02:54 PM
I was trying the different firmware. But where do I download the Toastman version I can use with the RT-N66U?

I tried the Shibby version. Its ok but it seems like it sometimes has problems controlling the speed limit I set in it. Its like sometimes it totally ignores what I have set.

I actually prefer the Asus stock firmware, but it lacks detail information like the connected wireless clients wifi strength. Which I find is ridiculous for any router manufacturer to not include in their firmware.

The Asus firmware also has the same annoying bug my RT-N56U router has, in that it doesn't display all the connected clients. Asus seems unable to fix that, even though custom firmware has no problem.

Below is the VPN version...

http://www.4shared.com/file/SAmpnPSc/tomato-K26USB-12804952MIPSR2-T.html?

zonly1
03-01-2012, 04:22 PM
Well, YMMV, but I've had no love from toastman's version. Major wifi drops on both bands...back to Shibby for me.

darksamus
03-01-2012, 05:39 PM
I was getting bad wifi speed with 085V. I had to rollback the firmware to 083V then I loss the 5ghz band! Hold down the reset button and power back up got me back the 5ghz. I went and did a NVRAM clear and re-configured my router back to the way it was. Now that it is back on 083V, my wifi speed is not as good as before I upgraded to 085V, WTF?!

Not sure what happen this morning but now the wifi speed is just as good before I upgraded to 085V.

TonyH
03-01-2012, 09:48 PM

I spent all day today comparing Toastman's, Shibby's, (both latest version) and stock .102. Two tomatos are almost equal in wired/wireless performance. Stock .102 performs noticeably better in wireless speed and signal strength. I set TX power at 70mW on all three, turned off QOS. Being lazy I did not drag out any measuring instrument. Just www.yahoo.com as a ping test target. Down streaming my wife's favorite movies over and over. Definitely stock .102 performs better than either Tomato particularly on wireless side. I flashed stock .102 back on mine. ping time average is like over 100ms vs, less than 100ms. Download speed on either wireless radio is like 30 vs over 40mbs. Maybe Tomatos have older radio drivers?

TC777
03-01-2012, 10:18 PM
I spent all day today comparing Toastman's, Shibby's, (both latest version) and stock .102. Two tomatos are almost equal in wired/wireless performance. Stock .102 performs noticeably better in wireless speed and signal strength. I set TX power at 70mW on all three, turned off QOS. Being lazy I did not drag out any measuring instrument. Just www.yahoo.com as a ping test target. Down streaming my wife's favorite movies over and over. Definitely stock .102 performs better than either Tomato particularly on wireless side. I flashed stock .102 back on mine. ping time average is like over 100ms vs, less than 100ms. Download speed on either wireless radio is like 30 vs over 40mbs. Maybe Tomatos have older radio drivers?
Just wondering if you used the same wireless channel for each firmware?

TonyH
03-01-2012, 10:56 PM
Just wondering if you used the same wireless channel for each firmware?

For sure , yes. And only 20MHz B/W. And my repeated speed test was against a server only ~100miles away to minimize fluctuation. Config. on all 3 was identical.

ArCan
03-01-2012, 11:58 PM
I spent all day today comparing Toastman's, Shibby's, (both latest version) and stock .102.... Maybe Tomatos have older radio drivers?
Thank you for your review.
Question is:
are you leave the options in Adwansed-Wireless like default in Tomato firmware?

TonyH
03-02-2012, 01:53 AM
Thank you for your review.
Question is:
are you leave the options in Adwansed-Wireless like default in Tomato firmware?

Hi,
Only thing, I set the preamble to "short" TX after burner "on" Jumbo frame "off"
Also I noticed Toastman's does not light up USB indicator on the router.
I don't use all the features for our needs, Only IPV6 when it is needed.
Hope ASUS fix the IPV6 bugs soon. Wireless performance difference was too much to ignore.

ladysman
03-02-2012, 09:38 AM
Hi,
Only thing, I set the preamble to "short" TX after burner "on" Jumbo frame "off"
Also I noticed Toastman's does not light up USB indicator on the router.
I don't use all the features for our needs, Only IPV6 when it is needed.
Hope ASUS fix the IPV6 bugs soon. Wireless performance difference was too much to ignore.

after burner should be off! the default is off.

Preamble default i think is long??

darksamus
03-02-2012, 02:25 PM
Anyone knows when Tomato will reach version 1.29? Every builds out there is still on 1.28.

somms
03-02-2012, 02:32 PM
Anyone knows when Tomato will reach version 1.29? Every builds out there is still on 1.28.

1.28 will be a couple years old in a few month...you would have to ask the developer if he has any plans on a newer build!;)

WilliamY
03-02-2012, 03:30 PM
HI,

a newbie question, After flashing TomatoUSB firmware, when there is a new upgrade comes up, Shall I use Asus Restore App to flash it, or just using Tomato UI to flash it?

Thanks

William

darksamus
03-02-2012, 03:47 PM
HI,

a newbie question, After flashing TomatoUSB firmware, when there is a new upgrade comes up, Shall I use Asus Restore App to flash it, or just using Tomato UI to flash it?

Thanks

William

You can upgrade to a new stock or Tomato firmware when you already have tomato running. Just make sure you do a clear NVRAM every time you upgrade/downgrade.

WilliamY
03-02-2012, 03:58 PM
You can upgrade to a new stock or Tomato firmware when you already have tomato running. Just make sure you do a clear NVRAM every time you upgrade/downgrade.

Thanks much for the answer. 1) Where can I clear NVRAM from Tomato? 2) Shall I do it before or after upgrade?

Thanks,

William

zonly1
03-02-2012, 05:30 PM
Administration/Upgrade...then check the box "After flashing, erase all data in NVRAM memory" So, select your new file and then check the box.

WilliamY
03-02-2012, 05:34 PM
Great!, BTW, Shall I clear NVRAM when I upgrade from Stock Firmware to Tomato? if so, how?

Thanks!

William

darksamus
03-02-2012, 06:58 PM
Great!, BTW, Shall I clear NVRAM when I upgrade from Stock Firmware to Tomato? if so, how?

Thanks!

William

You can clear it within Tomato without having to load a firmware. Do this, it is under "Admin" -> "Configs" -> "Restore Default Configuration" drop box and select "Erase All data in NVRAM memory (thorough)"

darksamus
03-02-2012, 07:04 PM
Those who have tomato running on it, which builds are you using? Also what is the highest TX power do you have it before the signal starts to degrade? I read the current .102 stock firmware does really well at TX power of 80mw.

WilliamY
03-02-2012, 07:56 PM
Just bought it. I'm currently testing the stock firmware version 3.0.0.3.90, and found that all the portforwardings are not working, not sure what I am dong wrong.

darksamus
03-02-2012, 08:00 PM
Just bought it. I'm currently testing the stock firmware version 3.0.0.3.90, and found that all the portforwardings are not working, not sure what I am dong wrong.

Its a known issue. Try using the newest one, it ends in .102.

ArCan
03-02-2012, 08:22 PM
Hi!
Have somebody issue with scheduler and settings?
I mean shceduler with my router doesn't work all the time.
When I check All Days and Time for Reboot command
it works only at the first time and after reboot it stop
rebooting others days.
With settings I have similar story.
After rebooting some parameters return back
to default settings and I have to cange it again.
Now I'm usinga Toasman version of Toamato.
Thanks.

WilliamY
03-02-2012, 08:32 PM
Ah, Thanks much, you saved my time

TonyH
03-02-2012, 09:23 PM
Administration/Upgrade...then check the box "After flashing, erase all data in NVRAM memory" So, select your new file and then check the box.

Or you can telnet or SSH into router and issue a command nvram erase.
Inside the router you can execute same command or build a script for
whatever you want to do like backing up CFE file for safe keeping, etc..

WilliamY
03-02-2012, 09:58 PM
Hi,

Is it worth to flash it with Tomato USB, Whats the default username/password for Tomato USB?

Thanks

William

darksamus
03-02-2012, 10:09 PM
Hi,

Is it worth to flash it with Tomato USB, Whats the default username/password for Tomato USB?

Thanks

William

I like tomato over stock. User name is root , password is admin

WilliamY
03-02-2012, 11:27 PM
Hi,

HI,

Just wondering what did you tweak radios for max. speed?

Thanks,

William

gattaca
03-03-2012, 06:29 AM

Newbie question:

Typically, NVRAM is linked directly to firmware versions and clearing it usually means wiping the current specific settings for that firmware. When I've done this in the past for other electronics, it usually means restoring your settings manually or restoring them from a backup config, which sometimes is also not recommended b/c of changes in the firmware.

In the case of the RT-66u, when you clear the NVRAM, what exactly are you clearing and is there anything you need to restore? For instance setting up a bunch of fixed IPs or tweaks to the power etc..?

Thanks

BailA
03-03-2012, 06:46 AM
Hi!
Have somebody issue with scheduler and settings?
I mean shceduler with my router doesn't work all the time.
When I check All Days and Time for Reboot command
it works only at the first time and after reboot it stop
rebooting others days.
With settings I have similar story.
After rebooting some parameters return back
to default settings and I have to cange it again.
Now I'm usinga Toasman version of Toamato.
Thanks.

I found the problem of non-activation of the service Access Restriction/WPS Key ON OFF.
When restart the router with USB support and a USB key inserted, the previous services(Access Restriction for wireless OFF/WPS Key ON OFF) do not work.If i press the WPS button,this don't turn OFF the wireless,the same for acess restriction.
I hope I have explained
My current firmware is: tomato-K26USB-1.28.RT-N5x-MIPSR2-085V-AIO of Shibby
Sorry for my bad english

TonyH
03-03-2012, 09:15 AM
HI,

Just wondering what did you tweak radios for max. speed?

Thanks,

William

70mW on both radios.

BailA
03-03-2012, 09:46 AM
70mW on both radios.

I have not found the difference from 0 to 100, I tried all versions

darksamus
03-03-2012, 10:43 AM
Newbie question:

Typically, NVRAM is linked directly to firmware versions and clearing it usually means wiping the current specific settings for that firmware. When I've done this in the past for other electronics, it usually means restoring your settings manually or restoring them from a backup config, which sometimes is also not recommended b/c of changes in the firmware.

In the case of the RT-66u, when you clear the NVRAM, what exactly are you clearing and is there anything you need to restore? For instance setting up a bunch of fixed IPs or tweaks to the power etc..?

Thanks

It clears the configs and you have to reconfigure them. Restoring configs from another version can cause problems.

TonyH
03-03-2012, 11:08 AM
Newbie question:

Thanks

Hi,
It's like a scratch pad. So when one does something with f/w(up/down grade, changing to another build, etc.) better start with clean slate before and after. Also note theoretically NVRAM has life span meaning you can't write/read it forever. But I never experienced this kind of memory wearing
out in real life. But I saw USB flash drive going bad from wearing out. When
it was acting up I had to put the stick in the freezer and managed to dump
the contents B4 it became unreliable. If you hook up a Jtag on a router, you can rebuild the whole thing with right CFE, Kernel, f/w. To a degree you can do a lot using serial console as well. I have an old WRT54GSV3 I play with
thru serial console and/or Jtag. Right now I am looking for reliable USB interface for Jtag.

gattaca
03-03-2012, 12:34 PM
It clears the configs and you have to reconfigure them. Restoring configs from another version can cause problems.

Ah, hence my questions. Let's be clear. So if I use Toastman's or any other Tomato, spend a few hours setting up my 40+ fixed IP addresses for all my devices, give them human readable names etc.. and make other tweaks such at only certain MACs can use wireless.. and then I upgrade to a new Toastman's Tomato build he releases, all that setup goes POOF and I have to set it up all again? And I should not backup the config and restore it b/c there could be NVRAM changes..

Now I have FW indigestion! Maybe I should flash my unit back to Asus 102 and its warts for now as my biggest one being the 40+ devices, names, fixed IP GUI issue.

Advice from others in this situation or how you handle this please?

?? Thanks ??

WilliamY
03-03-2012, 03:11 PM
Just reflashed Shibby Tomato v85 AIO, It works great. I'm able to connect my HP Laser print to one of its USB port, and make it works with my Laptop. However, I connect one WD External HDD into another USB port, but I don't see how to make it accessible from my Laptop (Win 7). Obviously, I'm missing some thing, but I don't know, Can anyone help?

Thanks,

William

BailA
03-03-2012, 03:55 PM
Just reflashed Shibby Tomato v85 AIO, It works great. I'm able to connect my HP Laser print to one of its USB port, and make it works with my Laptop. However, I connect one WD External HDD into another USB port, but I don't see how to make it accessible from my Laptop (Win 7). Obviously, I'm missing some thing, but I don't know, Can anyone help?

Thanks,

William

Share with Samba ;)

http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/6954/samba.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/696/samba.png/)

darksamus
03-03-2012, 05:06 PM

Thanks,

William

You're not having any wifi issue with 085V? I had problems with the speed so I rollback to 083V.

WilliamY
03-03-2012, 05:17 PM
You're not having any wifi issue with 085V? I had problems with the speed so I rollback to 083V.

I haven't test the wireless yet, Whats your problem btw?

WilliamY
03-03-2012, 05:21 PM
Share with Samba ;)

http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/6954/samba.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/696/samba.png/)

Yes. I did exactly the same as yours, except the Workgroup name is WORKGROUP, same as my Win7, but I don't see the HDD, where shall I suppose see this external drive?

Thanks,

William

WilliamY
03-04-2012, 03:29 PM
For wireless, I noticed that on the Overview page, my 5ghz rate drop from initial 450mbps to 65mbps for no reason, the Channel is set to 56-5.280Ghz, Channel width is 40Mhz, and Tx Power was set to 70mW.

Any reason why the rate drop from initial 450mbps to 50-70mbps?

RogerSC
03-04-2012, 03:44 PM
Not sure why your speed dropped, but try to use the highest numbered channels available on 5GHz., like 161.

What may have happened is that while it connects at 450Mb/s, when you actually start transferring data, it goes down to the actual speed.

WilliamY
03-04-2012, 04:22 PM
Not sure why your speed dropped, but try to use the highest numbered channels available on 5GHz., like 161.

What may have happened is that while it connects at 450Mb/s, when you actually start transferring data, it goes down to the actual speed.

Tried 161 but same. I think you are right, it could be going down to the actual speed. But, why it dropped to the LAN speed? its really the wifi thing, shouldn't be related to LAN speed?

BTW, my QoS is enabled, but it shouldn't affect th wireless rate, right?

Thanks.

darksamus
03-04-2012, 04:24 PM
For wireless, I noticed that on the Overview page, my 5ghz rate drop from initial 450mbps to 65mbps for no reason, the Channel is set to 56-5.280Ghz, Channel width is 40Mhz, and Tx Power was set to 70mW.

Any reason why the rate drop from initial 450mbps to 50-70mbps?

Mine does it. I think it is normal. It only shows what is TXing when a client is connected. If plug a 300mbps adapter to a client and start streaming, the router will show a transmit of between 240mbps - 300mbps.

WilliamY
03-04-2012, 04:39 PM
Mine does it. I think it is normal. It only shows what is TXing when a client is connected. If plug a 300mbps adapter to a client and start streaming, the router will show a transmit of between 240mbps - 300mbps.

Ah, that makes sense. It really depends on the client adapter.

Thanks.

TonyH
03-04-2012, 05:03 PM

Mine is set at channel 40 with 40MHz B/W. Streaming movie real time it maintains 210 - 270mbps with signal level of ~50dbm steady. I wish they published tuned frequency of antenna sticks. It should work best at that frequency. Maybe they design them for middle of the band spectrum? If I move the laptop to loft where the router is located, it shows solid 300MHz with signal
level of ~19dbm. Just about same with 2.4GHz radio as well. I think it does not matter once signal level stays over certain point. (Quieting point?)

WilliamY
03-04-2012, 05:12 PM
Mine is set at channel 40 with 40MHz B/W. Streaming movie real time it maintains 210 - 270mbps with signal level of ~50dbm steady. I wish they published tuned frequency of antenna sticks. It should work best at that frequency. Maybe they design them for middle of the band spectrum? If I move the laptop to loft where the router is located, it shows solid 300MHz with signal
level of ~19dbm. Just about same with 2.4GHz radio as well. I think it does not matter once signal level stays over certain point. (Quieting point?)

I guess my iPad2 doesn't have such higher speed. BTW, Whats 'B/W' stand for?

Thanks

darksamus
03-04-2012, 05:54 PM
I guess my iPad2 doesn't have such higher speed. BTW, Whats 'B/W' stand for?

Thanks

Are you refering to bwlimit under 'device list'? It sets the bandwidth limit from/to the client.

WilliamY
03-04-2012, 07:00 PM
Are you refering to bwlimit under 'device list'? It sets the bandwidth limit from/to the client.

TonyH mentioned on hist post 'Mine is set at channel 40 with 40MHz B/W', so I'm just wondering that what B/W is

William

RogerSC
03-04-2012, 07:19 PM
Could be "by the way"?

ArCan
03-04-2012, 08:44 PM
I think you are absolutly right.
And even more, the figures shown on Overview page in Rate line 216, 243 or 300 and so on
don't show real speed of WiFi connection!
inSSIDer program show even 450 ! And doesn't matter how many show Tomato GUI.
Much important REAL speed of connecton.
In my opinion only Bandwidth page in GUI can show the quality of my WiFi and real speed.
For me it's ~10 MB/s or 80 Mbps and never see more in Bandwidth graphics (even with distance around 1 foot)
when I do downloads from NAS via routers to several PC's and laptops via WiFi :-(
But I always see 300Mbps (or 37.5 Mb/s (!!!)) in Tomato GUI on Overview page when WiFi in use.

RogerSC
03-04-2012, 10:00 PM
TonyH mentioned on hist post 'Mine is set at channel 40 with 40MHz B/W', so I'm just wondering that what B/W is

William

Or maybe "bandwidth"?

darksamus
03-05-2012, 08:09 AM
Or maybe "bandwidth"?

He said he is using channel 40 and 40mhz b/w.. well I bet the 40mhz is the channel width...so b/w could be bandwidth/wide.

darksamus
03-05-2012, 06:17 PM
I've just notice that my router is reporting the RSSI in the positive dbm range! and the 'quality' link is over 100!

This is using Shibby's 083V.

ladysman
03-05-2012, 07:21 PM
I've just notice that my router is reporting the RSSI in the positive dbm range! and the 'quality' link is over 100!

Toastman's Latest NOCAT build is not doing that.

darksamus
03-05-2012, 08:01 PM
Toastman's Latest NOCAT build is not doing that.

His builds never worked for me.

TonyH
03-05-2012, 09:05 PM

Hi,
Something must be wrong. 0 dbm is equal to the TX power. dbm reading going to positive side is..... where is the extra power coming from?????? Difficult to believe the reading is true.

darksamus
03-05-2012, 09:46 PM
Ah, that makes sense. It really depends on the client adapter.

Thanks.

Below is a pic showing my xbox TX of 27mbps and RX is of 300mbps on 5ghz. Yes, my RSSI is now in the negative dbm.

ladysman
03-06-2012, 08:53 AM
His builds never worked for me.

I'm not sure what has never worked but everything is working for me including the VLAN's, guest wireless, etc.

darksamus
03-06-2012, 09:09 AM
I'm not sure what has never worked but everything is working for me including the VLAN's, guest wireless, etc.

My wifi would go from 30mbp+ to 2mbps

NickMili
03-06-2012, 11:29 AM

You have been able to get guest wireless working on 1.28.0496(.1)VLAN? I can put in the guest network information but hitting the save button does absolutely nothing and never commits any changes. This has happened to me on both 0496 and 0496.1.

blink18
03-08-2012, 06:35 AM
Hello!

Is it possible to setup webserver on Asus RT-N66U with usb HDD and run PHP and SQL on it? Do I need special firmware like Tomato-Shibby for that? What is the performance of such webserver?

darksamus
03-08-2012, 01:42 PM
Hello!

Is it possible to setup webserver on Asus RT-N66U with usb HDD and run PHP and SQL on it? Do I need special firmware like Tomato-Shibby for that? What is the performance of such webserver?

You would need to install optware and then install openssh. Note that the router only has 32KB of NVRAM.

TC777
03-08-2012, 06:29 PM
Does anyone know if the "Ai Radar" feature is a chipset feature or just a firmware feature made by Asus? I was wondering if it also works in the Tomato firmware.

I've noticed the stock Asus firmware does give a little stronger RSSI signal rating in the stock firmware, than when using Tomato, mainly on the 5ghz. But I haven't noticed much difference in speed. But its hard to rate/benchmark these things.

darksamus
03-08-2012, 07:09 PM
Does anyone know if the "Ai Radar" feature is a chipset feature or just a firmware feature made by Asus? I was wondering if it also works in the Tomato firmware.

I've noticed the stock Asus firmware does give a little stronger RSSI signal rating in the stock firmware, than when using Tomato, mainly on the 5ghz. But I haven't noticed much difference in speed. But its hard to rate/benchmark these things.

I asked the same question but no one knows. I bet it is done in software. Would be expensive it was done in hardware.

blink18
03-09-2012, 04:06 AM
You would need to install optware and then install openssh. Note that the router only has 32KB of NVRAM.

Why is that important? What is NVRAM used for?

darksamus
03-09-2012, 08:16 AM
Why is that important? What is NVRAM used for?

Router configs are stored in NVRAM. When you install optware and openssh, you will be configuring the webserver and those configs are going to be part of the router configs which again, is stored in NVRAM. The more options you add into the router, the bigger the router configs and there is only 32KBytes in this router.

It would be nice if Asus release a firmware that allows you to use the internal microsd slot as a NVRAM swap drive space.

njweb
03-09-2012, 10:04 AM
I asked the same question but no one knows. I bet it is done in software. Would be expensive it was done in hardware.

Great question!
I believe AI Radar (Asus's beam forming implementation) may well be what helped my Blu-Ray player's adapter achieve the maximum measurable wifi signal (can't measure throughput on it).
This player is tucked away in a corner at the far opposite end of my home, one floor down from the RT-N66U.

TonyH
03-09-2012, 09:49 PM

Hi,
I am only guessing but looks like it is done by software, antenna steering by phase shift, or space diversity, or polarity diversity. on the hard ware side there maybe some kind of ASIC intelligent fuzzy logic or AI type processing.
If only one can disable the feature whatever it is, then we'll know how effective this is. We have to go thru source code line by line to figure that out.

randomName
03-10-2012, 09:26 AM
With the new firmware have the performance numbers like Through-put for W to L, L to W, etc gone up?

ThaDraGun
03-10-2012, 08:04 PM
What is the newest tomato firmware for N66U?? I can't figure out what one is new, what ones works.

I downloaded and flashed "tomato-K26USB-1.28.RT-N5x-MIPSR2-083V-Mega-VPN.trx"

Two big problems Im having that I can see so far...

I only have 1 wireless connection. In the videos I've seen there is 2.4GHz and 5GHz like there should be. On mine I only have one.

Also, USB will not connect for me. I checkmark enable and I click save. It doesnt enable.

What do I need to do???
Thanks

darksamus
03-10-2012, 08:20 PM
What is the newest tomato firmware for N66U?? I can't figure out what one is new, what ones works.

I downloaded and flashed "tomato-K26USB-1.28.RT-N5x-MIPSR2-083V-Mega-VPN.trx"

Two big problems Im having that I can see so far...

I only have 1 wireless connection. In the videos I've seen there is 2.4GHz and 5GHz like there should be. On mine I only have one.

Also, USB will not connect for me. I checkmark enable and I click save. It doesnt enable.

What do I need to do???
Thanks

I used the same firmware. Just hold down the reset pin hold for 30 sec to default. It should come back up with both radios. I did not have any problems using usb on the back.

ThaDraGun
03-10-2012, 08:39 PM
Thanks that did work.
I also can enable my USB now. :)

Is there any help pages to show how to set up the USB part? My last tomato router did not have USB so Im not sure what to do.
All I want to do is share the USB hard drive over my network, and use it as a media server for my PS3.

oh one other thing I thought of.

I have a VPN subscription
The only information I have to login is

PPTP
vpn.us.Ngroups.NET
*my username
*my password

Now is there any way that I can log into that with my router? That way its connected on all my devices hooked up to the router?
The only information I can find shows how to make your own VPN... not connect to one. Is this possible?

LaFemme69
03-10-2012, 11:28 PM
I'm new to flashing router with 3rd party sw, wondering if anyone can please help me.

I recently bought the rt-n66u and flashed with shibby latest fw, v085 by the miniweb method instead of using the recovery method. the upgrade was rather QUICK. I read somewhere that it takes up to 5 mins or more. My upgrade literately took only a min or so. I assumed that it was uploaded correctly because I managed to set up printer via the USB port, configured my airport express and connect a few pcs and wireless devices. Everything worked. However, I have a few questions:

(1) where can i go to reserve my IPs.....(DHCP Reservations)
(2) how do i edit/add the names of my connected devices?
(3) I connected NAS (synology ds111) to one of the LAN ports but I could not find it in my Device list.
(4) in setting up wireless in 'Basic', what's the difference b/w 'Access point' or 'Wireless client' as wireless mode? Does that affect throughput? I just want to connect my portable devices to the network wireless.
(5) I configured my airport express to the 5GHz band, my ipod touch 4G can only get 2.4GHz. Will the ipod touch see the AE?
(6) I'm trying to stream high bitrate 1080P mkvs from my office on the 2nd floor to a media player on the 1st fl but haven't seen much increase in throughput compared to my previous Dlink DIR-655. Is it something impossible to perfect or where else should I configure shibby fw to improve the throughput?

any help would greatly appreciated for now. thank you.

kd

TonyH
03-11-2012, 09:49 AM
I'm new to flashing router with 3rd party sw, wondering if anyone can please help me.

I recently bought the rt-n66u and flashed with shibby latest fw, v085 by the miniweb method instead of using the recovery method. the upgrade was rather QUICK. I read somewhere that it takes up to 5 mins or more. My upgrade literately took only a min or so. I assumed that it was uploaded correctly because I managed to set up printer via the USB port, configured my airport express and connect a few pcs and wireless devices. Everything worked. However, I have a few questions:

(1) where can i go to reserve my IPs.....(DHCP Reservations)
(2) how do i edit/add the names of my connected devices?
(3) I connected NAS (synology ds111) to one of the LAN ports but I could not find it in my Device list.
(4) in setting up wireless in 'Basic', what's the difference b/w 'Access point' or 'Wireless client' as wireless mode? Does that affect throughput? I just want to connect my portable devices to the network wireless.
(5) I configured my airport express to the 5GHz band, my ipod touch 4G can only get 2.4GHz. Will the ipod touch see the AE?
(6) I'm trying to stream high bitrate 1080P mkvs from my office on the 2nd floor to a media player on the 1st fl but haven't seen much increase in throughput compared to my previous Dlink DIR-655. Is it something impossible to perfect or where else should I configure shibby fw to improve the throughput?

any help would greatly appreciated for now. thank you.

kd

HI,
Have you optimized QOS settings?

LaFemme69
03-11-2012, 11:47 PM
HI,
Have you optimized QOS settings?

Thank you for replying. Yes, I'ved tried to optimize QOS but not even sure what I am doing is correct.

For both inbound/outbound, i tried to allocate more % to Media and Downloading but other than that not sure what else I can do.

what's odd is that i have the Synology NAS DS111 connected to the router. I can see it showed up on my MAC in the 'Shared' section but i could not find its IP address in the Device List in the ASUS Shibby v085 FW. what do you think could be wrong?

thanx.

kd

UPDATE: I finally fixed the NAS problem. Now, still trying to figure out the rest of other issues.

mrcom
03-12-2012, 04:57 PM
Hi i have a question. The RT-N66U has radio certified to 500mw can you set it to this in the tomato firmwares, As for me i can only set my to100mw on stock firmware as im in europe but im curious if i can set it higher with tomato. Best regards Mrcom

darksamus
03-12-2012, 08:34 PM
Hi i have a question. The RT-N66U has radio certified to 500mw can you set it to this in the tomato firmwares, As for me i can only set my to100mw on stock firmware as im in europe but im curious if i can set it higher with tomato. Best regards Mrcom

Why don't you try it and see what happens?

konfuzed
03-12-2012, 09:59 PM
Why don't you try it and see what happens?

I've walked it up in increments to 250mw. I was trying to re-read their info on the side and I'm almost wondering if they don't have a pre-set base level, and the entry in the field is simply what's ADDED to that, since none of the presets + override make sense for any of the restrictions.

I couldn't make it take any entry higher than 250mw, and I saw no substantive performance issues over 120mw so far, so I figured I didn't need to ramp up the heat issues if iperf showed no difference.

KevTech
03-13-2012, 10:28 AM
Just noticed build 87 on the website.

http://tomato.groov.pl/index.php?dir=K26RT-N%2Fbuild5x-087V-EN%2FRT-N66U

[release] version 087V
Changelog:
- fix usb_modeswitch (libusb error). 3G support will works now
- USB Speed improved. Old schema detection enabled.
- miniDLNA update from 1.0.22 to 1.0.24
- little cosmetics changes in Overview page. Able to show/hide each section
- IP Traffic: when/if set to 'disabled', we 'really' mean it
- fix VLAN support for WNR3500Lv2 and remove JFFS support for this router
- remove JFFS and SNMP from BT-VPN build. Image was to big for routers with 8MB flash memory.
- propably this is the last release of K24

mrcom
03-13-2012, 12:41 PM
Just noticed build 87 on the website.

http://tomato.groov.pl/index.php?dir=K26RT-N%2Fbuild5x-087V-EN%2FRT-N66U

Hi im a tomato newbe is this shibby or toastman?

KevTech
03-13-2012, 12:57 PM
Hi im a tomato newbe is this shibby or toastman?

Shibby builds

WilliamY
03-13-2012, 01:10 PM
Which one is good? Shibby or Toastman, whats the difference between these 2 builds?

Thanks

darksamus
03-13-2012, 01:28 PM
Which one is good? Shibby or Toastman, whats the difference between these 2 builds?

Thanks

This has already been answered. Search the pages off this thread.

WilliamY
03-13-2012, 04:02 PM
V87 issue. The Qos outbound traffic graph was working fine in Shibby V85 (flashed from stock firmware). Then today, I flashed to V87 and restore my configuration, The Qos outbound traffice graph stop working.

KevTech
03-13-2012, 08:15 PM
V87 issue. The Qos outbound traffic graph was working fine in Shibby V85 (flashed from stock firmware). Then today, I flashed to V87 and restore my configuration, The Qos outbound traffice graph stop working.

So....maybe you should not restore configuration but clear nvram and start over.

WilliamY
03-13-2012, 11:30 PM
So....maybe you should not restore configuration but clear nvram and start over.

Hmmm, the cfg file was back up from V85, I thought it should be restored in V87 without any problem. I could be wrong, but thats not good.

TC777
03-14-2012, 02:41 AM
It probably is software. I did find an article about beam forming:
http://www.ece.gatech.edu/research/GNAN/archive/2009/imc09p.pdf

The author of the Toastman software posted a message about the RT-N16 router and how they don't really have specific wireless drivers for each model of router. And how they can't fine tune the drivers.

http://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?threads/wireless-driver-issues-settings-for-n-speeds.36109/page-13#post-179689

I've tried both the Asus firmware and the Tomato Shibby. Its so hard to decide which I'll use. Every time I have installed the Asus firmware it always gives a stronger wireless signal. Tonight its RSSI strength reading was 10 stronger at the same locations (using the inSSIDer software).

But the Tomato firmware has nicer troubleshooting features. Like displaying the connected speeds of all the clients, and I also love its wireless survey feature. Something the Asus firmware doesn't have at all.

EDIT: I'm not sure what to think though, sometimes when I compare them at some locations there is no difference in strength between the two firmwares.

RogerSC
03-14-2012, 03:26 AM
Yes, it is interesting the way that inSSIDer shows the signal strength for the wireless for the Asus firmware as being not so strong until you actually connect to it.

For example, just sitting around in a particular spot in my living room, not connected to the wireless, wireless signal strength will be about -50 to -55 dBm on inSSIDer (which is okay, but not strong), and then when I actually connect to it the strength goes up to about -40 dBm, which is pretty strong for my living room. That's not something I've noticed before with other routers.

TonyH
03-14-2012, 09:39 AM
Yes, it is interesting the way that inSSIDer shows the signal strength for the wireless for the Asus firmware as being not so strong until you actually connect to it.

For example, just sitting around in a particular spot in my living room, not connected to the wireless, wireless signal strength will be about -50 to -55 dBm on inSSIDer (which is okay, but not strong), and then when I actually connect to it the strength goes up to about -40 dBm, which is pretty strong for my living room. That's not something I've noticed before with other routers.

AI beam forming at work?

RogerSC
03-14-2012, 12:45 PM
AI beam forming at work?

That's what I'm thinking.

WilliamY
03-14-2012, 06:00 PM

UPDATE: After I reset the modem, turn the router off and on, The Qos boutbound traffic graph is working again now.

sumsar
03-15-2012, 08:37 PM
EDIT: Got it working with JFFS instead, I guess the USB/sdcard mounts to late.

I just set up a OpenVPN server on my RT-N66U running Shibby 085 AIO.
I noticed that having the keys pasted in the keys tab is eating almost all my nvram. I have 1.5% left. :(
So I decided to put links to the keys in Advanced/Custom Configuration instead.
The keys reside on an internal sd-card.

Like this.

ca /tmp/mnt/SDHC/ssl/server.ca.crt
cert /tmp/mnt/SDHC/ssl/server.crt
key /tmp/mnt/SDHC/ssl/server.key
dh /tmp/mnt/SDHC/ssl/server.pem

This works just great if I start the VPN server manually.
But after a router reboot the server will not be started automatically.
If I on the other hand have the keys pasted in the keys tab then the VPN server will be running after a router reboot.

I assume that some VPN startup script don't like the idea of finding the key tabs empty and then it stops.

Anyone know a way around this, like where and how I might edit that VPN startup script?

darksamus
03-16-2012, 10:14 AM
EDIT: Got it working with JFFS instead, I guess the USB/sdcard mounts to late.

I just set up a OpenVPN server on my RT-N66U running Shibby 085 AIO.
I noticed that having the keys pasted in the keys tab is eating almost all my nvram. I have 1.5% left. :(
So I decided to put links to the keys in Advanced/Custom Configuration instead.
The keys reside on an internal sd-card.

Like this.

ca /tmp/mnt/SDHC/ssl/server.ca.crt
cert /tmp/mnt/SDHC/ssl/server.crt
key /tmp/mnt/SDHC/ssl/server.key
dh /tmp/mnt/SDHC/ssl/server.pem

This works just great if I start the VPN server manually.
But after a router reboot the server will not be started automatically.
If I on the other hand have the keys pasted in the keys tab then the VPN server will be running after a router reboot.

I assume that some VPN startup script don't like the idea of finding the key tabs empty and then it stops.

Anyone know a way around this, like where and how I might edit that VPN startup script?

In the "Administration" menu, there is a sub-menu call "Scripts". In there, this is a "Init" and "Wan Up" tab where you can write a script to run the openvpn service when the wan port comes up.

sumsar
03-16-2012, 06:25 PM
In the "Administration" menu, there is a sub-menu call "Scripts". In there, this is a "Init" and "Wan Up" tab where you can write a script to run the openvpn service when the wan port comes up.

Yeah, thanx. That was kinda what I was after, I just didn't know the actual script. Anyway spare memory left for JFFS is huge so I put the keys there instead.

Since they keys will only be read and not written to it's cool.
Else I don't like the idea of having to use JFFS.

gattaca
03-17-2012, 02:01 PM
Hi, It looks like Toastman just released a new build (1.28.0496.2)

http://www.4shared.com/dir/v1BuINP3/Toastman_Builds.html#dir=164292164

Has anyone tried this? I'm getting ready to try to flash from the native firmware and the prior version I downloaded was (1.28.0495.3)

The change logs says:

February 27 2012 - 1.28.0496

MultiLAN: restrict LAN Access to IPv4 addresses on firewall rules

MultiLAN: fix WOL when we have more than one LAN bridge (br0-br3)

MultiSSID: usability improvements/fixes

* settings for primary VIFs can now be changed directly on the overview/main table
* added a warning on the web UI when Wireless Bridge or Client mode is selected
* visual/usability improvements when creating new WL VIFs
* fixed/missing 'special' NVRAM variable (t_features)

VLAN-GUI: fix/load current settings when trunk_vlan_so is enabled (tagging)

* NVRAM var trunk_vlan_so relates to PORT_VLAN_SUPPORT_OVERRIDE (experimental setting)
* http://tomatousb.org/forum/t-444924/visual-bug-with-tagging-in-rt-n-vlan-builds

3G modem support (from branch tomato-shibby)

WARNING - DHCP IS DISABLED BY DEFAULT. DON'T FORGET
TO TURN IT ON IF YOU NEED IT.

March 5 2012 - 1.28.0496.1

- fixed typo in services.c

- fixed QOS prios

March 9 2012 - 1.28.7496.2

- USB detection, old scheme first
- Fix libusb error
- Update miniDNLA to 1.0.24

Thanks.

LaFemme69
03-17-2012, 11:38 PM
Hi, I am using Shibby 085v fw. hope someone can help me with something:

(1) QoS, whenever I enable QoS, I noticed that my internet slowed down after a few hours. I'd have to reset the modems and rt-n66u. If I want to stream high bitrate 1080p content wirelessly, do i need to enable QoS and how should I set it to maximize its function. I also have VOIp if that matters at all.

(2) Ai radar beaming, does that work automatically on the fly or do i have to set it up in the router? I don't see much difference in streaming wirelessly compared to my old d-link dir 655, when other pple praise how good the wireless function of the rt-n66u. unless i don't know how to set up the router correctly.

(3) I'm even thinking of maybe just use ASUS assumingly latest fw .102 because it might be good enough for my use or maybe upgrade to latest shibby fw? What do you think?

Thanx,

kd

RogerSC
03-18-2012, 12:14 AM
The latest stock firmware is .108, and I'm not sure that you get the Ai radar feature without the stock firmware.

Gitsum
03-19-2012, 12:21 PM
Has anyone tried the Tomato firmwares from "Victek"? Think I'll give it a try.
The v87 from Shibby, the QOS just stopped working for some reason the other day. All of a sudden, the torrent upload speed went to max output speed. Had to reboot to get to start working again.

WilliamY
03-19-2012, 01:52 PM
Has anyone tried the Tomato firmwares from "Victek"? Think I'll give it a try.
The v87 from Shibby, the QOS just stopped working for some reason the other day. All of a sudden, the torrent upload speed went to max output speed. Had to reboot to get to start working again.

for v87 from Shibby, You need to reboot the router after ANY changes you made that require a service to be restarted. so basically, after a service is restarted, you will have to turn the router off and on manually again.

thE_29
03-20-2012, 08:02 AM
When I activated the Wifi (2.4 & 5) the tomato firmware said sth about "services need to restart" and Wifi was up in 10 secs.. No router reboot needed..

I use v87shibby..

WilliamY
03-20-2012, 10:54 AM
When I activated the Wifi (2.4 & 5) the tomato firmware said sth about "services need to restart" and Wifi was up in 10 secs.. No router reboot needed..

I use v87shibby..

We were talking about the Qos issue. if you have Qos enabled, you will have to reboot the router after you activated your Wifi.

Gitsum
03-20-2012, 05:49 PM
Another new Toastman release, 497 now. Can't download anything from 4shared though, it's telling me I need to sign in..??

RogerSC
03-20-2012, 06:00 PM
Yeah, watch out for 4shared...I signed up for a month to get some tomatoUSB firmware, and luckily I had used PayPal. 4shared tried to put continuing charges on my Paypal account after I clearly signed up for only 1 month. So I found that I could "cancel my subscription" for 4shared via PayPal, but I had to pay for the second month even though I told 4shared about the situation, that I had only signed up for a month.

Be careful with those guys, if you do sign up. I think that if I had cancelled my subscription with PayPal before the month was out, it would have been fine, but I didn't know that I had a "subscription" *smile*. Live and learn.

Gitsum
03-20-2012, 06:55 PM
Ive never had a problem downloading Toastman's stuff until today.

thE_29
03-21-2012, 06:18 AM
As I try to compile some stuff at the router itself, I discovered that the /bin/sh - busybox with v87 shibby is REALLY SHIT!

Most of the times it is not able to determine the build, host or target type (even when you set it as environment variables) or when the parameters are to long, it shortens it and then nothing works..

So is the new toastman firmware better than v87 shibby?!

emax.b
03-22-2012, 06:36 AM
It' s possible upgrade from v87 Shibby to last Toastman without Asus recovery?

darksamus
03-22-2012, 01:46 PM
It' s possible upgrade from v87 Shibby to last Toastman without Asus recovery?

Yes, and don't forget to do the erase NVRAM.

TC777
03-23-2012, 12:36 AM
Where do you find a "whats new" file for the Tomato firmwares?

For example for the Shibby firmware, does he even have a webpage? I found where he posts the versions, but I can't find any type of "whats new" file for the versions. I see he has a version 88, with no change log or anything posted.

http://tomato.groov.pl/index.php?dir=K26RT-N

I'm currently on the stock firmware right now, even though I have switched between the firmwares.

somms
03-23-2012, 03:29 AM
Where do you find a "whats new" file for the Tomato firmwares?

For example for the Shibby firmware, does he even have a webpage? I found where he posts the versions, but I can't find any type of "whats new" file for the versions. I see he has a version 88, with no change log or anything posted.

http://tomato.groov.pl/index.php?dir=K26RT-N

I'm currently on the stock firmware right now, even though I have switched between the firmwares.

http://openlinksys.info/forum/viewthread.php?forum_id=54&thread_id=14360&pid=99529#post_99166

Shibby posts regularly but just not in english!;)

Changelog:
22-03-2012 - upgrade from 087V to 088V EN and EN
- Integrated DNScrypt-proxy (Basic Tab -> Network)
- Integrated UDPxy for multicast (Advanced tab -> firewall)
- Fixed graphs qos -> graphs
- Restored (on request) charts iptraffic -> graphs
- Fixed status page -> overview (there are buttons autoodświeżanie works, it works properly hide section)
- Increased number of entries in bwlimit from 40 to 80
- Removed the definition of IMQ (advanced -> firewall)
- 3G modem support box on the tab NAS does not go out after disabling USB storage
- Minor changes in the operation of services to support APC UPS uninterruptible power supply
- In the Polish version also corrected typos and QoS -> Detailed
- Minor changes in buildtype (table soon upgrades)

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?hl=en&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dopenlinksys.info%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Do ff%26biw%3D1382%26bih%3D812%26prmd%3Dimvns&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=pl&u=http://openlinksys.info/forum/viewthread.php%3Fthread_id%3D11624&usg=ALkJrhiGj1dVx1syHAvZnsjE4E_ypXTo2w

darksamus
03-23-2012, 08:19 AM
Has anyone tried using Toastman's tomato-K26USB-1.28.0497MIPSR2-Toastman-VLAN-RT-N-V PN.trx or Shibby's tomato-K26USB-1.28.RT-N-MIPSR2-088V-AIO.trx?

I would like to upgrade my current Shibby's V83 because I want to be able to have CIFS for bandwidth monitor so I can send the logs to my pc.

Also, with the bandwidth monitoring file to the CIFS on my pc, does anyone know a free app that I can use to view the graphs? I want to use something like mtails where I can use it as a monitoring software to view my traffic without having to log into the router.

Currently I have my router send the syslog to my pc which I have a free syslog app to view them in realtime, I want something like that with the bandwidth log files.

KevTech
03-23-2012, 07:56 PM
Seems the stock firmware does better than Tomato.

Scroll down to Performance on this page.

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=pl&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fopenlinksys.info%2Fforum%2Fviewthre ad.php%3Fforum_id%3D54%26thread_id%3D14360%26pid%3 D99529%23post_99166

LaFemme69
03-25-2012, 12:13 AM
I loaded shibby 085v right off the bat after i bought the router home, but so far haven't seen much improved throughput b/w asus rt-n66u and my old d-link dir 655. After reading several reviews, ofw is the recommended firmware so I'm thinking of reverting to asus latest stock firmware .108. Can I flash fw .108 the same way as I flashed shibby to the router? are there any special or extra procedures that I should perform when I want to put back the ofw after it has already been flashed with 3rd party fw?

thanx.

katie.

Gitsum
03-26-2012, 05:39 PM
Clear the nvram before flash.

sumsar
03-26-2012, 06:09 PM
I have weird problems with shell scripts containing "case" often used in init.d scripts.
Every script containing "case" will only randomly execute.
Out of ten manual tries maybe only about two or three will execute, every time totally random.
I don't know if this is a Tomato, USB or an Optware error.
I have Optware installed on an internal sdcard in the RT-N66U.
Everything else I use the sdcard for works like a charm.

Workaround I use at the moment is to edit scripts so that they are called like five times
in a row and then I have to hope that is enough for one successful execution.

I experienced this on tomato-K26USB-1.28.RT-N5x-MIPSR2-085V-AIO.trx and just now moved up to tomato-K26USB-1.28.RT-N-MIPSR2-088V-AIO.trx but it seems this problem is still around.

Below is an example on how I have had to edit pptp.wanup in order to be relatively sure the pptp server is started when router boots.

#!/bin/sh
if [ ! -f /tmp/ppp/chap-secrets ]; then
mkdir -p /tmp/ppp
ln -s /opt/etc/ppp/chap-secrets /tmp/ppp
fi
sleep 4
/opt/etc/init.d/S20poptop restart
sleep 2
sleep 2
sleep 2
sleep 2

The S20poptop init.d script contains "case" which I narrowed it down to be the reason for this weird behavior.

Anyone experienced anything similar?

thE_29
03-27-2012, 05:38 AM
As i said 1-2 pages before, the /bin/sh (busybox) is FUCKED UP! It is bullshit˛
At least with the Shibby-Tomato version..

I tried to compile some things and many scripts abort, because the are not running fine or aborting on some random positions..

Or in 2 out of 3 times, the configure scripts are not able to detect the host, target or build system (even when you EXPORT the variables!!)

I tested shibbyV87

sumsar
03-27-2012, 12:30 PM
As i said 1-2 pages before, the /bin/sh (busybox) is FUCKED UP! It is bullshit˛
At least with the Shibby-Tomato version..

Yep, something seems to be totally broken with Shibbys RT-N66U builds.
I posted a notice about this on what I believe is Shibbys forum.
Hopefully he looks into it because as it is now Shibbys Tomato is totally useless on the RT-N66U. :(

thE_29
03-27-2012, 12:47 PM
Well, just when you make many things in terminal/shell...

So for me and you: Yep, its useless..

But I make stability/uptime tests with V87Shibby and it is running since 8 days without reboot and speed/wifi is still good :)

A workaround you can try:
.) First install bash via optware
.) Edit the /etc/passwd file via vi or nano (install it via optware) and change the last entry in the line with user "root" to "/opt/bin/bash" (instead of "/bin/sh")
.) After reboot the passwd file is back to the same :D (so dont reboot for testing ;) - but if you are not able to login anymore, just reboot)

I dont have enough time for testing, but try this and report if the bug is still there, because I dont know if it will still be using /bin/sh, because the script says so (#!/bin/sh)

If it is working, I can make a sed-command which replaces the /bin/sh in passwd during startup..

sumsar
03-27-2012, 07:32 PM
I dont know if it will still be using /bin/sh, because the script says so (#!/bin/sh)

I just tried this and the error remains so it seems it still use /bin/sh no matter the changes.

This is a test script that I used.

#!/opt/bin/bash

case "$1" in
test)
echo "test working"
;;

*)
echo "Usage: `basename $0` {case parameter failed}"
;;
esac

Running this script manually a few times in a row gives me the following result.

root@RT-N66U:/tmp/home/root# /opt/etc/init.d/test test
test working
Usage: test {case parameter failed}
test working
test working
test working
test working
test working
test working
test working
test working
test working
test working
test working
test working
test working
test working
test working
test working
test working
root@RT-N66U:/tmp/home/root#

Quite bad odds of getting a script to fully execute.

thE_29
03-28-2012, 05:24 AM
Some problems with memory management i guess..

Did you ever try the Toastman-Tomato versions?

sumsar
03-28-2012, 05:46 AM
Some problems with memory management i guess..

Did you ever try the Toastman-Tomato versions?

Nope never tried Toastman. I got the RT-N66U just a lil over a month ago.
I'm totally fresh on running custom firmwares on routers.
My prior experiences of embedded linux is mostly on other small devices like NSLU2 and Guruplugs.

I might give Toastman a try but I have just set everything up in a fabulous way here, fwrules, portmappings, optware etc etc. Everything is just so sweet except this annoying "bug".
It feels so messy having to start all over again.

These memory management problems that you suspect is the reason for the issues, are they hard to solve for Shibby you think?

You think this is a RT-N66U problem or a more general Shibby problem affecting other routers as well?

thE_29
03-28-2012, 06:22 AM
Well, I have no other device with tomato-USB (just Asus WL500gP with Oleg-FW), so I cannot say if it is a general firmware problem or just a problem with the router + chipset + broadcom firmware itself..

But I dont think it is a general tomato problem, because this is a huge bug...

And if you dont want to test other firmwares, just try other shell´s (tcsh, zsh) and see if bug is still there!

And what i forget earlier: If you change the /bin/sh entry in the passwd file, you have to login new, so that the login-shell is BASH (or whatever you set there) and not /bin/sh anymore!!
Otherwhise it is still /bin/sh and if you call bash from /bin/sh, maybe the bug is still there..

When I am at home tonight, i will upload another bash-version which i managed to compile on the router.. We can also try that version..

sumsar
03-28-2012, 06:37 AM
And what i forget earlier: If you change the /bin/sh entry in the passwd file, you have to login new, so that the login-shell is BASH (or whatever you set there) and not /bin/sh anymore!!
Otherwhise it is still /bin/sh and if you call bash from /bin/sh, maybe the bug is still there..

Yep I did that mistake in my first try, but when trying it again i note that both /bin/sh and /opt/bin/bash gave the exact same irregular results.

I'm all in testing ideas that you come up with. Might even try Toastman too, I just so much want Shibby to work since I feel it better fills my needs.

BTW. Still no reply on the Shibby forum. I assume you know which one that is and that you read there too right?

thE_29
03-28-2012, 07:51 AM
Nope... Dont know shibbys forum... I am also new here :D Found it via google, when I was searching on how to open the Asus-Router for inserting the micro-SD card ;)

sumsar
03-28-2012, 08:09 AM
And if you dont want to test other firmwares, just try other shell´s (tcsh, zsh) and see if bug is still there!

I have now tested with tcsh and zsh. Tcsh didn't work with the case directive that I use for testing and zsh gives the very same result as sh and bash.

sumsar
03-28-2012, 08:12 AM
Nope... Dont know shibbys forum... I am also new here :D Found it via google, when I was searching on how to open the Asus-Router for inserting the micro-SD card ;)

Ahh ok cool :)

It seems Shibby himself communicates here:
http://tomatousb.org/forum/t-364842

Hopefully he checks in there soon.

KevTech
03-28-2012, 08:04 PM
Ahh ok cool :)

It seems Shibby himself communicates here:
http://tomatousb.org/forum/t-364842

Hopefully he checks in there soon.

Wrong thread...see this post.

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showpost.php?p=39663&postcount=158

Will need to translate one of the links in the post.

darksamus
03-28-2012, 09:20 PM
Loaded up toastman's latest builds, tomato-K26USB-NVRAM60K-1.28.04 97.1MIPSR2-Toastman-VLAN-RT-N-E xt.trx. I like how it has up to 6guest wifi and pptp vpn server/client!

WilliamY
03-28-2012, 09:42 PM
Loaded up toastman's latest builds, tomato-K26USB-NVRAM60K-1.28.04 97.1MIPSR2-Toastman-VLAN-RT-N-E xt.trx. I like how it has up to 6guest wifi and pptp vpn server/client!

Hi,

Except these, Do you notice anything better than Shibby builds?

sumsar
03-29-2012, 07:19 AM
Wrong forum...see this post.

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showpost.php?p=39663&postcount=158

Will need to translate one of the links in the post.

Hmm true. But it seems Shibby is communicating at that other site too.
I'm gonna try to make an account on that polish forum and hopefully get a hold of him because there is still no reply elsewhere.

It's weird not more people is reacting to this which seems to be a serious low level bug. I guess these faults might affect the over all performance and stability of the router even if not playing with Optware etc.

It would be great if others could try to replicate these issues so that we can rule out local issues that thE_29 and I might have.

UPDATE:
I made an acc there now and I have sent Shibby a private msg. Hope he replies soon. :)

UPDATE 2:
Got a reply from Shibby who says that test script runs just fine for him so now I'm really confused.
I have tried three different Shibby builds with erased NVRAM in between.
Maybe I have a faulty unit. Bad RAM maybe.

darksamus
03-29-2012, 02:09 PM
Hi,

Except these, Do you notice anything better than Shibby builds?

Before the uprade to Toastman, I was using Shibby's V083. Shibby's does not have cifs client which is what I wanted. In terms of wif range/throughput... same as shibby's. I think the core of all tomato firmware are the same, just with different features.

I would like to see tomato firmware go past the 1.28 major release, such as 1.29 and have upgraded drivers for support of "beam forming"

WilliamY
03-29-2012, 02:58 PM
Before the uprade to Toastman, I was using Shibby's V083. Shibby's does not have cifs client which is what I wanted. In terms of wif range/throughput... same as shibby's. I think the core of all tomato firmware are the same, just with different features.

I would like to see tomato firmware go past the 1.28 major release, such as 1.29 and have upgraded drivers for support of "beam forming"

Thanks, much appreciated.

darksamus
03-29-2012, 09:56 PM
Has anyone got their TomatoUSB PPTP VPN Server working? I can't get my phone to connect to it via 3/4g.

sumsar
03-30-2012, 02:34 AM
Has anyone got their TomatoUSB PPTP VPN Server working? I can't get my phone to connect to it via 3/4g.

Are you sure that it is running?
The PPTP server is working just fine for me when I get it running, as I mentioned problems has been that scripts don't execute as they should.
Maybe you should verify that.

UPDATE:
The above was running Shibby with Poptop PPTP server which I installed via Optware.
Now I'm trying Toastman's built in PPTP server and it seems to work just.

sumsar
03-30-2012, 06:19 AM
I have now tried Toastman too.
With Toastman I experience the same weird results of scripts only executing randomly.
Only thing that I can think of now is that the pure fact that I have a micro sd card physically present is the reason for these issues.
Removing the card is the only thing I have not yet tested.
Since thE_29 also experience problems with a sd card present maybe that is the reason.
I can't think of anything else. Either that or my unit must be physically broken.
It would be nice if someone else who put a micro sd card in their router could make some tests.

thE_29
03-30-2012, 08:37 AM
Hmm true. But it seems Shibby is communicating at that other site too.
I'm gonna try to make an account on that polish forum and hopefully get a hold of him because there is still no reply elsewhere.

It's weird not more people is reacting to this which seems to be a serious low level bug. I guess these faults might affect the over all performance and stability of the router even if not playing with Optware etc.

It would be great if others could try to replicate these issues so that we can rule out local issues that thE_29 and I might have.

UPDATE:
I made an acc there now and I have sent Shibby a private msg. Hope he replies soon. :)

UPDATE 2:
Got a reply from Shibby who says that test script runs just fine for him so now I'm really confused.
I have tried three different Shibby builds with erased NVRAM in between.
Maybe I have a faulty unit. Bad RAM maybe.

O no.. I dont hope that my unit is also damaged...

Can someone else try running that script?!

Edit: yep, i also have a micro-sd (16GB) in the router.. :/

sumsar
03-30-2012, 08:48 AM

I use a 16GB card too. Samsung microSDHC Class 10 Plus (MB-MPAGA/EU).
http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/memory-cards-hdd-odd/memory-cards-accessories/micro-sd-plus-accessories/MB-MPAGA/EU?subsubtype=micro-sd-plus-accessories

I guess we will have to try without the card, it's just so damn messy to get it out. LOL

It would be very nice if others using various cards could do some tests.

sumsar
03-30-2012, 08:59 AM
@ thE_29 What brand and speed is your card?

EDIT:
I received answer from Shibby, he is not using any internal sdcard.

darksamus
03-30-2012, 12:16 PM
Are you sure that it is running?
The PPTP server is working just fine for me when I get it running, as I mentioned problems has been that scripts don't execute as they should.
Maybe you should verify that.

UPDATE:
The above was running Shibby with Poptop PPTP server which I installed via Optware.
Now I'm trying Toastman's built in PPTP server and it seems to work just.

It works within the LAN ip but not outside of it. I did checked to make sure that port 1723 and 47 is being forwarded to my router's lan ip. I even tried turning off encryption. This is using Toastman's latested builds with built-in pptp server/client gui.

I also tried adding the script under firewall and it still does not work from outside the lan ip.

#!/bin/sh
iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 1723 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -p gre -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -i ppp+ -j ACCEPT
iptables -A FORWARD -i ppp+ -j ACCEPT
iptables -A FORWARD -o ppp+ -j ACCEPT

iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING -p tcp --dport 1723 -j ACCEPT
iptables -I INPUT -p tcp --dport 1723 -j ACCEPT
iptables -I INPUT -i ppp+ -j ACCEPT
iptables -I FORWARD -i ppp+ -j ACCEPT

Can you post a pic of your settings?

sumsar
03-30-2012, 12:40 PM
My setup using the built in PPTP in Toastman.

Local IP Address/Netmask: 10.0.0.1 / 255.255.255.0
Remote IP Address Range: 10.0.0.200-10.0.0.205<---outside my dhcp range
Broadcast Relay Mode: Disabled
Encryption: MPPE-128
DNS Servers: 10.0.0.120<--- my local dns, works for me but I read somewhere that local IP wont work here due to some bug.
WINS Servers: 0.0.0.0
MTU: 1450
MRU: 1450

Earlier on Shibby I used Poptop installed via Optware and the following script.

#!/bin/sh
iptables -A INPUT -p gre -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 1723 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -i ppp+ -j ACCEPT
iptables -A FORWARD -i ppp+ -j ACCEPT
iptables -A FORWARD -o ppp+ -j ACCEPT

But when activating the built in PPTP in Toastman it automatically makes all iptables adjutments.
Seems something else is blocking port 1723 for you, maybe your ISP.

somms
03-30-2012, 01:41 PM
http://tomatousb.org/forum/t-364842#post-1405529

Shibby hooked me up with a test build w/OpenVPN 2.2.2 confirmed working if anyone else is interested...

csekmet
03-31-2012, 06:24 PM
O no.. I dont hope that my unit is also damaged...

Can someone else try running that script?!

I'm joining to this thread, if found the same issue. I'm not using any SD cards, using unit RT-N66U. Shibby ver: Tomato v1.28.0000 MIPSR2-088V K26 USB Mega-VPN

Attached USB disk through USB HUB.

-- Script:
[root@rt-n66u /opt]$ cat /tmp/test.sh
#!/bin/sh

echo $*
-- Result:
[root@rt-n66u /opt]$ /tmp/test.sh asd
asd
tmp/test.sh
asd
asd
tmp/test.sh

One thing I noticed if you explicitly start with /bin/sh then then the command will result the expected output:

[root@rt-n66u /opt]$ /bin/sh /tmp/test.sh asd
asd
asd
asd
asd
asd
asd

Any of you found anything else?

sumsar
04-01-2012, 10:25 AM
I'm joining to this thread, if found the same issue. I'm not using any SD cards, using unit RT-N66U. Shibby ver: Tomato v1.28.0000 MIPSR2-088V K26 USB Mega-VPN

Attached USB disk through USB HUB.

-- Script:
[root@rt-n66u /opt]$ cat /tmp/test.sh
#!/bin/sh

echo $*
-- Result:
asd
tmp/test.sh
asd
asd
tmp/test.sh

One thing I noticed if you explicitly start with /bin/sh then then the command will result the expected output:

asd
asd
asd
asd
asd
asd

Any of you found anything else?

Awesome, very nice find :) Thanx a lot for the info. This is all fishy for sure but your find at least makes things work.

Benlehot
04-01-2012, 11:32 AM
Hi guys,

First post here, thanks for all info!

I just installed tomato-K26USB-1.28.RT-N-MIPSR2-088V-AIO.trx

Everything works fine however I can't find where I could setup a PPTP Server.

Did I install the wrong firmware? I though the All-In-One had everything in it hehe.

Regards,
Ben

csekmet
04-01-2012, 11:49 AM
Awesome, very nice find :) Thanx a lot for the info. This is all fishy for sure but your find at least makes things work.

I think this FW has a memory leak somewhere. I even used to get "Segmentation failure" messages with the same test.sh script sometimes :) Plus random reboots.

Also how you fix the issue with 'update-alternatives' ? that also fails often because of the uncertainty of the parameter :)

Were you able to hack the '/bin/sh prefix' into the ipkg script?
Is this 'hint' working for you as well guys?

sumsar
04-01-2012, 01:55 PM
Were you able to hack the '/bin/sh prefix' into the ipkg script?
Is this 'hint' working for you as well guys?

It seems that calling a script from within another script works.
In the config folder I have scripts that just start the main scripts by using the /bin/sh prefix.

I have noticed "Segmentation Failures" too as well as kernel messages like this.

Mar 31 00:39:00 RT-N66U user.alert kernel: CPU 0 Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address ef06e000, epc == 80087034, ra == 80087024
Mar 31 00:39:00 RT-N66U user.warn kernel: Oops[#1]:
Mar 31 00:39:00 RT-N66U user.warn kernel: Cpu 0
Mar 31 00:39:00 RT-N66U user.warn kernel: $ 0 : 00000000 00000000 00020001 ef06e000
Mar 31 00:39:00 RT-N66U user.warn kernel: $ 4 : ef06e000 00020000 00000000 00000000
Mar 31 00:39:00 RT-N66U user.warn kernel: $ 8 : 802fffb0 2e746e75 6d627375 746e756f
Mar 31 00:39:00 RT-N66U user.warn kernel: $12 : 00000001 87ff9c08 87ff9c10 342e312d
Mar 31 00:39:00 RT-N66U user.warn kernel: $16 : 00000000 0000006d 87a5b800 87de1dc0
Mar 31 00:39:00 RT-N66U user.warn kernel: $20 : 00000080 00000000 802e0000 80270000
Mar 31 00:39:00 RT-N66U user.warn kernel: $24 : 00000001 8001d898
Mar 31 00:39:00 RT-N66U user.warn kernel: $28 : 87af2000 87af3dd8 7ff097c8 80087024
Mar 31 00:39:00 RT-N66U user.warn kernel: Hi : 000001c1
Mar 31 00:39:00 RT-N66U user.warn kernel: Lo : 0001b0b9
Mar 31 00:39:00 RT-N66U user.warn kernel: epc : 80087034 Tainted: P
Mar 31 00:39:00 RT-N66U user.warn kernel: ra : 80087024 Status: 1100fc03 KERNEL EXL IE
Mar 31 00:39:01 RT-N66U user.warn kernel: Cause : 00000008
Mar 31 00:39:01 RT-N66U user.warn kernel: BadVA : ef06e000
Mar 31 00:39:01 RT-N66U user.warn kernel: PrId : 00019749
Mar 31 00:39:01 RT-N66U user.warn kernel: Modules linked in: nls_cp850 tun ip6table_mangle ip6table_filter xt_IMQ imq usblp ohci_hcd ehci_hcd sdhci mmc_block mmc_core hfsplus hfs vfat fat ext2 ext3 jbd mbcache usb_storage sd_mod scsi_wait_scan scsi_mod leds_usb led_class ledtrig_usbdev usbcore nf_nat_pptp nf_conntrack_pptp nf_nat_proto_gre nf_conntrack_proto_gre nf_nat_ftp nf_conntrack_ftp nf_nat_sip nf_conntrack_sip nf_nat_h323 nf_conntrack_h323 wl(P) et(P) igs(P) emf(P)
Mar 31 00:39:01 RT-N66U user.warn kernel: Process hotplug (pid: 1180, threadinfo=87af2000, task=8137b400)
Mar 31 00:39:01 RT-N66U user.warn kernel: Stack : 87a5b830 87a5b800 00000000 800bd1a4 87a5b800 87af3f30 87af3e18 87af3f30
Mar 31 00:39:01 RT-N66U user.warn kernel: 802aa700 800bcafc 000200d2 00000000 00000000 00000010 87a5b802 00000000
Mar 31 00:39:01 RT-N66U user.warn kernel: 6e69622f 0068732f 000200d2 00000000 7ff09a98 80067794 87af3e2c 00000010
Mar 31 00:39:01 RT-N66U user.warn kernel: 000200d2 00000000 87a5b930 879b0000 87a5b87c 00000000 0001ffda 00000000
Mar 31 00:39:01 RT-N66U user.warn kernel: 7ff09a98 7ff0bbd8 87a5b87c 00000001 0001fea5 00000000 7ff09a94 812d6fa0
Mar 31 00:39:01 RT-N66U user.warn kernel: ...
Mar 31 00:39:01 RT-N66U user.warn kernel: Call Trace:[<802b0000>][<80003204>][<80003204>]
Mar 31 00:39:01 RT-N66U user.warn kernel: Code: 00402021 00501821 24a20001 <80710000> 00402821 ae420104 26100001 24021000 1202ffe5

These errors doesn't necessarily pop up in relation to script execution but just every now and then.
Since I know to little about linux they don't really say anything to me.
But I don't think it's healty. :)

These issues affect Shibby as well as Toastman so I guess they need to obtain a new source.

Do you think this is related to having USB sticks or Sd Cards added to the unit?

Do you still get the errors when removing everything from the USB-bus?

niru01
04-01-2012, 03:38 PM
Hi all. Just bought a RT-N66U a few weeks ago and now Ive just updated it with Tomato 1.28 by Shibby. It gave me a serious headache when I noticed how much you can alter. ;)

Is there any guide to follow to get the most out of the wifi? important is to get the speed of the 2.4ghz going because my main comp only supports that (N-standard)

Kind Regards / NIklas

Benlehot
04-02-2012, 02:04 PM
Hi guys,

First post here, thanks for all info!

I just installed tomato-K26USB-1.28.RT-N-MIPSR2-088V-AIO.trx

Everything works fine however I can't find where I could setup a PPTP Server.

Did I install the wrong firmware? I though the All-In-One had everything in it hehe.

Regards,
Ben

Anyone ? :)

darksamus
04-02-2012, 09:20 PM
Anyone ? :)

If picked the right one, it should have it as one of the options. If not, then you picked the wrong one. I am currently using one of Toastman builds.

Below is the url to file..

http://www.4shared.com/file/8-9fjw2o/tomato-K26USB-12804971MIPSR2-T.html

Benlehot
04-02-2012, 10:51 PM
If picked the right one, it should have it as one of the options. If not, then you picked the wrong one. I am currently using one of Toastman builds.

Below is the url to file..

http://www.4shared.com/file/8-9fjw2o/tomato-K26USB-12804971MIPSR2-T.html

Oh cool!

I didn't know the difference between the one from shibby and the one from Toastman.

Since I already flashed the shibby build, can I just reflash my router to the Toastman build?

Do I have to use the ASUS firmware recovery software or I can just login in my router and use the built-in upgrade fonction in Tomato ?

Thanks!
Ben

ladysman
04-03-2012, 08:41 AM
Oh cool!

I didn't know the difference between the one from shibby and the one from Toastman.

Since I already flashed the shibby build, can I just reflash my router to the Toastman build?

Do I have to use the ASUS firmware recovery software or I can just login in my router and use the built-in upgrade fonction in Tomato ?

Thanks!
Ben

Just grab the new file, load it and erase NVRAM and start reconfiguring. Once flashed, recovery soft isn't needed.

Benlehot
04-03-2012, 05:24 PM
Just grab the new file, load it and erase NVRAM and start reconfiguring. Once flashed, recovery soft isn't needed.

Just flashed my router.

Everything seems fine!

However, my wireless connection drop when I connect to it.

I see my SSID, i click on it, it connects but 5-10 seconds after, it fails. I have to wait about 1-2min before the connection reconnect and after that everything is stable.

I try to erase NVRAM but it didn't change anything.

I have this problem with all my device, imac, laptop, ipad, etc !

TC777
04-04-2012, 03:38 PM
Just flashed my router.

Everything seems fine!

However, my wireless connection drop when I connect to it.

I see my SSID, i click on it, it connects but 5-10 seconds after, it fails. I have to wait about 1-2min before the connection reconnect and after that everything is stable.

I try to erase NVRAM but it didn't change anything.

I have this problem with all my device, imac, laptop, ipad, etc !
I only tried the Toastman firmware once, but never got it working, I didn't put much time on it. From what I read he has something turned off on it for whatever reason, I think DHCP or something.

The Shibby version works fine for me. I use WPA2 Personal, and AES encryption. I have an iPad connected also, along with other things.

One thing I have had to do though with all of them, is after installing it I've had to reload the firmware again and choose to erase the nvram... I don't know why but otherwise it messes up the wireless setup if I don't do that.

Benlehot
04-04-2012, 06:33 PM
I only tried the Toastman firmware once, but never got it working, I didn't put much time on it. From what I read he has something turned off on it for whatever reason, I think DHCP or something.

The Shibby version works fine for me. I use WPA2 Personal, and AES encryption. I have an iPad connected also, along with other things.

One thing I have had to do though with all of them, is after installing it I've had to reload the firmware again and choose to erase the nvram... I don't know why but otherwise it messes up the wireless setup if I don't do that.

Just activate the DHCP setting. Everything works fine! Thanks!

somms
04-06-2012, 12:52 PM
http://tomato.groov.pl/index.php?dir=K26RT-N%2Fbuild5x-090-EN%2FRT-N66U

New Shibby firmware released...builds now w/updated OpenVPN v2.2.2!

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?hl=en&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dopenlinksys.info%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Do ff%26biw%3D1382%26bih%3D812%26prmd%3Dimvns&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=pl&u=http://openlinksys.info/forum/viewthread.php%3Fthread_id%3D11624&usg=ALkJrhiGj1dVx1syHAvZnsjE4E_ypXTo2w

Changelog:
06-04-2012 - upgrade from 088 to 090 EN
- Added MultiSSID
- Added PPTP server
- Updated to version 2.2.2 OpenVPN
- Transmission-remote was removed and rebuilt by the script to blocklisty it is not in use
- BW Limiter for MultiSSID - to define the default class for each crop (br1/2/3)
- In preparing the version of the RT-N, then the RT-PL

csekmet
04-06-2012, 01:30 PM
It seems that calling a script from within another script works.
In the config folder I have scripts that just start the main scripts by using the /bin/sh prefix.

I have noticed "Segmentation Failures" too as well as kernel messages like this.

Mar 31 00:39:00 RT-N66U user.alert kernel: CPU 0 Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address ef06e000, epc == 80087034, ra == 80087024
Mar 31 00:39:00 RT-N66U user.warn kernel: Oops[#1]:
Mar 31 00:39:00 RT-N66U user.warn kernel: Cpu 0
Mar 31 00:39:00 RT-N66U user.warn kernel: $ 0 : 00000000 00000000 00020001 ef06e000
Mar 31 00:39:00 RT-N66U user.warn kernel: $ 4 : ef06e000 00020000 00000000 00000000
Mar 31 00:39:00 RT-N66U user.warn kernel: $ 8 : 802fffb0 2e746e75 6d627375 746e756f
Mar 31 00:39:00 RT-N66U user.warn kernel: $12 : 00000001 87ff9c08 87ff9c10 342e312d
Mar 31 00:39:00 RT-N66U user.warn kernel: $16 : 00000000 0000006d 87a5b800 87de1dc0
Mar 31 00:39:00 RT-N66U user.warn kernel: $20 : 00000080 00000000 802e0000 80270000
Mar 31 00:39:00 RT-N66U user.warn kernel: $24 : 00000001 8001d898
Mar 31 00:39:00 RT-N66U user.warn kernel: $28 : 87af2000 87af3dd8 7ff097c8 80087024
Mar 31 00:39:00 RT-N66U user.warn kernel: Hi : 000001c1
Mar 31 00:39:00 RT-N66U user.warn kernel: Lo : 0001b0b9
Mar 31 00:39:00 RT-N66U user.warn kernel: epc : 80087034 Tainted: P
Mar 31 00:39:00 RT-N66U user.warn kernel: ra : 80087024 Status: 1100fc03 KERNEL EXL IE
Mar 31 00:39:01 RT-N66U user.warn kernel: Cause : 00000008
Mar 31 00:39:01 RT-N66U user.warn kernel: BadVA : ef06e000
Mar 31 00:39:01 RT-N66U user.warn kernel: PrId : 00019749
Mar 31 00:39:01 RT-N66U user.warn kernel: Modules linked in: nls_cp850 tun ip6table_mangle ip6table_filter xt_IMQ imq usblp ohci_hcd ehci_hcd sdhci mmc_block mmc_core hfsplus hfs vfat fat ext2 ext3 jbd mbcache usb_storage sd_mod scsi_wait_scan scsi_mod leds_usb led_class ledtrig_usbdev usbcore nf_nat_pptp nf_conntrack_pptp nf_nat_proto_gre nf_conntrack_proto_gre nf_nat_ftp nf_conntrack_ftp nf_nat_sip nf_conntrack_sip nf_nat_h323 nf_conntrack_h323 wl(P) et(P) igs(P) emf(P)
Mar 31 00:39:01 RT-N66U user.warn kernel: Process hotplug (pid: 1180, threadinfo=87af2000, task=8137b400)
Mar 31 00:39:01 RT-N66U user.warn kernel: Stack : 87a5b830 87a5b800 00000000 800bd1a4 87a5b800 87af3f30 87af3e18 87af3f30
Mar 31 00:39:01 RT-N66U user.warn kernel: 802aa700 800bcafc 000200d2 00000000 00000000 00000010 87a5b802 00000000
Mar 31 00:39:01 RT-N66U user.warn kernel: 6e69622f 0068732f 000200d2 00000000 7ff09a98 80067794 87af3e2c 00000010
Mar 31 00:39:01 RT-N66U user.warn kernel: 000200d2 00000000 87a5b930 879b0000 87a5b87c 00000000 0001ffda 00000000
Mar 31 00:39:01 RT-N66U user.warn kernel: 7ff09a98 7ff0bbd8 87a5b87c 00000001 0001fea5 00000000 7ff09a94 812d6fa0
Mar 31 00:39:01 RT-N66U user.warn kernel: ...
Mar 31 00:39:01 RT-N66U user.warn kernel: Call Trace:[<802b0000>][<80003204>][<80003204>]
Mar 31 00:39:01 RT-N66U user.warn kernel: Code: 00402021 00501821 24a20001 <80710000> 00402821 ae420104 26100001 24021000 1202ffe5

These errors doesn't necessarily pop up in relation to script execution but just every now and then.
Since I know to little about linux they don't really say anything to me.
But I don't think it's healty. :)

These issues affect Shibby as well as Toastman so I guess they need to obtain a new source.

Do you think this is related to having USB sticks or Sd Cards added to the unit?

Do you still get the errors when removing everything from the USB-bus?

Bad news no luck either without USB support and with Shibby 090.

root@unknown:/tmp/home/root# cat /etc/motd

Tomato v1.28.0000 MIPSR2-090 K26 USB Mega-VPN
root@unknown:/tmp/home/root# ./test.sh asd
asd
asd
/test.sh
asd
/test.sh

root@unknown:/tmp/home/root# mount
rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
/dev/root on / type squashfs (ro)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw)
devfs on /dev type tmpfs (rw,noatime)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw)

csekmet
04-06-2012, 03:08 PM
Bad news no luck either without USB support and with Shibby 090.

root@unknown:/tmp/home/root# cat /etc/motd

Tomato v1.28.0000 MIPSR2-090 K26 USB Mega-VPN
asd
asd
/test.sh
asd
/test.sh

root@unknown:/tmp/home/root# mount
rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
/dev/root on / type squashfs (ro)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw)
devfs on /dev type tmpfs (rw,noatime)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw)

I gave it up.

1. uploaded other version of shibby (AIO,BT-VPN) --> no luck
2. made 30/30/30 reset --> no luck
3. removed all USB wires --> no luck
4. restored stock asus (.102) --> WORKING

So put back Shibby V090 AIO again and waiting for a solution from the developers.

It's not really 'usable'. Because of this bug you can't rely on scripts using any parameter (eg: .autorun, rc-scripts, .fire)

RogerSC
04-07-2012, 09:12 PM
Yes, I just tried the latest two that I've heard about:

tomato-K26USB-1.28.RT-N5x-MIPSR2-090-VPN.trx
tomato-K26USB-1.28.0497.1MIPSR2-Toastman-VLAN-RT-N-VPN.trx

I may have added the "Toastman" in the second name to help me keep things sorted out, I'm not sure.

But, at any rate, no good for either of these. Back on Asus .102 firmware at the moment.

I'd love to have a recommendation of a stable tomato release that's as recent as possible, but tested *smile*. I've used tomato before, so I'm aware that it can be very functional, and would like to try it.

Thanks.

RogerSC
04-08-2012, 03:56 AM
Yes, I just tried the latest two that I've heard about:

tomato-K26USB-1.28.RT-N5x-MIPSR2-090-VPN.trx
tomato-K26USB-1.28.0497.1MIPSR2-Toastman-VLAN-RT-N-VPN.trx

But, at any rate, no good for either of these. Back on Asus .102 firmware at the moment.

I'd love to have a recommendation of a stable tomato release that's as recent as possible, but tested *smile*. I've used tomato before, so I'm aware that it can be very functional, and would like to try it.

Thanks.

Ah, I just found Shibby's recent recommendation to use this one:

tomato-K26USB-1.28.RT-N-MIPSR2-088V-AIO.trx

frimp
04-08-2012, 03:57 AM
Hi,

Tomato by shibby, v90, AIO, is working perfectly - in contrary to the shitty original Asus stuff.

Anyone already tried virtual wireless?

MonkY
04-08-2012, 04:07 AM
Hi guys! I just got into the Asus RT-N66u club! Just flashed TomatoUSB Shibby (firmware tomato-K26USB-1.28.RT-N5x-MIPSR2-085V-AIO.trx) and i have some questions (maybe you can help me with an answer):

First, my router is really hot, no matter if the CPU has a low or high load... It's like over 40 degrees Celsius on the top part (the shiny plastic) - so i would imagine inside it's even higher. Is that normal? Can't we just set the CPU to go into idle mode or something when not in use?

Second, i've noticed both of my Wireless (eth1 & eth2) are displayed at maximum Rate beeing only 65 Mbps. Shouldn't this be 300Mbps or 450Mbps? If i would go into Advanced Wireless, i can only select maximum Transmission Rate as low as 54Mbps. Isn't this too low?

And last.. are there any tips & tricks to make the WiFi and WLAN better?

Thanks in advance!

Benlehot
04-08-2012, 09:21 AM
Hi guys,

Quick question about PPTP server in shibby or toastman build.

I can't get it to work.

Here's my settings.

Local IP Address/Netmask : 192.168.1.1 / 255.255.255.0
Remote IP addresse range : 192.168.10.50 - 192.168.10.55
Broadcast Relay Mode: Disabled
Encryption: MPPE-128
DNS Servers: 0.0.0.0
Wins Servers: 0.0.0.0
MTU: 1450
MRU: 1450

I'm testing the VPN with my iPhone/iPad. I can login in the VPN without any problem. I can also access the router admin page when I load 192.168.1.1. However, when I'm trying another URL, I can't load anything.

Regards,
Ben

somms
04-08-2012, 10:16 AM
http://tomatousb.org/forum/t-364842/shibby-builds#post-1412117

Latest Shibby build was removed due to a bug!:eek:

KevTech
04-08-2012, 02:18 PM
I like Tomato but the 15-20% drop in wireless performance is a deal breaker for me.

Jelf
04-08-2012, 05:47 PM
I have a question about clearing NVRAM.

I have used the mini web server to first clear NVRAM and then flash a Toastman build so I can have a VPN client. That all went fine. I turned on DHCP in the router and my PC can get online just fine.

But I have read posts advising that NVRAM should also be cleared after loading new firmware. Is that correct?

When I clear NVRAM using the Toastman interface, then my PC cannot get online. Instead I see a message saying “The connection was reset”. I tried various reboots without success.

So, if it is correct to clear NVRAM after installing firmware, then there must be another step that I'm missing.

Jelf
04-09-2012, 08:36 AM
OK, I can answer 1/2 of my own question.

Here is one of the tomato FAQs and a quote from it:
http://www.polarcloud.com/tomatofaq#installing_from_ddwrt_hyperwrt
Should I reset the configuration after installing Tomato?[toc, link]
If you're upgrading from an older version of Tomato, you don't need to perform a reset. Unless indicated in the release notes, Tomato will automatically upgrade older configurations if necessary.
If you upgraded from another firmware, a complete reset is recommended. Go to Administration/Configuration and select "Erase all NVRAM..." after installing Tomato.

So, since I flashed from stock v.108 to a tomato build, I am supposed to erase NVRAM after the flash is completed. But when I do that, my PC no longer sees the router. Yes, I turned on DHCP and saved before erasing NVRAM.

After the erase step I reconfigured my network connection to say "Obtain an IP address automatically". But then when I enter 192.168.1.1 in a browser bar I cannot access the router. Also I cannot get online.

What am I missing?

ArCan
04-09-2012, 11:37 AM
... I turned on DHCP and saved before erasing NVRAM...
"before"?
If you on DHCP switched on BEFORE erasing NVRAM
after erasing it again OFF. I think... (for Toastman f/w).
So, for sure you should manualy fill in your PC's adapter
192.168.1.100 for your PC
255.255.255.0 for Mask
192.168.1.1 for Gateway
192.168.1.1 for DNS
(and I connect router to PС via ethernet at first...)

In browser input http://192.168.1.1 as address
and login admin/andmin...

It's ALWAYS works for me.

Jelf
04-09-2012, 12:13 PM
Thanks ArCan

I now realize that after installing a Toastman build and then erasing NVRAM the next step is to turn on DHCP in the router. I did that by setting my network connection in my PC to:
Static IP 192.168.1.1 <== Note the last "1"
Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
Gateway = 192.168.1.1

Then I entered 192.168.1.1 in my browser bar, logged in with admin admin, turned on DHCP and saved.

Then I changed my network connection back to "automatic" for both IP and DNS.

I powered the router on/off, re-booted the PC and all is sweet.

ArCan
04-09-2012, 02:25 PM
... in my PC to:
Static IP 192.168.1.1 <== Note the last "1"

192.168.1.1 this is router's IP
and of course you should use another IP for you PC
(192.168.1.100 for exaple)
You changed to "auto" and your PC found good IP
next AFTER 192.168.1.1 (but not 192.168.1.1 because it is router's IP) and so on...

Good luck!

ThaDraGun
04-09-2012, 06:54 PM
Is there anything special you need to do to go back to stock firmware??
Right now I'm using tomato-K26USB-1.28.RT-N5x-MIPSR2-085V-AIO

I would rather Tomato but I cant get media server to work correctly with my PS3. So I want to try stock to see if it will work on that.

I put the router back into recovery mode, and used the Firmware Restoration app to flash with RT-N66U_3.1.0.3_90
after it was all done it said it was complete I noticed the router just keeps resetting. The power light stays on, but all the other lights flash. I can't log into http://192.168.1.1/ and it just keeps saying identifying network and then it resets.
Then I tried flashing RT-N66U_3.0.0.3_96 and the same exact thing happens.

I put tomato-K26USB-1.28.RT-N5x-MIPSR2-085V-AIO back on and works fine other then I cant get media server working on all my devices.

What do I need to do?

KevTech
04-09-2012, 07:09 PM
You can flash back to stock through the Tomato GUI.

ArCan
04-09-2012, 10:01 PM
What do I need to do?
I think, you have to press and hold WPS button
and only after that switch on the router
after 30 seconds release WPS button.
Router should continue booting like always.

ThaDraGun
04-09-2012, 11:26 PM
You can flash back to stock through the Tomato GUI.

Thanks, That worked for me. I'm changed back to stock now.

Sadly, while tomato worked partially for what I wanted.. Stock isnt working at all for me!

I want to share a portable harddrive over my network so that my laptop can access the files too, It doesnt show up anywhere on the network. I can only access it through ftp.
I would like to view the movie files on it through a media server on my samsung tv mediaplayer or on my PS3. The media server shows, but it only has empty folders. It doesn't show any of the video files inside.

With Tomato that all worked except with the PS3. Kept giving me a network error.

Guess Im going back to Tomato.
Whats the best version?
I had tomato-K26USB-1.28.RT-N5x-MIPSR2-085V-AIO
That still good?

morden
04-10-2012, 12:47 AM
Thanks, That worked for me. I'm changed back to stock now.

Sadly, while tomato worked partially for what I wanted.. Stock isnt working at all for me!

I want to share a portable harddrive over my network so that my laptop can access the files too, It doesnt show up anywhere on the network. I can only access it through ftp.
I would like to view the movie files on it through a media server on my samsung tv mediaplayer or on my PS3. The media server shows, but it only has empty folders. It doesn't show any of the video files inside.

With Tomato that all worked except with the PS3. Kept giving me a network error.

Guess Im going back to Tomato.
Whats the best version?
I had tomato-K26USB-1.28.RT-N5x-MIPSR2-085V-AIO
That still good?

stock .108 is supposed to be the best stable stock version and you could try version .088 of shibby's tomato from what i gather. Not saying that I'm 100% correct, I'm just going by what I've read up to date so far. Hope that helps out for you!

Gitsum
04-14-2012, 01:56 AM
Shibby's latest build, 092, has a new check box to enable "CTF" or, Cut through forwarding.

MonkY
04-14-2012, 02:16 AM
Shibby's latest build, 092, has a new check box to enable "CTF" or, Cut through forwarding.
Can you point to the location for the latest 092 build? I can only see 088 on the "oficial" site: http://tomato.groov.pl/index.php?dir=K26
Also, anything else new in the 092 build?
Thanks in advance!

BailA
04-14-2012, 03:42 AM
Can you point to the location for the latest 092 build? I can only see 088 on the "oficial" site: http://tomato.groov.pl/index.php?dir=K26
Thanks in advance!

LINK (http://tomato.groov.pl/index.php?dir=K26RT-N%2Fbuild5x-092-EN%2FRT-N66u) :)

KevTech
04-14-2012, 03:03 PM

[RELEASE] 092!
changelog:
- Fix GUI broken in 090 in build without VPN

- Fix PPTP when used over WAN setup using PPPoE

- Transmission: lot of changes in compilation process:
* update to 2.51
* remove gettext from depends
* add libiconv + patches from openwrt
* revert transmission-remote tool as optional (TR_EXTRAS). Included in Mega-VPN and AIO builds
* add EVENT_NOEPOLL=1 to startup script
* result = very stable transmsision and very fast GUI

- BW Limiter: few fixes:
* fix default class for br3
* fix default classes (br1\br2\br3) when default class br0 is enabled

- curl update from 7.21.1 to 7.25.0

- libevent update from 2.0.11 to 2.0.18

- OpenSSL update from 1.0.0d to 1.0.1-stable including all teddy`s patches/changes

- 3G Modem: Add ttyUSB1 and ttyUSB3 to modem device list

LaFemme69
04-18-2012, 10:54 AM
wondering if someone can PLEASE help me.

not sure if it's coincidental or not but last night while trying to set up a wireless bridge with linksys wes610n, i changed my 5ghz band to be in wireless mode and after saving the settings my rt-n66u could not get onto the internet neither wired nor wireless. It did broadcast both wireless bands and the light for the ports were lit up but could not get on the internet.

I was able to log onto rt-n66u web GUI via 192.168.1.1 that's about it. I even tried to reboot the router via web GUI but still no internet connectivity.

in combination of turning the router off and unplugging it and unplugging the modem but nothing worked. i plugged my pc directly to the modem and it worked fine so it's gotta be the rt-n66u.

I'm on shibby's firmware version 085.

what else can I do? another way of resetting the router, flash to shibby's latest firmware or put in the latest stock firmware????

least favor scenario, could my rt-n66u be dead after 3 weeks of use?

thanx.

kd

gary8vi
04-18-2012, 11:26 AM
wondering if someone can PLEASE help me.

not sure if it's coincidental or not but last night while trying to set up a wireless bridge with linksys wes610n, i changed my 5ghz band to be in wireless mode and after saving the settings my rt-n66u could not get onto the internet neither wired nor wireless. It did broadcast both wireless bands and the light for the ports were lit up but could not get on the internet.

I was able to log onto rt-n66u web GUI via 192.168.1.1 that's about it. I even tried to reboot the router via web GUI but still no internet connectivity.

in combination of turning the router off and unplugging it and unplugging the modem but nothing worked. i plugged my pc directly to the modem and it worked fine so it's gotta be the rt-n66u.

I'm on shibby's firmware version 085.

what else can I do? another way of resetting the router, flash to shibby's latest firmware or put in the latest stock firmware????

least favor scenario, could my rt-n66u be dead after 3 weeks of use?

thanx.

kd

Could it be your nvram is not completely erased?

What works best for me is using telnet to erase the nvram.

Got this great tip from RogerSC:

Make sure to enable telnet in 66u - System is turned ON
Enable telnet session, from C:\ prompt type:
telnet 192.168.1.1
enter login: admin
enter your password:xxxxx

mtd-erase -d nvram

reboot

That has cleared the nvram when all else has not worked and would recommend for every FW upgrade.

Also, If you haven't all ready, might also try turning off then on your PC. My adapter has stopped connecting to the internet when making FW changes and a full restart is the only cure.

Good luck!

LaFemme69
04-18-2012, 11:34 AM
Could it be your nvram is not completely erased?

What works best for me is using telnet to erase the nvram.

Got this great tip from RogerSC:

Make sure to enable telnet in 66u - System is turned ON
Enable telnet session, from C:\ prompt type:
telnet 192.168.1.1
enter login: admin
enter your password:xxxxx

mtd-erase -d nvram

reboot

That has cleared the nvram when all else has not worked and would recommend for every FW upgrade.

Good luck!

thank you for responding.

how do i do that on a MAC?

after typing in 'mtd-erase -d nvram', do I also type reboot as well? or physically reboot by turning router on and off or from the web GUI?

I'll try tonight when i get home. I'll post back.

kd.

gary8vi
04-18-2012, 12:18 PM
thank you for responding.

how do i do that on a MAC?

after typing in 'mtd-erase -d nvram', do I also type reboot as well? or physically reboot by turning router on and off or from the web GUI?

I'll try tonight when i get home. I'll post back.

kd.

Not very familiar MAC and their OS.

Reboot is a command that once you type it in, the 66u reboots. Then turn off your browser and turn it back on. You should see your N66U start up / configure screen - if your running the Asus firmware or the main Tomato screen with your settings erased.

Protos
04-18-2012, 05:27 PM
Thanks for the link to the newest shibby.
I installed AIO last night and quite pleased (first time on tomato), however I require guest network.

Does shibby have a build with this feature ?

darksamus
04-18-2012, 06:54 PM
I installed AIO last night and quite pleased (first time on tomato), however I require guest network.

I haven't use Shibby's for sometime. I switched over to Toastman which has up to 6 guest ssid.

Below is the link to Toastman's build.

http://www.4shared.com/file/TP2mPDpg/tomato-K26USB-1280498MIPSR2-To.html?

Protos
04-18-2012, 06:59 PM
Thanks is there a forum thread or link where I can view development and downloads?
I don't sign up to download sites/services.

KevTech
04-18-2012, 08:24 PM

MultiSSID was added as of the 90 build.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dopenlinksys.info%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Do ff%26biw%3D1382%26bih%3D812%26prmd%3Dimvns&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=pl&u=http://openlinksys.info/forum/viewthread.php%3Fthread_id%3D11624 (http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dopenlinksys.info%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Do ff%26biw%3D1382%26bih%3D812%26prmd%3Dimvns&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=pl&u=http://openlinksys.info/forum/viewthread.php%3Fthread_id%3D11624)

LaFemme69
04-19-2012, 12:35 PM
Not very familiar MAC and their OS.

Reboot is a command that once you type it in, the 66u reboots. Then turn off your browser and turn it back on. You should see your N66U start up / configure screen - if your running the Asus firmware or the main Tomato screen with your settings erased.

Not sure why I couldn't log into the router through command line/telnet using the user id and password that i've always used to get into the web GUI. I checked and Telnet was enabled.

anyways, using shibby's fw i flashed the router with stock fw 112 and cleared NVRAM. the router is back up and running again...WHOO HOO!!! :)

although it's working so far but a bit disappointed with the stock fw due to its few limitations, unless I don't know how to do it.....(1) I wished I can name my devices instead of just by MAC address, (2) on top of DHCP, some how manually assign certain IP addresses for some current devices. I tried but when I view the devices, they still show the IP addresses assigned by DHCP. not the ones i manually assigned...

kd

RogerSC
04-19-2012, 02:37 PM
Not sure why I couldn't log into the router through command line/telnet using the user id and password that i've always used to get into the web GUI. I checked and Telnet was enabled.

anyways, using shibby's fw i flashed the router with stock fw 112 and cleared NVRAM. the router is back up and running again...WHOO HOO!!! :)

although it's working so far but a bit disappointed with the stock fw due to its few limitations, unless I don't know how to do it.....(1) I wished I can name my devices instead of just by MAC address, (2) on top of DHCP, some how manually assign certain IP addresses for some current devices. I tried but when I view the devices, they still show the IP addresses assigned by DHCP. not the ones i manually assigned...

kd

Yeah, I think that since there's a valid lease time for the IP assigned by dhcp for the device in the Asus firmware, you need to get the router to regenerate the IP address. Then it notices that the device is supposed to have a static IP. I think that it worked for me to power cycle the device, so that it goes away for a little while. I don't remember if I also had to power cycle the router at the same time as well.

At any rate, static addresses do work in the Asus firmware, it just takes a little jiggling to get the router to make the change.

LaFemme69
04-19-2012, 05:55 PM
Yeah, I think that since there's a valid lease time for the IP assigned by dhcp for the device in the Asus firmware, you need to get the router to regenerate the IP address. Then it notices that the device is supposed to have a static IP. I think that it worked for me to power cycle the device, so that it goes away for a little while. I don't remember if I also had to power cycle the router at the same time as well.

At any rate, static addresses do work in the Asus firmware, it just takes a little jiggling to get the router to make the change.

another thing asus stock firmware sucks too is that it doesn't have no-ip DDNS service. They have their own ddns service which i heard is non-existence and the rest are paid ddns services. I have a free one with no-ip but i can't add into the list.....dang! I may have to flash with shibby's latest fw.....but then i read one of the threads a few pages back that shibby's fw gives a lower wireless signal....is that true? perhaps toastman is better...???

kd

shantanugoel
04-19-2012, 11:23 PM
another thing asus stock firmware sucks too is that it doesn't have no-ip DDNS service. They have their own ddns service which i heard is non-existence and the rest are paid ddns services. I have a free one with no-ip but i can't add into the list.....dang! I may have to flash with shibby's latest fw.....but then i read one of the threads a few pages back that shibby's fw gives a lower wireless signal....is that true? perhaps toastman is better...???

kd

All 3rd party fw builds give lower wifi performance right now compared to stock. You can check this thread http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=7047 for a custom firmware based on the stock Asus sources which gives good wifi performance and adds missing features.

Protos
04-20-2012, 09:31 PM
MultiSSID was added as of the 90 build.

Thanks.
Had to struggle around the gui a little to find how to enable but it was there. Quite happy now. Can't wait till third party firmware matches stock on wireless.

Protos
04-20-2012, 09:37 PM
I have a jumbo frames question.

I have an intel nic in one machine 9014 bytes
Realtek nic in another 9kB
Synology Nas MTU 9000

I have set my jumbo frames in the router to maximum 9720.

Is this correct ? or too high ??

ArCan
04-21-2012, 12:16 AM
This is repost from http://tomatousb.org/forum/t-461749

"Here is a minimalist demonstration of the Hash-Bang Shell Parameter Bug:
Paste this:

cd /tmp
echo "#!/bin/sh" >bug
echo 'echo -n $1.' >>bug
chmod +x bug
for i in 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9; do bug $i; done

You should get a line of 10 punctuated digits.
But on the N66U, you might see a few "ug"s instead.
You can do this from Tools>System — no need to ssh or telnet."

Oh my God...
RT-N66U is here and
every time when I execute it I don't have any result without "ug" !!!
0.1.2.3.ug.5.6.7.8.9.
ug.1.ug.ug.ug.5.ug.7.8.ug.
ug.1.2.3.ug.ug.ug.ug.8.ug.
etc.

I did same test on E2000 and it works fine without "ug" all the time.
"0.1.2.3.4.5.6.7.8.9." Good result !

P.S. On both routers I have last version of Toastman f/w.
I would like to know results of such test with DD-WRT on RT-N66U...

P.P.S. I put exactly same post on others sites...

shantanugoel
04-21-2012, 04:59 AM
^^ This issue is not there on stock and RMerlin's custom builds.

csekmet
04-24-2012, 08:46 AM
This is repost from http://tomatousb.org/forum/t-461749

"Here is a minimalist demonstration of the Hash-Bang Shell Parameter Bug:
Paste this:

cd /tmp
echo "#!/bin/sh" >bug
echo 'echo -n $1.' >>bug
chmod +x bug
for i in 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9; do bug $i; done

You should get a line of 10 punctuated digits.
But on the N66U, you might see a few "ug"s instead.
You can do this from Tools>System — no need to ssh or telnet."

Oh my God...
RT-N66U is here and
every time when I execute it I don't have any result without "ug" !!!
0.1.2.3.ug.5.6.7.8.9.
ug.1.ug.ug.ug.5.ug.7.8.ug.
ug.1.2.3.ug.ug.ug.ug.8.ug.
etc.

I did same test on E2000 and it works fine without "ug" all the time.
"0.1.2.3.4.5.6.7.8.9." Good result !

P.S. On both routers I have last version of Toastman f/w.
I would like to know results of such test with DD-WRT on RT-N66U...

P.P.S. I put exactly same post on others sites...

Use it like this and you can get rid of the bug:
"for i in 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9; do /bin/sh bug $i; done"

It's not an ideal way but at least it's working.

thE_29
04-24-2012, 08:51 AM
The problem is, that you have to change ANY scripts.. Otherwhise you will get some defunctions and thats why it is pretty much unusable.. (if you want to run scripts on the router)

csekmet
04-24-2012, 09:14 AM
The problem is, that you have to change ANY scripts.. Otherwhise you will get some defunctions and thats why it is pretty much unusable.. (if you want to run scripts on the router)

I agree it's unstable and unusable. All I said is a temporary workaround until it's fixed. I'm also facing the same issue (see my posts 5 pages back)

thE_29
04-24-2012, 09:40 AM
I will give RMerlin´s custom build a try, but currently I have no time to play with the router... :/

Gitsum
04-25-2012, 12:49 AM
What is the significance of this "ug" you guys are talking about?
I've been using Shibby v092 with an uptime of 5 days without any problems.

thE_29
04-25-2012, 03:08 AM
The bug which we are talking about is, that in shell scripts with the Shebang the $1 param has the value of $0 but the first char is missing.

And $0 is always the calling-name. In this case it would be "bug" (because thats the script name) and without the first character it is "ug".

sumsar
04-26-2012, 10:54 PM
Regarding Tomato.

I need to find a way how to stop WAN DHCP lease renew messages from entering the log?

My new ISP has a lease time of 60 seconds and the result is that my log files are totally cluttered with lease renew messages every 30th second.

Anyone know the command line for restarting the minimalistic dhcp client "udhcpc" with syslogging disabled?

SOLVED:

just run

killall udhcpc
udhcpc -i vlan2 -b -s dhcpc-event -H RT-N66U -m

at wanup

Protos
05-13-2012, 05:59 PM
Anyone manage to get guestnetworks going with the latest shibby ?

I have setup, but they are not visible from any clients.